1 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 60
  • East Elementary School - Jefferson City MO
    This school was constructed by the PWA at the same time as West Elementary school in Jefferson City. It includes some of the West school Modern Deco elements, but has a red brick façade with decorative brick and concrete elements.  It is currently being used by the Jefferson City, but is in the process of extensive remodeling that includes the initial construction information.    
  • East End School Additions - Meridian MS
    In 1936, the WPA added a rear auditorium and cafeteria to the East End Italianate/Craftsman school originally constructed in 1888.
  • East Hall (Isolation Building, former Florida Industrial School for Girls)- Ocala FL
    The facility now known as East Hall was originally constructed as the "Isolation Building" for Florida Industrial School for Girls, a reformatory. It was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal-aided project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) supplied a $27,727 grant for the project, whose total cost was $65,660. (It is possible that the grant enabled other construction on the grounds as well.) Wikipedia: "East Hall is an historic one-story red brick building located at 307 Southeast 26th Terrace in Ocala, Florida, United States. Designed by architect Frank Parzaile, it was built in 1936 by the Public Works Administration. On July...
  • East Hill School Repairs - St. Croix VI
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Civil Works Administration carried out “repairs and renewals” work at the East Hill School on St. Croix.
  • East Lampeter School (former) - Smoketown PA
    East Lampeter Township in Pennsylvania received a new school building in 1937 as part of a New Deal project; the facility was financed in part by the Public Works Administration. The PWA supplied a $50,768 grant for the project, whose total cost was $122,170. The location and status of the facility is presently unknown to Living New Deal. Interestingly, the township had intended to auction off the "little red schoolhouses," attended by local Amish children, which this facility replaced. However, the motion was blocked by a Federal judge on March 2, 1938, and the sect won the right to continue sending their children to 'simple'...
  • East Main Street School (former) Improvements - Amsterdam NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve the former East Main Street School in Amsterdam, New York during the 1930s. WPA work included the modest contributions of "painting walls, ceilings, windows, doors, and cornice" as well as varnishing. The building has since been repurposed as a church.
  • East Providence High School Addition - East Providence RI
    In 1934 the PWA built this third floor addition to the existing high school building, which was completed in 1908. The Colonial Revival building was later occupied by the junior high, which itself later moved out. It is currently elderly housing known as Taunton Plaza. The architects of the addition were William R. Walker & Son of Providence.
  • East School (demolished) Improvements - West Hartford CT
    In 1933 the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) furnished the labor for the installation of four light bulbs per classroom in what was then known as the East School. The next year the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) undertook repair work in the basement of the school; repaired concrete floors; and plastered walls. Furthermore F.E.R.A. labor re-painted the school's exterior, conducted roof repairs, repointed bricks, and continued the undertaking of lighting improvements. The school was closed and demolished. West Hartford Library explains that Whiting Lane Elementary School was constructed to replace the East School in 1954. However, it was not built on...
  • East Side Elementary School (demolished) - Nampa ID
    The PWA built this six-classroom elementary school in 1937 (docket #1093-RD). It remained in use until 1997, when it was demolished. The site is now East Side Park. Note: the Nampa School District history linked below indicates that the WPA built the school, while the record is found in the PWA archives with a docket listed.
  • Eastern High School for Girls (Former) - Baltimore MD
    The PWA constructed this building to house the Eastern High School for Girls in 1936-38. In 1979, it became a coeducational school. The school closed in 1986. The buildings were renovated in the 1990s and are now being used for offices by the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. The PWA's 1939 buildings survey described the new school as follows: "This high school…occupies a site of 24 acres in Venable Park, which is developed into an athletic field, a quarter-mile running track, fields for archery, handball, tennis, and badminton courts.   Of the 75 classrooms, 25 are equipped for special instruction. There are also a...
  • Eastern High School Recreation Center Improvements - Washington DC
    In 1942, the Washington Post reported the allocation of $12,925 to the Federal Works Agency (FWA) for new construction and/or improvements to Eastern High School's recreation center.  The report does not specify what work was to be done. The current status of the New Deal improvements is unkonwn. The baseball diamond part of the high school fields may well have its origin in the work of the early 1940s. The high school itself, constructed in 1923, was not a New Deal project.
  • Eastman Avenue Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Eastman Avenue Elementary School, which opened in 1923, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Eaton Grade School (former) - Eaton NY
    The historic former Eaton Grade School building in Eaton, New York was, Living New Deal believes, originally one of two similarly designed school buildings built in the Town of Eaton as part of a New Deal project. The PWA provided a $185,625 grant for a project that included the Morrisville Central School. Construction on both schools began in 1936. The school building is now privately owned and fenced off. PWA Docket No. NY 1118-A.
