1 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 60
  • High School - Siloam Springs AR
    A Work Progress Administration marker is encased in a brick monument on the grounds of Southside Elementary School, on the West Tulsa Street (north) side of the school property. According to the Shiloh Museum of Ozark History, the WPA constructed a high school here in 1940. It remained on this property until 1994, when it was demolished to make way for the construction of the current elementary school. The bricks of the monument are actual bricks from the old WPA school, and the concrete WPA stone is the original cornerstone from the building.
  • High School - Skykomish WA
    Skykomish High School was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $56,250 grant for the project, whose total cost was $127,331. PWA Docket No. WA 1146
  • High School - Union City OK
    The Union City High School building was constructed in 1937 under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works program, later named the Public Works Administration (PWA).
  • High School - Walnut MS
    Tippah County school at Walnut, received a $9800 loan and$6216 grant from Public Works Administration project 2713 for construction of a new school building after the old one burned in March 1933. The project was approved December 26, 1933. Construction started June 16, 1934 and was completed September 18, 1934. The architect was Walter R. Nelson of Memphis. The one-story red brick-veneered building in Colonial Revival style remains in use as the high school. An addition to the rear elevation was added in 1949.
  • High School (demolished) - Auburn MA
    The former high school in Auburn, Massachusetts was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. "For the past two decades, the increasing cost of tuition and transportation of pupils to Worcester caused agitation for an Auburn high school, and while land had been acquired on the Dunn property on Auburn Street in 1926 for such a school, it was not until a special town meeting held August 29, 1933, that $250,000 was appropriated. Federal aid was sought under the provisions of the Public Works Administration and on March 5, 1935, the plans drawn by Lucius W. Briggs,...
  • High School (demolished) - Burlington WY
    A high school in Burlington, Wyoming was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. Completed in 1939, the facility has since been demolished. PWA Docket No. WY 1064
  • High School (demolished) - Evanston WY
    The former high school in Evanston, Wyoming was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression. Construction was performed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and completed in 1936. PWA Docket No. WY 1023-R. According to the 1936-37 and 1949 high school yearbooks, the high school opened to students in 1937. "In May of 1936 the old Hallock building was torn down and a new high school building was begun under the direction of the Jacobson Construction Company of Salt Lake City, Utah, with employment furnished by the W. P. A. In January, 1937, some lucky students moved...
  • High School (demolished) - Hurricane UT
    "A two-story red brick high school building was built during the Great Depression with help from the federal government’s Works Progress Administration. The building was completed and the school opened just after Thanksgiving in 1936." The building was demolished in 2004.
  • High School (demolished) - Jonesport ME
    "REPORT OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE TOWN OF JONESPORT SCHOOL DISTRICT To the Municipal Officers and Citizens of the Town of Jonesport: In accord with the provisions of Section 3 of "AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE TOWN OF JONESPORT SCHOOL DISTRICT" (S. P. 253—L. D. 203), it becomes our duty as members of the Board of Trustees to submit a report of the doings and the financial condition of said District for the fiscal year ending March 1938. This Project was set up under the provisions and with the cooperation of the United States Administration of Public Works and the Town...
  • High School (demolished) - Monahans TX
    A high school building in Monahans, Texas was constructed with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $57,043 grant for the project, whose total cost was $127,845. Construction began in April 1936 and was completed in March 1937. The school, which was located on the west side of what was then known as S. Guadalupe (now S. Betty Ave.), south of W. Hayes (W. 6th St.), has since been demolished. The site is now occupied by the Jerry Larned Sports Center. PWA Docket No. 1203
  • High School (demolished) Additions - Butler AL
    The Alabama state archive has a photograph showing the construction of an addition to the High School by the Civil Works Administration (CWA). With the help of the city clerk, we've located the old high school which has been torn down. The photos here show an old gymnasium that might have been a New Deal project given how common towns requested help with gym construction during the New Deal period.
  • High School (demolished) Athletic Field - Sheridan WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) "added a practice field newly leveled and landscaped" at the since-demolished high school in Sheridan, Wyoming in 1933/4. The school, which was dedicated in 1926, served as the high school until 1987. It later became a junior high school and has since been demolished. The current Sheridan Junior High School occupies the site, which was on the south side of Lewis Street between Bellevue Ave. and Adair Ave.
  • High School (demolished) Improvements - Thermopolis WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted improvement work at a former high school building in Thermopolis, Wyoming in 1933/4: "At Thermopolis, the high school steps, a hundred feet long, were raised."
