1 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 60
  • Excelsior Union High School (former) - Norwalk CA
    This school was rebuilt with New Deal help after it was damaged by an earthquake in the early thirties. WPA construction included an auditorium and a classroom building, as well as a boiler house. The buildings showcase a combination modernistic and Spanish style. The high school saw its last graduating class off in 1981. The building is now home to the Norwalk Adult School.
  • Exchequer Grammar School (inundated) - Exchequer CA
    The WPA contributed $1,511 toward improvements for the Exchequer Grammar School. The work included the following tasks: "Improve school building lighting, leveling playground & building wall & frame." WPA Proj. No. 65-3-4630, February 8, 1936. Exchequer no longer exists. It was a mining town for the nearby Exchequer Mine and was serviced by the former Yosemite Valley Railroad. When the New Exchequer Dams height was raised in 1967 to increase the reservoir's capacity to 1,032,000 acre⋅ft, the town was inundated.
  • Ezel High School Improvements - Ezel KY
    The National Youth Administration completed improvements at the Ezel High School. A team of 18 NYA boys remodeled an old residence that was converted in the science building. The crew consolidated the foundation, added a sewer line to the street, and completed extensive interior and exterior renovations.
  • F. L. Garrison Memorial School (former) - Shickshinny PA
    The former F. L. Garrison Memorial School was constructed as a New Deal project in 1938-9. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $269,100 grant for the project, whose total cost was $516,456. PWA Docket No. PA 1903
  • Facility Development and Repairs - Ranger TX
    Among the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects identified as completed in a Abilene Daily Reporter article from June 14, 1936 was "Repairs on a girls' dormitory and finishing of an auditorium and recreation building Ranger, at a total cost of $1659. Twenty men were employed for two months." The location and status of these facilities is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Fair Grove Elementary and Agricultural Buildings - Fair Grove MO
    The WPA built an elementary school with agricultural buildings in Fair Grove circa 1935-1937. The site appears to now be used for all grade levels. In 2009, a windstorm with sustained winds of over 100 miles per hour tore off the roof; subsequent repairs in 2013 may have significantly altered the building's original structure.  
  • Fair View School (former) - Russellville AR
    "The Fair View School building is a single-story, T-plan structure built in 1938 by Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor and designed in the Craftsman style . The school building, as well as the two adjoining service buildings (coal house and well shed) was constructed of fieldstone veneer and rests on a continuous concrete foundation." (National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form) The building is last known to be privately owned.
  • Fairfield Township School #2 Addition - North Fairfield OH
    Fairfield Township School #2 in North Fairfield, Ohio received an addition completed in 1937 as a New Deal project, with funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $27,111 grant for the project, whose total cost was $72,219. PWA Docket No. OH 1342
  • Fairland School (former) - Marble Falls TX
    The Works Progress Administration built a two-room schoolhouse in the Fairland community near Marble Falls, Texas. The rock masonry building was completed by February 1940 under official project number 665-66-2-485. The building is currently a private residence.
  • Fairlead Academy I - Lexington Park MD
    Fairlead Academy I is part of the St. Mary’s County Public Schools system. It used to be called Great Mills School and was built by federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers in 1936. It originally served as an elementary school, and now serves as a school that helps young adults prepare for their post-high school lives. Another example of how the great work of the WPA continues to be utilized.
  • Fairview High School Gymnasium - Camden AR
    Completed in 1937, "the gymnasium building contained a gym floor and basketball court and courts for several other types of floor games, a modern swimming pool, with bleachers to seat 500 people on the semi-basement lever, shower rooms, dressing rooms, and restrooms and storage rooms on both floors. The first floor contained a large stage and the gym floor was used as an auditorium at times. It would seat 1,500 people. The building was modern in every detail. The Fairview School was the only school in Arkansas that had a swimming pool at that time."* **Docket 1034 cost $116,566 and involved...
  • Fairview School (former) - Meeker OK
    "The Fairview School (District 89) replaced the "Thompson School", built in 1894 which burned in 1936. This was a joint effort, with the School District supplying $1,013 and the WPA picking up the balance of $2,600. It was completed in March 1937 and operated as a one-room school until 1949-1950 when the district was annexed by the Prague and Agra school districts. This is a rectangular building constructed of native sandstone. It is currently a residence, and access to the property could not be gained. The gabled roof, once covered with asphalt, currently has a metal sheeting. The typical WPA set...