  • Ebenezer Avenue School (former) Improvements - Rock Hill SC
    The federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) contributed to the development of Rock Hill's original North Side School. "School buildings and classroom additions went up at Central School, Northside School, Arcade-Victoria School, and Ebenezer Avenue School, with A. D. Gilchrist the architect for all these PWA projects."
  • Eden Grammar School - Eden TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Eden Grammar School in Eden, Concho County. The one-story building is a combination of brick and rock. The WPA plaque bears the date 1938-1940. The cornerstone above mentions the date 1941. A high school building next to the elementary school, and a rock wall around the schools, are unmarked.
  • Edison Elementary School - Long Beach CA
    Edison Elementary School was reconstructed with New Deal funding following the devastating 1933 Long Beach Earthquake. Designed by Earle R. Bobbe in WPA/PWA Moderne style, Buildings A and B were completed in 1935. A relief panel, likely executed by a WPA artist, is located over the entrance to the school. “On August 29, 1933, Long Beach citizens approved a $4,930,000 bond measure for the rebuilding of schools. Applications for approximately thirty-five schools were filed with the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Public Works Administration (PWA); federal grants up to thirty percent of labor and material costs were obtained. To minimize costs,...
  • Edison School - Carlsbad NM
    The  Edison School is identified as a project that received New Deal assistance in the form of Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in an article in the Carlsbad Current-Argus.
  • Edison School Repairs - South Charleston WV
    The Works Progress Administration completed improvements and repairs for the Edison School in South Charleston. The work consisted of “Painting and repairing Edison school, installing new fire escape.”
  • Edith Teter Elementary School Addition - Fairplay CO
    "The building represents, both physically and intellectually, the growth and evolution of public education in the South Park area of Park County. The original Italianate style portion was constructed in 1881, and it has remained in use as a public educational facility ever since. The 1934 Moderne style gymnasium/classroom addition, partially funded by the Public Works Administration, was designed by prominent Denver architect Frank Frewen Jr. Subsequent additions were constructed in 1947 and 1985."
  • Edler School (former) - Comanche National Grassland CO
    The Edler School was constructed in either 1937 or 1938 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). It sat amidst former farmland that had been abandoned because of the Dust Bowl. The school is constructed from blocks of Dakota sandstone. It has since been converted into a private residence.
  • Edward R. Andrews Elementary School - Morrisville NY
    Originally the Morrisville Central School, what is now known as Edward R. Andrews Elementary School was constructed during the 1930s with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building was designed by Carl W. Clark of Cortland, NY; Kraft & Detor of Syracuse were the general contractors. The PWA provided a $185,625 grant for the project, whose total cost was $414,833. Construction occurred between 1936 and 1937. PWA Docket No. NY 1118-A.
  • Edward W. Bok Technical High School - Philadelphia PA
    Philadelphia's Edward W. Bok Technical High School was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds between 1936 and 1938.
  • Effingham Junior High School - Effingham IL
    Effingham, Illinois's historic junior high school building was originally constructed as the city's high school in 1939. Sometimes attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the building was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building bears a Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (PWA) plaque and a 1939 cornerstone. The building was designed by Royer, Danely, and Smith, and the general contractor was E. C. Childers Construction Co. PWA Project No. Ill. 1977
  • Eisenhower Middle School - Norristown PA
    Originally constructed as a high school, what is now Eisenhower Middle School in Norristown, PA was built as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $487,086 grant for the project, whose total cost was $1,114,009. Construction was completed in April 1938. "The building contains 65 rooms, including shops, laboratories, music rooms, an auditorium seating 2,011 people, a cafeteria for 600, a library for 120, and 2 gymnasiums which when thrown together make a room 88 by 112 feet. There is an outdoor theater and stage, with sloping, sodded seats of 3,300 capacity. The building is fireproof. The exterior...
  • El Dorado Springs School and Gymnasium - El Dorado Springs MO
    The El Dorado Springs "old" Gymnasium and a series of classrooms were completed in 1939 as a project of the Federal Works Agency of the Public Works Administration in 1939. The gym and attached classroom building is a red brick structure designed to harmonize with the old high school (destroyed by fire). The gym features a full stage complete with a second story property room and "crow's nest", as well as downstairs locker rooms. The lower walls of the gym and hallways are covered with pumpkin-colored oblong tiles, with plaster to the ceiling. Following several decades of few to no substantive...
  • El Portal Elementary School (abandoned) - El Portal CA
    Two separate WPA projects were initiated at this school that was built in 1930. Sponsor: El Portal Grammar School District WPA Proj. No. 65-3-3769, December 12, 1935, $2,567 "Painting inside walls, etc., on El Portal Grammar School." WPA Proj. No. 165-3-2074, December 11, 1936, $1,287, "Paint walls, window casings and make minor repairs to El Portal Grammar School, in El Portal, Mariposa County; also excavate and level school yard, repair road entrance and other work incidental thereto. In addition to projects specifically approved. El Portal Grammar School Dist. owned property." In 1963, a new school was constructed further down the road in a...
