In June 1938 the PWA approved an $8,181 grant toward the construction of Borger High School’s football stadium. However, due to delays in obtaining the grant the stadium had been already built. “The school board undoubtedly will seek to keep… read more
This eight room frame building was constructed by the National Youth Administration for use by African American students in the segregated school system of Tate County, near the town of Senatobia, Mississippi. It was completed in 1938, replacing the one… read more
The history of Boyle Stadium, which is located behind Stamford High School, is detailed on the school’s website: “Beginning in 1935, federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds helped support the construction behind Stamford High of the [premier] high school stadium… read more
The Reptile Farm had originally opened in 1933 in close proximity to the Witte Museum. It would move twice before coming to this final location in 1937 when permanent stone structures replaced the temporary structures made of planks, barbed wire… read more
The WPA completed this law school building in 1938-39 when it was known simply as the University of Louisville Law School. The project submitter reports that the building’s WPA heritage is locally known, and is also referenced in a letter… read more
“Constructed with locally available building materials in the traditions of the Rustic Style, the Brenham High School Gymnasium combines a native fieldstone veneer with metal factory-sash and massing reminiscent of the International Style. Ranging from 1 to 3 stories, the… read more
Text from the state historical marker reads: “The community’s first school was housed in a multi-purpose building erected here in 1870. The Bristol School district was established in 1877. Youth from throughout the area attended Bristol schoolhouse built in 1886… read more
According to a Brooklyn Children’s Museum history: 1930s “The Work Progress Administration (WPA) brings more than 200 docents, artists, carpenters, printers, and clerks to work at the Museum during the Depression. Over 200 volunteers support museum projects including the construction… read more
Boylan Hall is one of the original buildings on the Brooklyn College campus, serving originally as the Administrative and Academic Building. It was constructed as part of a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken during the Great Depression.
The buildings of Brooklyn College were financed by a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken during the Great Depression. After the buildings were constructed, Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers worked on improving the campus, primarily through landscaping efforts, beginning in 1938…. read more
The Brooklyn College Library is one of the original buildings on the campus, part of a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken in 1935-37. Construction on the library building began in 1936. The library houses WPA murals by Olindo Mario… read more
Roosevelt Hall is one of the five original buildings on the Brooklyn College campus, then serving as the school’s gymnasium. It was built as part of a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken during the Great Depression, 1935-37. Construction took place ca. 1936.
This photograph shows a life drawing “…class for adults at the Brooklyn Museum, under the auspice of the New York City WPA Art Project, ca. 1935” (Smithsonian Archives of American Art).
The WPA made extensive improvements to Brush School, Santa Rosa, California, under Official Project Number 65-3-364. The work to the one-room school house included building stone retaining walls, a playground and a presumed tennis court (Goddard, 1976: 72-74). Though now… read more
Rainbow Point was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) in 1939, and it has three different components. First is the overlook area. This has been refurbished in recent years, but the original stone and metal railings can be seen outside of the… read more
In 1942, the Washington Post reported the allocation of $11,382 to the FWA for new construction and/or improvements to the Buchanan Recreation Center adjacent to the Buchanan School in the city’s southeast quadrant. The school closed in 1998, and now… read more
The WPA was established in Baxter County in fall 1935, and the school was one of the first major projects undertaken by the agency in North Arkansas (Story, 1992). The “irregular-plan, single-story building” featured Craftsman influence of “exposed rafters and… read more
"A full, two-story school was anticipated to cost $209,000 in 1938, but the only money forthcoming was a generous grant from the federal Public Works Administration. This $111,200 paid for construction of the buildings partial basement and six rooms on… read more
In 1943, the Washington Post reported approval of FWA work on the Bunker Hill School in the district’s northeast quadrant, to complete three unfinished rooms. The Bunker Hill School is now part of the Brookland Education Campus, and the original… read more