  • Farmer’s Elementary School (former) - Morehead KY
    From contributor Charles Swaney: "This single story elementary school with 2-story gymnasium was constructed with local bluestone as were 2 other schools constructed at the same time.  The date of construction is well seen above the entry.  Currently, the school houses an antique mall."
  • Farnsworth Middle School - Sheboygan WI
    "This building is approximately 256 by 388 feet. It contains administrative offices, library, auditorium seating 1,000, double gymnasium, and classrooms for art, music, biology, general science, mechanical drawing, printing, woodworking, and metal working, a study hall seating 200, 25 classrooms, and a cafeteria. The building has a volume of 1,900,000 cubic feet. The entire construction is fireproof. The project was completed in June 1938 at a construction cost of $583,312 and a project cost of $654,468, including about $33,000 for land."
  • Fence Lake School - Fence Lake NM
    On August 31, 1935, the county superintendent for Valencia County prepared a WPA project proposal for two, two-room schoolhouses in Fence Lake and Liberty. The schools were to be constructed of logs cut from nearby forests and were to be designed to adhere to the WPA “school house standards” of the day (WPA OP 65-85-466). Added on to the project was a two-room community building in Trechado, an ephemeral community that no longer exists. The supervisor estimated all three buildings would cost $3,737.50, with the WPA providing $2,911.50. During the Great Depression, Fence Lake, a once cattle-raising area, became overwhelmed with refugees fleeing the...
  • Fergus County High School (former), Athletics Improvements - Lewistown MT
    Montana's Big Timber Pioneer newspaper reported in 1937: "Work of constructing a running track and fencing the high school athletic field, being done by WPA labor, will be resumed late this month after a winter shutdown." The old Fergus County High School -- located at 401 7th Ave. S. in Lewistown -- now houses condominiums.
  • Ferguson Middle School - Ferguson MO
    "With 400 students that transferred from John M. Vogt HIgh School, Ferguson High School opened in 1939. It was built by the Ferguson Public School District on the (rumored to be haunted) January Estate; which had also been used as the city dump and was known as Blizzard Hill. Located at 701 January Avenue, the school was constructed with WPA, Works Progress Administration, financial assistance. In the basement of the school was a firing range for target practice by students belonging to the school's NRA Club. 1952 saw the merger of the Ferguson Public School District and the Florissant School...
  • Ferris School (former) - Ferris TX
    The Works Progress Administration built the Ferris School between 1938 and 1940 under official project number 65-1-66-287. The brick building had 33 rooms. The former school is currently the Ferris Independent School District Administrative Services building.
  • Fifty-Ninth Street Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Fifty-Ninth Street Elementary School, which opened in 1924, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Fifty-Second Street Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Fifty-Second Street Elementary School, which opened in 1926, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Figueroa Street Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Figueroa Street Elementary School, which opened in 1923, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Fishburn Avenue Elementary School - Maywood CA
    Fishburn Avenue Elementary School, which opened in 1926, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Five Points School - Albuquerque NM
    "A number of other APS buildings were built, remodeled, or had additions built as the result of this source of this source of funding. Likewise adjacent school playgrounds, ball fields, etc. were also created. The schools include Armijo, Coronado, Duranes, Five Points School, La Mesa, Lincoln, Los Candelarias, Pajarito, San Jose, Santa Barbara, and Stronghurst. For specific information on each of these refer to the Albuquerque Museum Monograph written by Charles Biebel." -Treasures on New Mexico Trails
  • Flesher School (former) - Flesher MT
    Big Timber Pioneer reported that the federal government allotted $1,144 for the construction of a new log schoolhouse in the former town of Flesher, Montana in Lewis and Clark County. Originally assigned to three WPA laborers, the project was completed by one worker named Jack. As a result, it was thought that the school in Flesher was "the only one-man WPA public building project in the United States." The exact location and current status of the building unknown to the Living New Deal.
  • Flomaton High School Athletic Field - Flomaton AL
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Flomaton High School Athletic Field in Flomaton. Sponsored by the Escambia County Board of Education, the field spans five acres. The approximate cost was $3,263.
  • Flomaton High School Grounds Landscaping - Flomaton AL
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) landscaped and beautified the grounds of the Flomaton High School. The project was sponsored by the Town of Flomaton.
  • Flomaton High School Vocational Training Building - Flomaton AL
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Vocational Training Building for the Flomaton High School. The building façade is red brick veneer. The total cost, including landscaping, was $8,312.00, and was sponsored by the Escambia County Board of Education.
