1 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 60
  • Galax Elementary School - Galax VA
    Galax, Virginia received a new school in 1937 with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The facility replaced a building that burned in 1936. Living New Deal believes the facility to be what is now Galax Elementary School. Construction occurred between January and December 1937. PWA Docket No. VA 1187.
  • Galt School - Galt MO
    This PWA-constructed school is a combination of classrooms and an auditorium that is just south of the high school building.  It has a dark brick façade with the name and date clearly carved into the cornerstone. It is now Grundy County Middle School.
  • Garberville Public School - Garberville CA
    The Garberville School was built by Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works in 1939. Used as public school, and later School district administrative offices, performance space, The Osprey Learning center, and a teen center, the building was in decay, and was declared surplus by the School Board. In 2009 the College of the Redwoods purchased & rehabilitated most of the building as a satellite instructional site. In 2013 a non-profit organization The Redwood Playhouse leased and refurbished the former gymnasium and assembly hall as a performing arts theatre space that has hosted Dance, Music & Theatre Performance, Recitals & Rehearsals, Film Festivals,...
  • Garden Grove High School Improvements - Garden Grove CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements to Garden Grove High School school in the 1930s in response to damage the school suffered during the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) rebuilt the structure now known as Heritage Hall.
  • Garfield Elementary School - Sand Springs OK
    Public elementary school in Sand Springs, Oklahoma. Cornerstone says 1936 so assume that was completion date. The building has been added onto a few times and is still in use as an elementary school. The district's architect says it "has good bones" so the district is implementing a $5.5 million expansion and complete renovation to continue serving up to 500 students for years to come. "The entrance is accessed by two wide sets of concrete stairs, with 7 and 9 steps. The stairs have brick sidewalks. The north and south sections of the building are slightly projected. The building architect and...
  • Garfield Elementary School - Selma CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) constructed this Art Deco style building in the small town of Selma. The bronze plaque specifies that was project No. Calif. 1493-1-DS. The architect, W. D. Coates, also designed the Reedley Junior College for the PWA.
  • Garfield Elementary School Rehabilitation - Long Beach, CA
    The 1933 Long Beach Earthquake destroyed hundreds of schools throughout Southern California. Originally built in 1930, Garfield Elementary School in Long Beach, CA, was rehabilitated by D. Easton Herrald in 1935 with New Deal funding. “On August 29, 1933, Long Beach citizens approved a $4,930,000 bond measure for the rebuilding of schools. Applications for approximately thirty-five schools were filed with the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Public Works Administration (PWA); federal grants up to thirty percent of labor and material costs were obtained. To minimize costs, building materials were salvaged from damaged buildings, some schools were rehabilitated, and new schools were...
  • Garfield School - Mexico MO
    This school addition is located immediately to the west of the previous AP Green factory.  It has a rather unique art deco style on the front and rear façades.
  • Garfield School - Pine Lawn MO
    This well-built school was part of the same 1937 PWA project as the Jefferson School in the  adjacent Pasadena Hills. Unfortunately, this school has not been as well maintained and is currently permanently closed. Extending to the east from the school is a prominent rock wall that is either part of this project or potentially a WPA project.
  • Garfield School (former) - Socorro NM
    A plaque installed on the school building notes that the structure was built by the Works Progress Administration. The school name was later changed to Edward E. Torres School. It was closed in 2015 and is now used by Head Start. Note: The author of this entry taught at Garfield School from 1968 to 1971.
  • Garfield School (former) Improvements - Billings MT
    Now known as "The Garfield Resource Center," the WPA allocated funds toward the remodeling of what was then known as the Garfield School. Work began in 1935.
  • Garland High School Addition - Garland TX
    The first addition to Garland High School (originally built 1919) was added with financial and labor assistance from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1938-1940.
  • Garret Schenck School Repairs - Anson ME
    According to the community notes of April 25, 1935 Garrat Schenck School “During the vacation the FERA workers finished several very much needed bits of work for the school. A table for library use has been made for grade eight and a splendid cabinet has been constructed for scientific apparatus. Shelves have been placed in grades 3 and 4. Scrap lumber left by FERA workers will be utilized by the manual training department in their next project.”
  • Garvanza Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Garvanza Elementary School, which opened in 1899, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with me...
  • Garvey Intermediate School - Rosemead CA
    The Works Progress Administration built the Garvey Intermediate School in Rosemead CA. The work included the demolition of the old building and the construction of a new sixteen-classroom and administration building, with landscaping.
  • Garwood Schoolhouse - Garwood MO
    This building was constructed as a schoolhouse for the rural community of Garwood by the Works Progress Administration of local materials and completed in 1940. The building also served as a community center. It is currently a private residence.  
  • Gary School Grounds Beautification - Tyler TX
    The school is a brick building erected in 1924. There is a rubble rock retaining wall on two sides and a rubble rock stairway. An article entitled "Smith County WPA Projects Get Approval" from Tyler (Texas) Daily Courier Times dated 8/5/1935. "One project of considerable interest to Tyler provides for the landscaping and improvements of the Gary school ground on South Chilton, at approximate cost of $10,000 to $12,000. The plans provide for making the grounds one of the most beautiful in Texas, according to Superintendent J.M. Hodges. They call for a retaining wall around sections washed away, shrubbery around the...
  • Gate School - Gate OK
    L shaped building on the north side of Gate, Beaver County. A description is contained in the NRHP listed below in Sources.
