1 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 94
  • Kendall Home for Children (demolished) - Miami FL
    The Kendall Home for Children was constructed by FERA in 1935. The home was later run by the Catholic Church and then by Dade County. Residents have since reported a history of child abuse at the site. By 2007, the buildings were demolished or in ruins.
  • Kenilworth Free Public Library - Kenilworth NJ
    Constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), this public library was completed and opened to the public in 1936. In 1981, the town of Kenilworth added an addition to the existing New Deal Structure. Located in the heart of downtown, the library continues to serve as an important community resource to the public of Kenilworth.
  • Kennard-Washington Hall - Hattiesburg MS
    The University of Southern Mississippi's library, now known as Kennard-Washington Hall and serving as administrative offices, was constructed as PWA project x1370. The Georgian Revival style building was approved in September 1938 and construction began 12/19/1938. A grant of $38,863 was received toward the total cost of $86,363. Construction was completed November 10, 1939. "The two-story brick building has a hipped roof with a balustraded widow's walk, and was originally cross-shaped, but the northeast quadrant was infilled with a one-story brick addition" (Gatlin, 2010, p. .18). The interior features a two-story rotunda with dome, supported by columns. The building is...
  • Kennydale School (former) - Kennydale WA
    A WPA press release from Jan. 1938 reported: "More than 125 men from the roliof rolls will begin erection of a concrete one-story scheol building at Kennydale, tomorrow, with the aid of $50,374 in WPA funds, it was announced yesterday by Don G. Abel, state Works Progress Administrator. Plans call for an up-to-date, modern, six room building. Special features include a cafeteria and playroom space in the basement, and a modern gymnasium, convertible to an auditorium. School District #147, as sponsor of the project, will contribute materials and supplies totaling $28,586.27. Six hundred residents of the Kennydale school district will benefit directly from...
  • Kent State University: McGilvrey Hall - Kent OH
    41.15059302281331, -81.35105749394626The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Science classroom building for Kent State University. "A federal grant, coupled with a $650,000 appropriation from the state, led to approval of plans for a new science building in 1938."
  • Kentucky School (former) - Cleveland OH
    Privatized in 2011 and now called Near West Intergenerational School. "On the near west side of Cleveland, we can still see some of the still bearing fruit of Mr. Roosevelt's New Deal. The Kentucky School (Paul Dunbar temporary) is still up. Its cornerstone reads, '1939'; a product of the Public Works Administration, one of the many new government agencies that saved the US from becoming a third world country... On the other corner of the Kentucky School alongside West 38th is an allegorical female figure with flowing hair, kneeling amongst plants, holding a tablet, with a river crossing her lap, and the...
  • Kenwood School - Kearney NE
    A Public Work Administration (PWA) grant was given to the Kearney School Board for the erection of Kenwood Elementary School, announced in late June, 1934. Architects McClure and Walker submitted plans and specifications to the PWA engineer’s office in Omaha for approval, for which the engineer was allotted thirty days, and then the request for bids had to be published for thirty additional days before a bidder could be hired. The School Board was looking at a September 1st date for selection of bidders if all went according to plan. Still, the architects were convinced that the Kenwood School could...
  • Kerman High School Gymnasium - Kerman CA
    The WPA built a $66,000 gym for Kerman Union High School. The gym served the students of Kerman High School. However, it was not located at the high school. It was located outside the town on N. Madera Avenue. It appears to have been abandoned, but is now being rebuilt.
  • Kilgore College Administration Building - Kilgore TX
    Text From the state historical marker reads: In response to the East Texas oil field boom, yet in the midst of the Great Depression, Kilgore residents voted to support the establishment of a junior college in 1935. Classes were held in the high school until this building was completed in 1936 with financial aid from the Public Works Administration. Designed by the San Antonio firm of Phelps & Dewees, the Kilgore College administration building remains a good example of art moderne architecture. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990
  • Kim School Buildings - Kim CO
    This collection of buildings includes an elementary school, a gymnasium and a high school. The three buildings are located on a row along State St. and still serve as the primary educational facilities for the community. "Three stone buildings, a gymnasium flanked by an elementary and a high school, represent the work of several New Deal relief programs. Constructed over an eight-year period, the buildings provided employment in Kim during much of the Great Depression. Construction on the gymnasium began in December 1933 as a Civil Works Administration project. It was completed in the spring of 1935 after being transferred to...
  • Kim Schools (Abandoned) - Kim CO
    An elementary school and high school, plus a gymnasium, were constructed by the New Deal for the rural settlement of Kim, Colorado.  The work was undertaken by three different New Deal agencies over a period of 8 years, 1933 to 1941.  History Colorado provides more details: "Three stone buildings, a gymnasium flanked by an elementary and a high school, represent the work of several New Deal relief programs administered in eastern Colorado.  Constructed over an eight-year period, the buildings provided employment in Kim during much of the Great Depression.   Construction on the gymnasium began in December 1933 as a Civil Works...