  • Florence Nightingale Middle School - Los Angeles CA
    "This P.W. A.Moderne style school was constructed from 1937 to 1939 to plans drawn by architects John C. Austin and Frederick M. Ashley. The P.W.A. Moderne married the symmetry and classicism of earlier eras with elements culled from the fashionable Art Deco and Streamline Moderne idioms." - https://www.laschools.org/employee/design/fs-studies-and-reports/download/LAUSD_Presentation_March_2002.pdf?version_id=1895945
  • Florida Industrial School for Boys (abandoned): Negro Dining Hall - Marianna FL
    A pair of segregated dining halls at what was then known as the Florida Industrial School for Boys, a reformatory, was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $34,389 grant for the project, whose total cost was $84,517. The exact location and status of the buildings on the now-abandoned campus are presently unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. FL 1161-R
  • Florida Industrial School for Boys (abandoned): White Dining Hall - Marianna FL
    A pair of segregated dining halls at what was then known as the Florida Industrial School for Boys, a reformatory, was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $34,389 grant for the project, whose total cost was $84,517. The exact location and status of the buildings on the now-abandoned campus are presently unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. FL 1161-R
  • Florida School for the Deaf and Blind: Girls' Dormitory - St. Augustine FL
    A girls' dormitory building at what was then known as the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $34,190 grant for the project, whose total cost was $76,013. The building is located at the northwest end of campus. It is possible that additional construction was undertaken at the School with federal funds. PWA Docket No. FL 1134-R
  • Flower Hill Elementary School (former) Improvements - Port Washington NY
    Now part of the Carrie Palmer Weber Middle School complex, what was then known as the Flower Hill Elementary School in Port Washington, New York was improved by the federal Work Projects Administration during the 1930s.  One modest project undertaken in 1938 involved repairs to the building's walls, ceilings, and plastering. Other schools in Port Washington were similarly improved. WPA Official Project No. 665-21-2-219.
  • Fogarty School - Guthrie OK
    "Built as Fogarty Junior High in 1938-39 by the WPA, the school is currently Fogarty Elementary. This one and two-story building was constructed in 1938-39 as a WPA project. It faces west and is addressed as 902 N. Wentz. The building is constructed of multi-toned light colored brick, with portions of the ground level native stone. Above one of the entrances, metal lettering reads: FOGARTY JUNIOR HIGH. It is currently an elementary school... A bronze WPA shield is mounted on the wall by an entrance, above the cornerstone. The shield reads: USA / 1939 / WPA / Oklahoma..." The cornerstone is engraved with...
  • Fontana Middle School - Fontana CA
    The school first opened in 1927, and the WPA made grounds improvements during the 1930s.
  • Football Stadium and Gymnasium - Somerville TX
    From the city of Somerville website: "A native stone gymnasium and football stadium with seating and fence were built for the Somerville Independent School District by the WPA during the Depression and finished by 1939 ." Text from the state historical marker at the stadium reads: "Emerging from the Great depression, the Somerville School Board partnered with the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to build a football stadium. Known as 'The Rock,' the stadium was designed by Travis Broesche in the rustic style of architecture, using native stone and petrified wood. It was completed in 1940. A crew of around 100 local...
  • Ford Boulevard Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Ford Boulevard Elementary School, which opened in 1923, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Forest Hill School Complex - Jackson MS
    The Public Works Administration W1183 funded constructing for new buildings and improvements for five Hinds County schools in 1938-1939. Forest Hill School used funds to construct a vocational building, auditorium, gymnasium, and home for the vocational teacher. They used a $24,000 bond issue to supplement the PWA funding for a loan of 151,986 toward estimated cost of all 5 schools of $337,746, approved 6/22/1938. Bids were advertised October 1938; first contract awarded 11/10/38; construction began 11/14/1938; and was completed 12/4/1939 for a total of 322,153. The school was demolished in 1987.
  • Forest Hills Elementary School - Danville VA
    The historic Forest Hills Elementary School in Danville, Virginia was originally constructed as a high school. The project was undertaken with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. PWA Docket No. VA 7126
  • Forkland School (former) Addition and Gymnasium - Gravel Switch KY
    An addition with full gymnasium at the community school in Forkland, Boyle County, KY. Stone came from a newly-opened quarry in Mitchellsburg, a few miles away. Final cost, $44,000. When the school was closed about 1971, residents in the Forkland area purchased it, and made a community center there. It is now the home of the Forkland Lincoln Museum, and hosts several events every year.
1 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 60