1 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 95
  • Helena Middle School - Helena MT
    The PWA allotted funds toward the construction of the $510,000 Helena high school, which was built between 1934 and 1935. A 1939 survey of PWA works described the school's construction: "The high school was rehabilitated and designed to resist earthquakes. The brick walls were removed, and reinforced concrete substituted with special column and beam reinforcing. The building was divided into individual units separated by 4-inch spaces. The projects were completed in January 1938 at an estimated construction cost of $146,476 and a project cost of $157,504."   (Short and Brown) The building didn't last long in its original form... Helenahistory.org reports that: "Dedicated on...
  • Heliotrope Avenue Elementary School - Maywood CA
    Heliotrope Avenue Elementary School, which opened in 1926, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with...
  • Helper Junior High School - Helper UT
    The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Helper Junior High School in Helper, Carbon School District. Docket # 1010-R (Utah).
  • Henderson County Library (Old Post Office) - Athens TX
    The Henderson County Library in Athens, Texas, also known as the Clint W. Murchison Memorial Library, was constructed in 1935 as the Athens post office. The building has served as a library since 1973.
  • Henderson Gymnasium - Shippensburg PA
    Shippensburg University's Henderson Gymnasium—originally known as Alumni Gymnasium and later Jessie S. Heiges Gymnasium—was constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project in 1938.
  • Hennessy Elementary School - Grass Valley CA
    "Hennessy School was named for the district superintendent who retired in 1938 and was built in the depths of the Great Depression, funded as a WPA project." from The Grass Valley School District history of the GVSD website https://www.gvsd.k12.ca.us/pages/our_district/gvsd_history.html May have been designed by Harry J. Devine, who "prepared preliminary plans for five classrooms and a gymnasium for the Grass Valley Union High School District" from With the Architects, July 1938
  • Henry E. Harris School Improvements - Bayonne NJ
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work on all school buildings in the city of Bayonne ca. 1939. Work on the Henry E. Harris Elementary School building included "painting, repairing, and general improvement work."
  • Henry Perrine Baldwin High School - Wailuku HI
    Henry Perrine Baldwin High School was built 1938-40 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA).   The school received an initial PWA grant of about $300,000 and a supplemental grant of $25,000 to finish the job. “The main buildings of Henry Perrine Baldwin High School were built in Kahului between 1938 and 1940… "The school buildings were designed by Henry Stewart, the Department of Public Works architect (with assistance from architect Noboru Kobayashi), and are distinguished by their stucco walls, red tile roofs, and decorative details of both Asian and Moderne derivation…”  (NTHP Registration form)    
  • Henry T. Gage Middle School - Huntington Park CA
    Henry T. Gage Middle School (formerly Junior High), which opened in 1932, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of...
  • Henry Whitfield State Museum Restoration - Guilford CT
    The Federal Writers' Project wrote: "Whitfield House, on Whitfield St., is one of the earliest stone houses in America and probably the oldest house in Connecticut. ... In 1936, under a Works Progress Administration project, which was directed by J. Frederick Kelly, an authority on early Connecticut architecture, the house was restored as nearly as possible to its original appearance, even to the odd window which old prints show across the southwest corner. Now maintained by the State as a museum, the building houses a varied collection of antiques and curios."
  • Herbert Hoover High School Improvements - Glendale CA
    The WPA constructed a retaining wall around Herbert Hoover High School, and repaired the auditorium. Both the retaining wall and the auditorium still stand. The auditorium is the only remaining building from the original school construction. Figures below are for the cost of the retaining wall only.
  • Herbert Hoover Middle School Mural - San Jose CA
    After a design by Edgar Taylor, craftspeople Mary Henry, Norval Gill, and Robert Spray completed this mural, entitled "Medieval Scene," in 1938 with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration's Federal Art Project. It is in the main stairwell of the Historic Hoover building in Herbert Hoover Middle School.
  • Herbert J. Thomas Memorial Hospital - South Charleston WV
    The Federal Works Agency built the Herbert J. Thomas Memorial Hospital in South Charleston. Like most functioning hospitals, Thomas Memorial Hospital has grown since its original construction, eliminating much of the original design and materials. The footprint of the building can be seen in a 1958 topographic map as an H shape, later morphing and expanding to cover much of the property, including altering some side streets. The main entrance ramp is in a new part of the building. A historical plaque notes the role of the New Deal in the creation of the hospital. The hospital is named after Herbert Joseph...
