1 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 60
  • Glendale High School - Glendale CA
    The Works Progress Administration improved a playground on the site of the Glendale High School.
  • Glendale School - Glen MS
    Public Works Administration project 1083 funded the construction of the Glendale School in Alcorn County Mississippi. A loan of $8,500 and grant of $6,954 was approved 9/25/1935. Construction started 2/10/1936 and was completed 1/18/1937 for a total of $15,581. The newspaper accounts identify approval for a school building and annex.
  • Glendora School - Glendora CA
    The 1939 WPA Accomplishment Report for Southern California reports that the WPA demolished and reconstructed a school building in the Glendora school district. Exact location and current status unknown.
  • Glenn H. Curtiss Memorial School (former) - Hammondsport NY
    The Works Progress Administration built the Glenn H. Curtiss Memorial School in Hammondsport NY. Originally the facility was the K-12 central school for Hammondsport, NY. It opened in 1936 and closed in 2010. Now in private hands.
  • Glenrose School (former) - Glenrose WA
    A WPA press release from Nov. 1937 reported: "More than 150 schools have been repaired and the grounds improved and landscaped , and five brand new schools in the state were erected entirely by WPA with a small percentage of sponsored funds," among which was a new school in Glenrose, Washington. The precise location and the present status of the school building are unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Godley School - Godley TX
    Text from the state historical marker reads: "The town of Godley began in 1886, as rancher and lumber merchant B. B. Godley donated land for a townsite and right-of-way to the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad. Predating the railroad town was the local school, as Johnson County Commissioners Court formed Godley Independent School District in July 1884. Dr. John I. Pearson was one of the earliest teachers. Godley College began in 1899 in a three-story frame building, becoming Godley High School three years later. A three-story brick building opened in time for graduation in 1916. Godley School experienced great growth...
  • Gonzales Junior High School Auditorium-Gymnasium and School Building - Gonzales TX
    The building plaque mentions that the structure was erected A.D. 1941 and built by the Work Progress Administration, Project No. 18286. A plaque on the Vocational Agriculture Building notes that the structure was erected A.D. 1940 by the National Youth Administration - 847.
  • Goodland Academy - Hugo OK
    “Because the private Goodland Academy was consolidated with an adjacent public school district in the 1930s, the Presbyterian-sponsored orphanage that was founded in the nineteenth century was given WPA funds to add buildings to its campus. A grade school building, gym/auditorium, a shop building, and a hospital were added. The school and gym are still used as intended. The buildings are unique in that  pieces of white quartz are used in a decorative manner throughout the stone work of the buildings. Although (as of 2012) Goodland is planning additional construction, the old buildings will be retained. Administrator David Dearinger estimated that...
  • Goodrich School - Goodrich TX
    The Public Works Administration index of non-federal projects lists a school project for Goodrich, Texas under docket 6287. This may have been funding for the Goodrich School which was built in 1934. A plaque by the flagpole indicates Works Progress Administration involvement at the school—likely, at least in part, constructing surrounding sidewalks—from 1935 to 1937. The school was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 2011. The historical marker reads: "Goodrich is one of the few existing area schools known to be created through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). Construction of the Jeffersonian style building began May 2, 1934 under...
  • Goodson Memorial School - Folsom NM
    "Goodson Memorial School represents one of many federal relief efforts to lift devastated areas of Union County out of the effects of the Dust Bowl and Depression. Located in the northeast corner of New Mexico, Union County was situated near the heart of the Dust Bowl of the southern High Plains, with its small ranching and farming and homestead communities, devastated by successive waves of drought years. Along with federal aid given locally to farmers and ranchers to keep them out of foreclosure, the Works Progress Administration worked actively to build infrastructure in small communities throughout Union County by constructing...
