“Will Rogers High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma is a fine example of Public Works Administration (PWA) Art Deco architecture. PWA was established under U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt to boost public building programs during the 1930s depression. Architects Joseph R…. read more
The College of Charleston’s Willard A. Silcox Physical Education and Health Center gymnasium was a WPA project.
The original parts of this school were constructed in 1915 with a cut rock base, brick and cut rock accents. The north side of the school, which faces the paved playground/parking area, is the main entry to the school. In… read more
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of what was then the University of Arkansas-Little Rock’s medical school; construction occurred from 1933 to 1935. The building now houses the William H. Bowen School of Law.
The William H. Robinson Science Building at North Carolina Central University in Durham, North Carolina, was constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression. A National Register of Historic Places nomination form states that… read more
William J. Gaynor Junior High School, I.S. 49, in Brooklyn, New York, was constructed during the 1930s with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA docket number was NY 1075R. The building is still in use today.
William Jones Building, formerly Albert Lewis Turner Hall, at North Carolina Central University in Durham, North Carolina, was constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression. The building has since been expanded. A… read more
“The Wilshire Junior High School site has been in continuous use for educational purposes since 1890, when the first red brick schoolhouse was built at the northeast corner of Lemon Street and Wilshire Avenue. Other school facilities were constructed on… read more
The Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) conducted improvement work at Maynard’s former Wilson School, including the installation of smoke partitions. The Work Projects Administration (W.P.A.) conducted further work in 1941. All school buildings in the town “on the exterior have been… read more
All 17 schoolhouses in Framingham, Massachusetts were painted, remodeled, and/or repaired with federally funded labor during the Great Depression. The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) was most likely the agency involved with work at the Wilson School. The structures of the… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided funds and labor for work on what is now known as the Winklepleck Memorial Library in Odon, Indiana.
The old Winston County Library was the first public libary in Winston County, Mississippi. The Colonial Revival, 1-story building is currently in use as a Girl Scout Hut. “The building is eligible [for Mississippi landmark status] as an intact example… read more
Plans for a new men’s dormitory at Stephen F. Austin were approved in 1933. By the end of that year, President Dr. Alton Birdwell and Business Manager J. H. Wisely went to San Antonio to appear before the Public Works… read more
The CWA removed debris at this site. According to the marker, San Joaquin Valley College originally stood at this site and was replaced in 1890 by Woods Elementary School. This school was pulled down in 1922. In 1934, the Woodbridge… read more
"This school made possible the abandonment of four dilapidated portable buildings which were being used for classes due to the extreme overcrowding of the two existing elementary schools. The project and its equipment are planned for a future addition which… read more
The WPA reconstructed the gym building at Woodrow Wilson High School, most likely after the 1933 earthquake.
Oxford, Massachusetts’s old Woodward School received assistance from multiple New Deal programs during the 1930s. In 1933 the Civil Works Administration (CWA) graded a playground at the school and painted and decorated the building, a project which, town reports state,… read more
The federal Public Works Administration helped to finance the construction of three buildings at the Wyoming State Training School in Lander, Wyoming during the 1930s. A new addition was constructed for the girls’ dormitory; a new boys’ dormitory was built;… read more