  • High School (demolished) Painting - Darby PA
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) painted the interior of the senior high school in Darby, Pennsylvania. The school, which was located on the east side of S 7th St. between Walnut St. and Spruce St., is no longer extant.
  • High School (former) - Basehor KS
    Basehor, Kansas received a new school in 1938, constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The facility, which Living New Deal believes is that located at 3102 155th St, now houses the Sixth Grade Center. An inscription above the main entrance reads: RURAL HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 3 BASEHOR KANSAS The PWA provided a $24,627 grant for the project, whose total cost was $55,889. Construction started in Nov. 1937 and was completed in Jul. 1938. PWA Docket No. Kan. 1114.
  • High School (former) - Booneville MS
    The Booneville High School was damaged by the Tupelo tornado in 1936 and subsequently demolished. Stevens & Johnson designed a new building to be constructed on the old site on Fourth Street. R. B. Wall, Mississippi WPA deputy administrator announced the new Booneville High School building was the 118th WPA school construction project. The new $90,000 buff-colored brick building was dedicated in September 1938. The building was sold in 1993 following the construction of a new high school, and is used as a senior care facility.
  • High School (former) - Burlington MA
    Formerly Burlington's high school, what is now a municipal building at 61 Center St. was constructed as a New Deal project with Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) assistance. The P.W.A. supplied a $76,950 grant for the project, whose total cost was $163,411. The cornerstone was laid on Dec. 3, 1938 and the building was put into use in Sept. 1939, though formal dedication didn't occur until Oct. 12, 1939. PWA Docket No. MA 1437 The building's design is most unusual for its era, and the building has been extensively renovated. The only real architectural cue of the building's heritage is its 1938 cornerstone. Town reports thoroughly...
  • High School (former) - Chandler OK
    "The former Chandler High School, located at 515 Steele in the northwest section of Chandler was constructed by the WPA during a three-three period beginning in 1940, at a cost of almost $110,000. This is a beautiful building in the Art Moderne style, accentuating the horizontal lines... It is a beautiful building, even today. At the entrance on the east side, and the doors on the north and south are cast ornamental plaques depicting various school-related activities. There are also etched quotations. The school opened on September 7, 1942 and remained open until 1994. When the school closed, the building continued to house...
  • High School (former) - Chester NY
    Chester, New York's former high school was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration funds during the 1930s (PWA Docket No. NY 1205). The building is now home to the Chester Learning Center.
  • High School (former) - Christine TX
    A high school construction project in Leming, Texas was undertaken during the Great Depression with the assistance of Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $25,200 grant for the project, whose total cost was $56,622. Construction began in Feb. 1936 and was largely completed in December. The exact location and current status of the structure is presently unknown to Living New Deal, though we believe it to be demolished. PWA Docket No. Tex. 1344
  • High School (former) - Clarksville TN
    The Clarksville High School received a 1935 addition to the building, funded by PWA, city, and Board of Education. PWA funded $14,000 of the total cost of $50,525. State PWA engineer was Thomas H. Allen, and Katterjohn was the low-bid contractor with 100 days to complete the project. The addition included a new gymnasium, four new classrooms, new library, enlargement of study halls, and renovation of old library to a commercial department and old gymnasium to a cafeteria. Architect was Clarence Speight. In addition, CCC enrollees attended adult education provided by WPA in the school, and E. R. Lingerfelt, state...
  • High School (former) - Clint TX
    The community of Clint, Texas needed a new high school facility after a devastating fire in 1934. What became Clint's then-new high school building, constructed in 1936, was made possible with a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) grant. The PWA supplied a $27,585 grant toward the eventual $63,606 total cost of the project. Construction occurred between March and October 1936. The current status of the New Deal building is unknown; the land on which the facility was built is part of what is now a much larger educational campus for the town of Clint. P.W.A. Docket No. TX 1037
  • High School (former) - East Haven CT
    The former East Haven High School was constructed as a New Deal project with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. supplied a $185,153 grant for the project, whose total cost was $427,035. Construction occurred between March and December 1936. No longer used for educational purposes, East Haven is converting the facility into a 70-unit senior housing facility. P.W.A. Docket No. CT 1026
  • High School (former) - Greybull WY
    A former school building in Greybull, Wyoming was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The PWA supplied a $85,909 grant for the project, whose total cost was $196,762. Construction occurred between Nov. 1936 and Feb. 1938. The exact location and status of the facility is unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. WY 1049
  • High School (former) - Hawley PA
    The former Hawley High School, located at Atkinson St. & School Ave., was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $53,286 grant for the project, whose total cost was $119,865. Construction occurred between Dec. 1937 and Nov. 1938. PWA Docket No. PA 1656
  • High School (former) - Kennewick WA
    The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds provided funding for the construction of the old 1936 high school in Kennewick, Washington. The PWA provided a grant of $56,454; the total cost of the project was $140,054. The building has since been demolished.
