"President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal programs put people to work. Young men in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built flood control projects at Elephant Butte Dam. Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers built three schools in Las Cruces, including Court… read more
A one-story frame and stucco building, approximately 4000 square feet, and including landscaping and general work. "The school had been badly crowded, therefore, the Orchestra and Glee Club classes were held in the same building with other classes which was… read more
New Deal-funded crews built an addition to the Calvert School, now Cranston Calvert Elementary. The school closed in 2013, though the building remains standing as of May 2015. The Newport Mercury, linked below, suggests that funding was through the PWA:… read more
Multiple New Deal-supported construction projects were undertaken on the campus of South Carolina State University during the Great Depression. “[T]his large two-story brick building was designed by Professors Paul V. Jewell and John H. Blanche. Financed by the Work Projects… read more
Creeds School was constructed for the 1939-40 school year with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration. The twelve-room structure served students from first grade through high school in the rural community of Creeds in Princess Anne County, Virginia. In… read more
This “garage-type log building” was constructed in 1939 by the 768th company of the Arkansas CCC. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Crossett Experimental Forest is located about 11 km south of the town of Crossett in Ashley County, Arkansas. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration began the project in 1933 with “13 miles of pick-and-shovel-built FERA roads” (Reynolds). Firelines were built… read more
Crowder Hall is another of the “White Campus” projects and was and is the home to the University ROTC program. It was named after Enoch Crowder, Professor of Military Science at MU.
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) sponsored a large school/addition construction project in Cuba, New York during the Great Depression. The PWA provided a $247,500 grant for the project, whose total cost was $544,637. Construction occurred between Jan. 1938 and… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor conducted improvements at the since-demolished Cushman School in Boston, Massachusetts. The facility was located at 44 Prince St. WPA Bulletin: To insure the safety of pupils in the Cushman School, North End, WPA has rebuilt… read more
Petrachrome mural by Grace Clements. “Damien High is renovating their physical plant and the music building was one of the structures that needed some T.L.C. While removing the stucco that covered the building’s facade the mural was uncovered. What the… read more
Then the Bonita Union High School, this school received extensive WPA support after the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. According the a 1939 WPA Accomplishment Report for Southern California, the federal government spent $63,927 on the school out of a total… read more
1 of 27 schools in the Pasadena CA school system that the New Deal, whether the WPA or PWA, was involved in reconstructing, demolishing, or reinforcing after the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. Was built in 1926 in a Gothic style… read more
“The Daniel Webster High School is a two-story and basement structure which contains 15 classrooms, a library, 2 cafeterias, a lecture room, corrective gymnasium, girls’ gymnasium, auditorium seating 400, domestic-science department, 2 manual training rooms, 3 laboratories, offices, swimming pool,… read more
Davis College, a building on the University of South Carolina campus in Columbia, South Carolina, presently houses the school’s College of Library and Information Science. The building was improved with New Deal funds. The school’s building history page states: “In… read more
Rehabilitated and completed most of museum building, ventilation and heating.–Healy, p. 71. Unfortunately, this building was severely damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. It was eventually demolished and replaced with the new structure which opened in 2005.
The WPA conducted improvements, including a sewage disposal plant, at the State Negro College, which was established in 1921. From the Delaware Public Archives: “On June 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees of the State College for colored students, later… read more
The annex to the Hill Demonstration School was constructed with funds from the WPA. The building was dedicated in 1939 and named for the director of the demonstration school. The Art Moderne building was designed by campus engineer J. S…. read more
PWA Project Miss. 1225 was constructed at Delta State Teacher’s College (now Delta State University) in 1938 (MDAH) to serve as part of training in applied home management. Currently named Marshall House, the building is a residence for the Vice… read more