  • Hermosa Beach Community Center/Pier Avenue Junior High - Hermosa Beach CA
    "The Hermosa Beach Community Center at Pier Avenue and Pacific Coast Highway (below) was rebuilt by the WPA after the original building was destroyed in the 1933 earthquake. It was the home of Pier Avenue Junior High before the school closed in 1975. In 1976, it was used to film the dance scene in "Carrie." The city has since remodeled it into a theater space and community center." The WPA completed the school building for $5,449 in federal funds and $6,757 total. The WPA was also involved in landscaping and improving the school grounds, spending $6,989 in federal funds and a total...
  • Herried House - Palmer AK
    The Herried House, also known as Grow House, was built by the Resettlement Administration or its successor the Farm Security Administration as part of a colony farm -- not by the Works Progress Administration, as stated on Wikipedia. The structure "is an example of a farm house associated with the Alaska Rural Rehabilitation Corporation project in the Matanuska Valley. The house is a one-and-one-half story log structure and has a rectangular floor plan. It measures 25'x 32'without the garage. The entry vestibule on the north side has a parallel orientation with the gable roof ridge. A concrete block chimney, a change...
  • Hickory High School (former) Addition - Hickory Township PA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) sponsored the following: "Projects approved for Mercer County include alterations and addition to Hickory High school ..." The location and status of this facility is presently unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. PA 1953.
  • High School - Baldwyn MS
    A WPA allotment of $81,320 was approved for construction of a new high school in Baldwyn, including the installation of a septic tank and sewer lines. The project took 12 months and employed an average of 61 workers. It was completed in fall 1941. The Baldwyn community was hit by a tornado March 17, 1942 and destroyed the new school. WPA in Washington appropriate $10,000 to Mississippi for the relief work in the 12 communities that were impacted by the tornado.
  • High School - Bayonne NJ
    Bayonne High School was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the Great Depression. The massive undertaking cost $1.67 million; the PWA provided a $1.18 million loan and $494,000 grant to Bayonne. Construction occurred between March 1935 and June 1937. The building, which is connected to the adjacent (and older) Junior High School, is still in use today. PWA Docket No. 7957.
  • High School - Berlin PA
    The high school in Berlin, PA was built in 1936-7 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $99,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $222,713. The facility has been dramatically expanded. PWA Docket No. PA 1099
  • High School - Brookhaven MS
    After a fire destroyed the Brookhaven High School in March 1937, the city began making plans for a replacement. In October, the city voted in favor of a $50,000 bond to help finance the new building, combined with insurance of $60,000 and a Works Progress Administration grant of $90,067. R. W. Naef was the architect. The new building had over 30 classrooms, and a total cost of approximately $250,000 and could serve 1500 students. The first class graduated May 1939 after completion of the new school in April.
  • High School - Brooksville MS
    The approval for construction of a concrete school building in Brooksville was announced May 1940. The 1941 design was a one-story Art Moderne with glass blocks and curved entrance. The school was only 2/3 completed in 1942 when Works Progress Administration (WPA) funding was ended. According to Thomas Gentry (Hays Town Architectural Exhibit, 2018) the process of "pour-in-place" concrete construction may have contributed to the delay. Gentry references Mississippi Senator Bilbo's Brooksville School file which contained letters and telegrams related to the project.WPA Supplemental Project No. 41076-Si was filed with an additional $12,000 required from the district. A total of...
  • High School - Bruce MS
    Work Projects Administration approved funding for construction of a new school building in Bruce. The poured-in-place concrete building was designed by E. L. Malvaney in his monolithic concrete trademark, International design, and two stories. The school district pledged $22,072 toward the project that employed approximately 75 men for almost a year. The combined gymnasium and auditorium and classrooms for the Bruce High School cost $60,518 with work scheduled for November 2 construction. A destroyed the front entrance and a portion of the auditorium in the 1970s and that section of the building was rebuilt with brick, in contrast to the...
  • High School - Cranfills Gap TX
    The Works Progress Administration built a High School in Cranfills Gap in 1939. The school had five rooms and a combination gym-auditorium. The structure had a concrete foundation, cut stone masonry walls, wood floors, metal roof, and ground improvements.