  • Geneva High School Vocational and Home Economics Building - Geneva AL
    The Geneva High School Vocational and Home Economics Building was the first building built at Geneva High School during the 1937-1938 school year. The City of Geneva purchased the land from P.C. Black, Jim Johnson, Jr., and D.H. Morris. The building was built by the Works Progress Administration. Today the building is still used as History and Fine Arts classrooms.
  • Gentry Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
    Gentry Hall was constructed as a women’s dormitory, named after the second female graduate of the University of Missouri. This was part of the “women’s campus” on the east side of the MU campus and in contrast to how things are done now, there was a separation between the sites of the men’s and women’s dorms.
  • George Hall Junior High School - Ogdensburg NY
    Built between 1936 and 1937, the historic junior high school building in Ogdensburg, New York was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building is still in use, part of a larger educational complex. PWA Docket No. NY W1132. "Dec. 5, 1937: With the opening today of 15 classrooms in the elementary and junior high school, Ogdensburg was preparing to meet its educational needs of the present and immediate future by providing a $619,241 addition to its public school system." (Watertown)
  • George Hall Trade School - Ogdensburg NY
    Built between 1936 and 1938, the historic George Hall Trade School building in Ogdensburg, New York was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building is still in use, part of a larger educational complex. PWA Docket No. NY W1133.
  • George L. Vogel Elementary School - Wrentham MA
    In the winter of 1935, the Works Progress Administration started doing work throughout Wrentham, Massachusetts. In 1936, the WPA helped to develop the land for the town's new elementary school, which the town was in dire need of. The WPA workers took part in drainage and grading work. They laid a water pipe for the new school and lined the nearby brook with rocks.
  • George S. Gardiner High School (improvements) - Laurel MS
    Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds in the amount of $13,676 were approved for the Laurel Municipal school district to improve buildings, grounds and facilities at the George S. Gardiner High School and Kingston School. The work at Gardiner was for grounds improvements and reconditioning of the track and football practice areas for the 1922 school.
  • George Washington Carver Middle School – Los Angeles CA
    George Washington Carver Middle School—formerly William McKinley Junior High School—was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. Having originally opened in 1904, the school was renamed in 1943 "to foster racial harmony." Some PWA buildings appear to have survived subsequent reconstruction, but confirmation is needed. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake. One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over...
  • George Washington Carver School - Fulton MO
    George Washington Carver school was a school for African American students in Fulton during segregation.  It underwent integration in the 1960s.  While the structure is now abandoned, there are hopes that it can be rehabilitated.  The school’s namesake was present for the dedication of the building.
  • George Washington Elementary School Renovation - Burbank CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) renovated George Washington Elementary School in Burbank, CA, which had suffered damage in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.
  • George Washington High School - San Francisco CA
    George Washington High School in San Francisco was built with the help of Public Works Administration (PWA) funding. It was completed in 1937.   "This building was constructed to reduce overcrowded conditions in other senior high schools. It has 39 classrooms, boys' and girls' gymnasiums, a large auditorium with stage, a small music hall with platform and sloping floor, numerous special service rooms for sewing, cooking, bookkeeping, and other subjects." (Short and Stanley-Brown, p 240) The high school was part of a larger funding 'docket' from the PWA covering 12 elementary and high-school buildings in San Francisco.  The construction cost of Washington...
  • George Washington High School Auditorium and Athletic Field - San Francisco CA
    Auditorium: 1,850 seats including balcony. Concrete, terra cotta trim. Choral room, band practice room, instrument storage. Athletic field: football field, track, ROTC drill area (boys); basketball, tennis courts, volleyball (girls).
  • George Washington Middle School - Alexandria VA
    George Washington Middle School in Alexandria, VA was completed in 1936. It was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) with a grant of $300,000 made in 1933.   It was originally the George Washington High School, which replaced two prior high schools in the city, Alexandria HS and George Mason HS. The building is a good example of brick Moderne architecture, with low-relief column between the windows and a monumental entrance flanked by columns with eagle heads at the top. The school was converted to a middle school in 1971 as part of a reorganization of the Alexandria City Public Schools System. A...
  • George Washington Preparatory High School - Los Angeles CA
    George Washington Preparatory High School, which opened in 1927, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees...
  • George Washington School (Former) Repairs - St. Thomas VI
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Civil Works Administration carried out “repairs and renewals” work at the George Washington School (renamed Evelyn Marcelli Elementary School, closed in 2012) on St. Thomas.
  • Gibbon Public School - Gibbon NE
    The Gibbon Public School was designed by John P. Helleberg, Kearney architect. The contract for plumbing and heating the school was given to Art Hilberg of Kearney in December 1935. The building was estimated to cost $45,400.00. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a grant in the amount of $20,450.00 toward the building’s construction. The construction of the school was initiated on February 24, 1936 and completed by August.
  • Gideon High School - Gideon MO
    This long, linear high school was constructed as a PWA project in 1937. It is still in active use and in very good condition having been well-maintained.
  • Gipsy School (former) - Gipsy MO
    This one-room stone school house features an unusual entry at its front corner. As of 2014 the building was abandoned and slowly deteriorating.
  • Glassell Park Elementary School STEAM Magnet - Los Angeles CA
    Glassell Park Elementary School (today a STEAM Magnet), which opened in 1912, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of...
  • Glen Park Elementary School - San Francisco CA
    18 classrooms, library, auditorium. See Visitacion Valley Elementary School.
1 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 60