In 1939, the federal Work Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop Austin Cary Forest, a UCF facility used for “the purposes of academic teaching, research, extension education, and demonstration“. The WPA “built roads, buildings, and water draining ditches. And 100,000… read more
The old Avondale Elementary School building facing the street at 295 Western Ave., which is now an administrative building for the Avondale Elementary School District was built by the WPA, as is the school’s current gymnasium. These are most likely… read more
B. N. Duke Auditorium at North Carolina Central University in Durham, North Carolina, was constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression. The building is located on the east side of Fayetteville Road… read more
“The building is two stories and a basement in height and, due to sloping site, part of the basement is entirely above grade. The basement contains locker and shower rooms, a cafeteria, kitchen, club rooms, assembly room, industrial-arts rooms, shops,… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) constructed a gymnasium at the old high school for the Bain school district in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (now within the city limits of Mint Hill). The structure, whose exact location is unknown to… read more
The Bald Creek Elementary School and accompanying gym were constructed in 1938 with the assistance of the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA).
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to construct a athletic field at Baltimore City College. Maryland WPA Project #15.
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) and/or Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) funded the labor for and materials for improvements to the since-demolished Banigan City School building in Millville, Massachusetts. Improvements included painting, for which the federal government also paid for… read more
Evidence of Works Progress Administration (WPA) involvement in the former Banning High School building, now Nicolet Middle School, comes from a non-copyrighted pamphlet with no clear title or page number, that was handed out at the 2005 all-class reunion of… read more
Bardo Gymnasium, now a part of the Pennsylvania College of Technology, was originally built as part of Williamsport High School. Sometimes mis-attributed to the WPA, the gym was constructed in 1936-7 with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA)… read more
Barnes Hall on the campus of Central Michigan University was constructed during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $119,250 grant. Construction occurred between October 1938 and 1939. “Barnes Hall started… read more
Originally built as the town’s high school, the elementary school in Basalt, Colorado was constructed during the Great Depression. Its construction was enabled by a $20,970 federal Public Works Administration (PWA) grant, which covered nearly half of the eventual $46,504… read more
This densely forested area in the 30’s was marginal land having been logged and overgrazed. This prompted the purchase of these marginal farms which were nearly bankrupt and the formation of the Baskett Wildlife Research and Education Center, a function… read more
In 1933/4 the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) furnished the labor for redecoration / painting full interior of the now-former Beach Park School in West Hartford, Connecticut. The building now houses the School for Young Children at the University of… read more
The Beaver Dam school in Bleckley County, Georgia, served African-American children and was rebuilt by the WPA between 1935 and 1936. (Current status and exact location within Bleckley County unknown to the Living New Deal)