  • Kimball Elementary School - National City CA
    The Works Progress Administration built the Kimball Elementary School in National City CA in 1941. It is still used as an elementary school.  
  • Kincaid High School (now Kincaid Community Center) - Kincaid KS
    The Kincaid High School (now Kincaid Community Center) in Kincaid KS was built as a high school with Works Progress Administration bonds. Now used as city hall, public library, museum, and gathering space.
  • King City High School Auditorium - King City CA
    "In 1937 construction was begun on the high school auditorium. It was to cost $179,000. Designed in a classic Greek rotunda rather than a traditional shape by famed architect Robert Stanton, it was completed in March of 1939." The auditorium, also known as the Robert Stanton Theater, is on the National Register of Historical Places, and was awarded with a 2005 Art Deco Preservation Award from the Art Deco Society of California.
  • King Hall (Eastern Michigan University) - Ypsilanti MI
    King Hall on the campus of Eastern Michigan University was constructed in 1939 during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $156,240 grant. (PWA Docket No. NY 1552)
  • Kings County Hospital Improvements - Brooklyn NY
    While the Kings County Hospital was founded in the 1830s, WPA photos in the National Archives and Records Administration, as well as other sources, show that the PWA built several structures for the Kings County Hospital, including a loading dock, a nurses' home, and other buildings. The current status of the specific PWA buildings is unknown to the Living New Deal.
  • Kings Park State Hospital Building 93 - Kings Park NY
    The massive Building 93 on the Kings Park State Hospital campus "was constructed as a WPA project in the late 1930s. The 12-story infirmary housed patients according to their mobility: the ambulatory were placed on the ground floors, semi-invalids on intermediate floors, and the bedridden on the top floors."   (Harris et al.) "As patient populations grew throughout the early part of the 20th century, the hospital itself continued to grow, and by the late 1930s the state began to build upward instead of outward. During this period, the famous 13-story Building 93 was constructed. Designed by state architect William E. Haugaard...
  • Kings Park State Hospital Improvements - Kings Park NY
    The Suffolk County News reported that the WPA engaged in "repairs and painting (interior and exterior) of Central Islip and Kings Park State Hospitals" between 1935 and 1936.
  • Kingsboro Psychiatric Hospital Improvements - Brooklyn NY
    The WPA made numerous improvements to the Kingsboro Psychiatric Hospital (then known as Brooklyn State Hospital) in New York City during the 1930s. Work included the construction of, and remodeling and renovation of, buildings around the campus; landscape modifications, including tree and shrub planting; the installation of fences; improvements to drainage and sewer lines; modernization of other utilities at the hospital; and other more modest improvements. The WPA made numerous improvements to the Kingsboro Psychiatric Hospital (then known as Brooklyn State Hospital) in New York City during the 1930s. Work included the construction of, remodeling and renovation of, and the fu
  • Kingston School (Improvements) - Laurel MS
    A Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotment for $22,000 was approved for two school projects in Laurel in 1940. The Kingston School for African American students shared funds with Laurel High School and Wisner George S. Gardiner High School to improve buildings, grounds and facilities. Kingston School included work on porches, fire escape, and grounds. The school is no longer extant.
  • Kinishba Ruins National Historic Landmark - Fort Apache AZ
    "Kinishba Ruins was constructed by the Pueblo people and occupied as early as 800 until as late as 1400 A.D. Byron Cummings, director of the Arizona State Museum, and his students began excavation and reconstruction of Kinishba in 1931. In 1934 Cummings requested funds from the Civilian Conservation Corps-Indian Division to hire 25 local Apache laborers. Between 1934 and 1937 Kinishba also served as an archaeological field school where Cummings trained more than 70 students. In 1938 and 1939 Cummings and Apache enrollees continued to excavate and restore the ruins; they also constructed a small museum and residence. Cummings hoped...
  • Kinston High School - Kinston AL
    Kinston High School, located in Kinston, Alabama (Southwest Coffee County) was built by the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1939.
  • Kirksville School of Osteopathy Clinic Building - Kirksville MO
    The clinic building is on the south side of the main downtown district of Kirksville, just east of the Northeast Regional Medical Center. This building was initially used for patient clinics by the osteopathic school, but now houses offices primarily.
  • Knights Landing Projects - Knights Landing CA
    WPA projects in Knights Landing included sidewalks, curbs, gutters, a Boy Scout cabin, and, in 1936, a two-room addition to the school.
  • Knox County Tuberculosis Hospital (demolished) - Vincennes IN
    The former Knox County Tuberculosis Hospital, in the Art Deco style, was constructed between 1936 and 1937, using funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA). It has since been demolished.