  • Gorman School - Gorman CA
    The Gorman School was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939.  The Mission Revival style design (red tile roof, beige stucco) was common for New Deal buildings in California.  The stone retaining wall and sidewalk are probably WPA, as well. The original school building had only two classrooms, but a new building has been added to the south.  The old building has changed very little in appearance. The school sits in a relatively isolated spot, as Gorman is a dispersed, mountainous rural area near Fort Tejon along Interstate 5.   It is still in use as an elementary school.
  • Grade School - Crowell TX
    One story multi-colored brick on the east side of the 1929 High School. Has a WPA marker to the left of the entrance: Works Progress Administration 1935-1937. (other source says the cornerstone says 1938, unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the cornerstone so I can't verify).
  • Grade School - Lingle WY
    A grade school in Lingle, Wyoming was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The P.W.A. supplied a $39,383 grant for the project, whose total cost was $87,761. The New Deal structure, which lies on the north side of 3rd Street, is now part a larger educational campus. PWA Docket No. WY 1073
  • Grade School (demolished) - Cokeville WY
    The former Grade School building in Cokeville, Wyoming was constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. Construction was completed in 1939. The building, which Living New Deal believes to have been located along Pine Street, has since been demolished and replaced with a newer educational campus. PWA Docket No. WY 1057-DS
  • Grade School (demolished) Improvements - Boone NC
    A grade school facility for Boone, NC at the corner of what was then the intersection of Locust Street and College Street was improved by the efforts of the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). The CWA re-graded the school playground; worked on the flooring; and remodeled the school lunch room. The FERA completed the school gymnasium. The building has since been demolished.
  • Grade School (former) - Egbert / Golden Prairie WY
    A grade school building for Egbert and Golden Prairie, Laramie County, Wyoming was constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. Construction on the building was completed in 1939, though operations were discontinued as part of rural school consolidation in 1959. The location and present status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. WY 1020-R
  • Grade School (former) - Gillette WY
    A former grade school building in Gillette, Wyoming was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The PWA supplied a $52,869 grant for the project, whose total cost was $121,432. Construction occurred between Dec. 1937 and Oct. 1938. The exact location and status of the facility is unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. WY 1055-DS
  • Grade School (former) - Huntley WY
    "Huntley is a census-designated place (CDP) in Goshen County, Wyoming, United States. The population was 30 at the 2010 census." (Wikipedia) While Huntley no longer maintains any educational facilities, the town received a new grade school whose construction was enabled by federal Public Works Administration funds during the 1930s (PWA Docket No. 1051 DS). The building is located within a dirt road loop just off the south end of local road 92. As of 2014 the old school building still stands, though its current use is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Grafton Public School (former) - Grafton ND
    The former Grafton Public School building, located on the west side of Griggs Ave. between W 7th and W 8th Streets, was constructed in 1935 with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $95,000 loan and $41,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $150,635. PWA Project No. ND 6426
  • Graham Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Graham Elementary School, which opened in 1924, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with me...
  • Graham Gymnasium - Silver City NM
    "Graham Gymnasium at Western New Mexico University in Silver City was built and other buildings were remodeled with WPA funds. The sidewalks, streets and the riverwalk park were a part of the projects. The banks of the Mimbres River in the walk area are shorn up with rock work, a trademark of much of the WPA construction." -Phyllis Eileen Banks
  • Graham High School - Graham TX
    Graham High School was constructed in 1939 by the CCC camp in Graham (Holub). Wiley G. Clarkson was the architect, and the school is listed as one of his accomplishments (Clarkson & Co.). Clarkson is documented as having been one of the leading architects in Texas who worked with the WPA (and presumably, other New Deal agencies as he worked throughout the 1930s). The cost of the building was placed at $289,000 by Clarkson. The school remains in use, although a new auditorium has been added to the rear of the school. The new additions are complimentary in design to...
  • Graham School - Graham MO
    In 1938, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed work on the Graham School, a large 2-story school with a brick façade, designed by H.D. Pampel and featuring concrete highlights and carvings. The building is now the Nodaway-Holt High School.