  • Elementary Building - Carriere MS
    The elementary building was part of 11projects undertaken in Pearl River County in 1937. The school building was projected to cost $14,000. Projects included bridges, buildings at Pearl River College and other local schools, and a new City Hall. Wilford S. Lockyer was the architect for the school project. The building is still in use as part of the Carriere school system.
  • Elementary School - Brookhaven MS
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotted $128,138 toward construction of a new elementary school. R. W. Naef was the architect for the two-story brick 1941 International style building. W. T. Beckelheimer was the superintendent of construction. An auditorium was added to the building in 1956. District Manager for WPA office announced the building would be ready for occupancy in fall of 1941. The building remains in use.
  • Elementary School - Crosbyton TX
    The Crosbyton Review reported in Dec. 1939 that, finished three years prior, Crosbyton's then-new grade school was "one of the most modern in this territory," and its construction was aided by PWA funding assistance. "The building contains class rooms, auditorium, study hall and offices," and still serves as Crosbyton's elementary school today.
  • Elementary School - Dryden NY
    Dryden Elementary School was originally constructed as the Dryden Central Grade & High School during the 1930s. The building was financed in part with federal Public Works Administration funds (Docket No. NY 1257 ). The building has since been expanded.
  • Elementary School - Farmersville CA
    Farmersville received $47,000 of New Deal funds for an elementary school for migrant workers, according to newspaper reports of the times.  It is unknown where this school was built or if it was at the site of one of the three current elementary schools.   
  • Elementary School - Freeville NY
    Freeville Elementary School in Freeville, New York, was the Central Grade School. Construction of the school was enabled by federal Public Works Administration funding (PWA Docket No. NY 1257), which gave a grant of $137,025 to the school district for the project. The project's total cost was $344,769. Construction began February 1936 and was completed June 1937.
  • Elementary School - Huntington WV
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an elementary school near Marshall College (today Marshall University) in Huntington, Cabell County. The exact location and condition of this facility are unknown to the Living New Deal.
  • Elementary School - Port Gibson MS
    The one-story Colonial Revival brick building was constructed by a $14,318 grant from Public Works Administration approved 9/26/1938. Construction began 12/19/1938 and was completed 7/29/1939 for a total cost of $31,585. Edgar Lucian Malvaney designed the building and it was constructed by Flint-Jordan Construction Company. It remains in use as a school. Replacement doors and windows have been installed, but the interior retains its floor plan.
  • Elementary School - Prospect CT
    Prospect Community Elementary School in Prospect, Connecticut was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the 1930s. The building is "a red brick Colonial Revival design" and has since been added to structurally. The PWA gave the community a grant of $19,675; the school project cost a total of $43,951. PWA completion documents declare that construction on the building began December 1935; the building was completed the following year. PWA Docket No. CT 1032.
  • Elementary School - Redwood MS
    Works Progress Administration (WPA) project No. 41,290 for construction of a school building at Redwood community was approved for $26,406. The Redwood History page reported the "final school" was constructed on a 10-acre plot. While it was being finished, it was hit by a tornado in 1941 and more than half of the classrooms were damaged. The opening of the school was delayed until 1942 when it could be completed. The building is still extant, though renovations and additions over the years have changed the appearance. It now serves elementary children.
  • Elementary School - Ripley MS
    Public Works Administration (PWA) project 1280 provided a grant of $16,411 for construction of a grammar school. Architect E. L. Malvaney designed the 1-story brick school. The Daily Clarion-Ledger reported both the high school and the elementary school were constructed with this grant. The project was approved 8/10/1938, construction started 11/21/1938, and the project was completed 10/28/1939 for a total of $35,074. WPA provided an additional $3,640 for the grammar school to add landscaping, playground equipment, and sidewalks in February 1940.
  • Elementary School - Sinclair WY
    Federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds enabled the construction of the elementary school in Sinclair, Wyoming during the 1930s. The school continues to function in that role today. PWA photos at the National Archives actually deem this project the Parco school, Parco being the old name for Sinclair. The original owner of this project was listed as being Sweetwater County School District #3, though Sinclair is actually in Carbon County. C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown write about the PWA school: "The new building replaced a leased 4-room dilapidated wooden structure and two apartments rented for classrooms in an apartment building. It provides...
  • Elementary School - Wyandotte OK
    The historic 1936 elementary school building in Wyandotte, Oklahoma is located at the southwest corner of the intersection of 1st and School streets. The original eight-room structure measured 60' x 120'. The building, still recognizable, has since been expanded, and is still in use.
  • Elementary School (demolished) - Morgan UT
    The PWA funded the construction of Morgan Elementary School in 1936. It was demolished in 1994 and a new elementary school was built.
1 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 60