  • Knox County Tuberculosis Hospital: Director's House - Vincennes IN
    One of the few Art Deco style dwellings in the county, it was constructed with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds between 1938 and 1939, of a limestone foundation and walls. It features banded corner windows, offset entry flanking louvered windows rear entry and attached one car garage with walkout porch atop. Incredible limestone curved/carved fireplace surround and mantel.
  • Kona Hospital - Kailua-Kona HI
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded new construction or improvement work for a hospital in Kona, on the Big Island. The PWA grant amounted to $47,700, and the work was carried out in 1938. The project, listed as Docket No. TH-1069-F, was part of the PWA’s non-federal projects expenditure for the Territory of Hawaii for 1938-1939.
  • Kooken School - Arlington TX
    "Originally known as "North Side School," the present brick building was a 1935-1937 WPA project. The school was named after John A. Kooken, a long-time superintendent of the Arlington School District. J. L. Hill was the first principal."   (https://www.arlingtontx.gov)
  • Kosse High School (demolished) - Kosse TX
    While the town of Kosse, TX no longer maintains a school (which was consolidated with Groesbeck's Independent School District in 1968), the town did receive a new school building with funding by the PWA. "Numerous jobs, ranging from skilled to unskilled laborers, will be opened with the Kosse high school project gets underway in December . The building of the high school as a PWA project for $42,000 will give all WPA registrees preference." (The Mexia Weekly Herald)
  • Kula Sanatorium - Kula HI
    Kula Sanitorium was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The P.W.A. supplied a $227,510 grant for the project, whose total cost was $507,557. "The Kula Sanatorium, also known as Kula Hospital & Clinic, is a five-story structure situated on the lower slopes of Haleakala within the small community of Keokea. The Moderne style hospital was built in 1937 as a sanatorium intended for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. The Kula Sanatorium is historically significant for its place in the history of healthcare in Hawaii, particularly the treatment of tuberculosis. The building is architecturally significant...
  • Kutztown University of Pennsylvania - Kutztown PA
    Then known as the Kutztown State Teachers College, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania benefited during the Great Depression from large construction projects enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). In one instance the PWA provided a $188,216 grant for the project, whose final cost was $605,070. Construction occurred between January 1938 and September 1939. (PWA Docket No. 1866.) Nine buildings were constructed on the campus, including an auditorium and shop/garage. The present status of these structures is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Kyle Elementary School Improvements - Kyle TX
    A historical marker at the school reads: "Citizens moved the Independence Hall schoolhouse to this site in 1890, marking the beginning of the Kyle Public Free School. The school grew steadily with the town, adding facilities to the campus, and by the 1930s the school board applied to the federal government for construction funds for a combination auditorium/gymnasium and a home economics cottage. Through the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a New Deal agency active during the Great Depression, the U.S. government paid for about three-fourths of the cost, while Kyle voters approved a bond issue in February 1935 to fund...
  • L. C. Hatcher Elementary School - Lucedale MS
    The one-story Art Deco school building currently used as the elementary school was constructed as Public Works Administration project 4789 as the new high school in Lucedale. The project was approved 3/7/1934 for a loan of $30,500 and grant of $10,295. Construction began 6/26/1934 and was completed 2/8/1935 for a total of $40,902.
  • La Cienega School - Questa NM
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Questa High School, Questa Elementary School, Community Building. Construction began on La Cienega School in 1934 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. The school was built on donated land and with donated building materials and opened its doors in 1936. La Cienega School graduated its first senior class in 1950. The school closed in 1999, having educated several generations of students from many communities throughout northern Taos County. This school is Questa was one of the largest in the county at the time with seven rooms.
  • La Mesa Elementary School - Albuquerque NM
    "A number of other APS buildings were built, remodeled, or had additions built as the result of this source of this source of funding. Likewise adjacent school playgrounds, ball fields, etc. were also created. The schools include Armijo, Coronado, Duranes, Five Points School, La Mesa, Lincoln, Los Candelarias, Pajarito, San Jose, Santa Barbara, and Stronghurst. For specific information on each of these refer to the Albuquerque Museum Monograph written by Charles Biebel." -Treasures on New Mexico Trails
  • La Puente High School - La Puente CA
    The WPA demolished and reconstructed a building at a high school in La Puente. Exact location and current status of the school are unknown. There are currently three high schools in La Puente.
  • La Verne Heights School - La Verne CA
    The WPA first demolished the original school, which had been condemned as a fire hazard. New buildings included a seven classroom frame and stucco building, with and auditorium and library, ground improvements, and the conversion of an older building into a cafeteria.
  • Laclede School - Laclede MO
    This PWA project was an addition to the rear of the existing 2-story Laclede school. The building is no longer in use as a school.
1 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 94