  • Grammar School - Fulton MS
    The Fulton Grammar School was completed in 1940 with a WPA grant, following the loss of the old grammar school by fire in April. The one story brick school was designed by architect J. B. Lawson. Containing 19 rooms, the school housed a library, music room, kindergarten, office, and a 550-seat auditorium. WPA provided funds between $48,008-$74,590. The school closed in 1999, was named a Mississippi Landmark in 2001 and received grant money in the amount of $168,000 from the Mississippi Arts Commission and $75,000 from the Community Heritage Preservation foundation for renovations. It is currently in used by the...
  • Grammar School - Itta Bena MS
    The Itta Bena Grammar School is a one-story brick, five course common bond building in a standard T-shape constructed 1940 by the National Youth Administration, designed by architect Robert James Moor. It remains in use as of 2018. Itta Bena citizens met in May 1939 to discuss the proposed new elementary school building, and by September, the old building was facing demolition. The National Youth Administration covered the cost of labor for the school building. The $45,000 grammar school building was dedicated February 24, 1941, with an approximate cost of $25,000 to Itta Bena. The dedication ceremony, held in the...
  • Grammar School - Knox City TX
    One story beige brick building. Plaque: KNOX CITY GRAMMAR SCHOOL FEDERAL EMERGENCY ADMINISTRATION OF PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT NO. 1339-R "S.W.T.T.C. Project is Given Approval Fort Worth March 10 Plans and specifications on five PWA projects were approved Tuesday in state PWA offices, and bid opening dates are Knox School, March 30....." "Dr. J.D. Sandefer, president of Hardin-Simmons University, was the principal speaker at the dedication program for the new Knox City grammar school gymnasium and auditorium tonight."
  • Grammar School - Mariposa CA
    This Works Progress Administration grammar school building in Mariposa, CA still functions as the local elementary school. The stonework surrounding the school is classic WPA style, and there are still WPA stamps in the cement, marked 1940. WPA Proj. No. 65-3-2147, $10,644, Oct. 2, 1935, "Complete grammar school, improve grounds. ERA Spa. Mariposa School district." WPA Proj. No. 65-3-3148, $270, March 13, 1936, "Cook to prepare and serve hot lunches for undernourished children from families on relief. At the Mariposa Grammar School." WPA Proj. No. 650-3-3851, $536, December 14, 1936, "School Improvement"
  • Grammar School Addition - Walnut Creek CA
    The Walnut Creek Grammar School operated from 1871 to 1956 to serve a sparse rural population of 1,014 (1930 Census). After being torn down and the hill razed, a plaque marking the former location at Plaza Esquela downtown can be located at the Cheesecake Factory. WPA Project No. 465-03-2-646, App. Date May 26, 1938, $19,329, Total Funds $34,480, Average Employed 43, Federal Man-Hours 20,484, Sponsor: Walnut Creek School District, "Construct classroom addition to the Grammar School building, including heating and electrical facilities, in the town of Walnut Creek, Contra Costa County, and perform work appurtenant and incidental thereto. Project also includes...
  • Grammar School Auditorium (former) - Denair CA
    The former grammar school auditorium in Denair, CA, was constructed from 1939-1940 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
  • Grand View School - Tahlequah OK
    This modest stone schoolhouse was built by the WPA in 1938. It is still in use, although a 1985 Oklahoma Landmarks Survey of the site reveals that by then it had already been altered with extensions: "Originally a four-room school house, the Grand View building is rectangular and constructed of uncut and uncoursed native stone laid in a random rubble pattern. Window jambs and corners have been squared with poured concrete. The roof is hipped with two interior chimneys; a small intersecting hipped roof extends as a cover to an enclosed entryway on the east front. Window openings extend to the...