  • High School (former) - Keystone MT
    The WPA allocated $5,093 for the construction of a new high school building in Keystone, Montana. Now a ghost town, Keystone has no active schools. The exact location and current status of the building is unknown.
  • High School (former) - Leming TX
    A high school construction project in Leming, Texas was undertaken during the Great Depression with the assistance of Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $6,000 loan and $2,333 grant for the project, whose total cost was $8,512. Construction began in Oct. 1935 and was largely completed in Mar. 1936. The exact location and current status of the structure is presently unknown to Living New Deal. A visit to Leming revealed one former school building that fit the architectural bill of a school constructed during that era, now part of a sheriff's annex at the southeast corner of U.S....
  • High School (former) - Moxee WA
    The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds provided funding for the construction of the old 1936 high school in Moxee, Washington. The PWA provided a grant of $29,176; the total cost of the project was $69,437. The current function of the building, which still stands, is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • High School (former) - New Woodstock NY
    The former high school building on School St. in New Woodstock, New York was constructed in 1938 as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. The building, which has been added to since its construction, is now privately owned and. As of 2017, it appears to be used primarily as storage, although the U.S. Postal Service is also a tenant in the south wing (an extension) of the building. P.W.A. Docket No. NY 1489-D.S.
  • High School (former) - Nortonville KS
    A high school construction project in Nortonville, Kansas was undertaken as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The project was mutually sponsored by Jefferson and Atchison counties (Nortonville lies right on the county line, in Jefferson). The PWA provided an $30,272 grant for the project, whose total cost was $59,407. Construction started in Jan. 1937 and was completed in Jul. 1937. As of 2023 the building is privately owned, and appear to be a residence. PWA Docket No. Kan. 1068.
  • High School (former) - Old Glory TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided funds to construct a new school building in Old Glory after the older school burned. Demolition of the burned school was included in the project. Salvaged bricks from the old structure were used, as well as new materials. The school district provided $25,784.75 and WPA provided $5,960. Project supervisor was W. R. Scott and employed 55 men for five months to construct the new building and adjacent grounds beautification. The new building was dedicated January 1938 and contained 11 rooms and a combination gymnasium-auditorium. The auditorium seated 500.An $8,000 bond issue was voted in...
  • High School (former) - Waynesboro PA
    A high school in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania was constructed between March 1936 and April 1937, enabled by the provision of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) grant. The New Deal grant amounted to $144,855 toward the $322,230 eventual total cost of the project. The location of the building is unknown to Living New Deal, though we suspect it has since been demolished. PWA Docket No. Penn. 1171
  • High School (former) Addition - Beacon NY
    The old high school in Beacon, New York served as the city's high school from 1913 to 2002. An extension was built to the school during the 1930s with federal Public Works Administration funds (PWA Docket No. NY 1217-DS).
  • High School (former) Addition - Buffalo WY
    The former high school in Buffalo, Wyoming received an addition as part of a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. Construction was completed in 1936. The location and present status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. WY 1008-R
  • High School (former) Addition - Craig CO
    During the Great Depression, the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a grant enabling the construction of a new addition to the then-high school in Craig, Colorado. Construction occurred between 1935 and 1936. The exact location and status of the building are presently unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. CO 1056
  • High School (former) Addition - Danbury CT
    A high school addition project was undertaken in Danbury as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. Living New Deal believes this to be Danbury's former high school, now known as White Hall or Ives Concert Hall. Located at the northeast corner of White Street and 5th Avenue, the building was originally constructed in 1925. The P.W.A. supplied a $52,600 grant for the project, whose total cost was $583,095. Construction occurred between Aug. 1938 and Apr. 1939. P.W.A. Docket No. CT 1258
  • High School (former) Addition - Green River WY
    An addition to the former high school in Green River, Wyoming was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. Construction was completed in 1937. The exact location and status of the facility is unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. WY 1030-D
  • High School (former) Addition - Plattsburgh NY
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a two-story addition to the old high school in Plattsburgh, New York. The addition was completed in 1938. However, the exact location and present status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • High School (former) Addition - Riverton WY
    The former high school in Riverton, Wyoming received a two-wing addition as part of a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. Construction was completed in 1936. The location and present status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. WY 1015-R
1 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 60