  • Granger School (former) - Granger WA
    "Work is expected to start immediately on the grounds of Granger School in Yakima County ... in leveling the grounds, installing irrigation pipes and graveling the parking strip. When completed the high and grade schools of the district will have a playfield of four blocks, separated so that the high school pupils will have a baseball diamond and tennis court on one side and the other half be developed for a playground for the smaller children. WPA funds in the amount of $10,777 are provided with the school district contributing $1,352. Twenty men from the WPA Yakima water system project...
  • Grant Elementary School - Santa Monica CA
    In 1936, the Works Project Administration (WPA) completed construction of a new Streamline Moderne–style campus for Grant Elementary School in Santa Monica, CA. The school was designed by architects Donald Parkinson and Joe Estep, who would go on to design Santa Monica City Hall. Grant's original Virginia Avenue campus was one of four Santa Monica schools demolished after suffering severe damage in the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. System-wide renovations cost $3 million dollars.
  • Grant High School - Del Paso CA
      Grant Union High School was built with PWA funding and WPA labor in 1935. The construction included a swimming pool and a stadium with a building housing lockers and dressing rooms. Descriptions of the pool and stadium from the verso's below: "This pool, opened to general public during non-school time, provides swimming facilities for Del Paso Heights Community and surrounding areas thereto. Project 4040 and 4035 rectified a bad muddy condition surrounding the pool and provided dressing room facilities." "New adobe building at Grant Union High School, North Sacramento, California, stadium which houses lockers and dressing rooms for athletes using the facilities of...
  • Grant School (Former) - Webster Groves MO
    Constructed by the WPA in 1939. This was an elementary school in the Lindbergh School District and was sold to the Catholic Church in 1979.  It currently houses a Catholic Academy.
  • Gray Horse School (former) - Gray Horse OK
    Gray Horse (also spelled Grayhorse, Greyhorse) is an Osage Indian ceremonial town in Osage county, Oklahoma. The WPA constructed a school for the town in 1939. "Designed by A.J. Love, architect of many public structures in north east Oklahoma in the early part of 20th century, this was one of, if not his last, designs. Consisting of four class rooms and a large gymnasium/auditorium, it was built with a combination of quarried sandstone, native field stone, and limestone, with liberal use of arched entryways. The combination is striking, even after years of abandonment. The school operated until 1962, when is was...
  • Great Neck Road Elementary School Improvements - Copiague NY
    Sayville's Suffolk County News reported in 1936 that the WPA had allocated $20,248.50 for "landscaping the Copiague school grounds and laying out a baseball diamond, tennis and badminton courts, at a cost of $20,248.50." Living New Deal believes the school in question to be what is now known as the Great Neck Road Elementary School.
  • Greeley Grammar School - Greeley Hill CA
    This mining town took advantage of the New Deal to get aid for the repair of its school, a classic one-room school house, originally built in 1917. "Provide new underpinning under Grammar School, repair of walls, etc." WPA Proj. No. 65-3-3770, December 27, 1935, $1,136.
  • Greenbush School - Greenbush MN
    The WPA built the Greenbush School in Greenbush MN. According to the Greenbush Local Government website: " Superintendent Marvin Lueck, President Dr. H. C. Stone, Treasurer O. K. Christianson, and direc­ tor Matt Kotchevar went to St. Paul to interview members of the educational department, Works Progress Administration (WPA) officials and executive council, and senators and representatives regarding aid to build a new school. Tom Hendrickson and A. W. Clay were also on the school board. The school board decided to build rooms on the school grounds for temporary classrooms. the Works Progress Administration (WPA) started work on a new school in the...
  • Greensville County Training School (former) Addition - Emporia VA
    A 1934 addition to Emporia, Virginia's old Greensville County Training School was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA contributed $16,957 toward the project, whose final cost was $56,533. (PWA Docket No. VA 3495.) According to a National Register of Historic Places registration form: "In 1934, an 8 by 12 foot addition containing classrooms was built onto the rear west wing of the building." The building, abandoned, has had its roof fall in and its windows boarded up. Its future is uncertain.
1 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 60