  • High School - Dobbs Ferry NY
    The historic high school in Dobbs Ferry, New York was constructed using federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the 1930s. The PWA contributed a $607,400 loan and $193,049 grant to the project, whose total cost was $832,335. Construction occurred between May 1934 and June 1936. The building, designed by architects Knappe & Morris, is still in use today. PWA Docket No. NY 3301.
  • High School - Ellsworth PA
    A high school building, likely Bentworth Senior High School, was constructed in Ellsworth as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $57,177 grant for the project, whose total cost was $145,358. PWA Docket No. PA 1620.
  • High School - Ferndale PA
    Part of the facility now known as Ferndale Area High School was constructed as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $112,584 grant for the project, whose total cost was $243,286. The building bears a plaque detailing its provenance. PWA Docket No. PA 1645.
  • High School - Hamden CT
    Located just off the Wilbur Cross Parkway, Hamden High School was constructed as a New Deal project with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. supplied a $212,300 grant for the project, whose total cost was $823,508. Construction occurred between Oct. 1934 and Oct. 1935. P.W.A. Docket No. CT 1048
  • High School - Haskell TX
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the High School in Haskell, Texas. A story published in the Abilene Reporter-News in 1936 provides details about the project: "Prepare to Build Haskell’s School HASKELL, Sept. 19. - Razing of ruins of the old Haskell high school building, burned March 20, will begin early next week and construction on the new $47,000 building replacing it will be started as soon as possible, Superintendent 0. B. were announced Saturday. The new structure, a one-story brick building, is being constructed through a loan and grant from the PWA. The building will contain eleven classrooms, a library,...
  • High School - Hazlehurst MS
    The former Hazlehurst grammar school was PWA project W1077. The project was approved 9/25/1935 and completed 11/10/1936 for a total cost of $50,004. PWA supplied a $27,500 loan and a $22,457 grant. The school was enlarged in 1947, and currently serves as the high school. Work on clearing the lot began January 1936. Contractor was J. R. Flint and architect was E. L. Malvaney.
  • High School - Jamestown NY
    Federal Public Works Administration Docket No. NY 2754 entailed the construction of two school buildings in Jamestown, New York: the new Jamestown High School and the Industrial Arts Building nearby. "In 1935 a new Jamestown High School opened for classes. Financed in part by the Public Works Administration, it is an Art Deco school that occupies the site of the Jamestown Union School and Collegiate Institute on East Second Street. Plans for a new high school had been considered as early as 1920 but problems with cost and siting kept the project from proceeding. The architectural firm of Beck and Tinkham...
  • High School - Knoxville IL
    The original structure of Knoxville High School was originally constructed in 1935 as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project.
  • High School - Loyal WI
    A high school building in Loyal, Wisconsin was constructed with Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The exact location and status of the building is presently unknown to Living New Deal. wiclarkcountyhistory.org: "Formal dedication of the new high school building at Loyal will be made in exercises in the school auditorium at 8 p.m. Friday. The dedicatory address will be given by John Callahan, State superintendent of public instruction and a full program in which many persons prominent in the affairs of the school, past and present will be introduced. Construction on the new building was started December 5, 1937, and completed, for all...
  • High School - Pen Argyl PA
    Pen Argyl Area High School was constructed in 1936-7 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $54,798 grant for the project, whose total cost was $190,863. The original building can be found at the northwest corner of W Laurel Ave. and N Heller Ave.; the facility has since been expanded to the west. The original building bears a 1936 cornerstone. Its grounds feature a stone retaining wall along West Laurel Ave. and the grounds feature stone-sided staircases. These were possibly constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), though Living New Deal does not have evidence for this at this...
  • High School - Rochester TX
    "President Roosevelt has given approval of Public Works Administration projects that may mean spending of $225,630 federal funds for school buildings in three West Texas towns, congressmen Informed constituents Tuesday. Projects at Big Spring, Roscoe and Rochester were approved. Plans were being made to begin construction of buildings in the latter towns, but Big Spring school authorities were uncertain as to whether the PWA grant could be accepted. Immediate action was promised In Rochester. S. H. Vaughter, School Superintendent, stated that approximately $28,000 obtained from bonds, was on deposit in a bank, and that use would be made of $29,880 granted...
  • High School - Ruleville MS
    Ruleville's 1936 high school was completed as W1006 of the PWA program, with a $33,000 loan and $26,999 grant. The 2-story brick and tile school was approved September 25, 1935, and construction began in December. Architect E. L. Malvaney designed the 160x53 foot building with an 80x60 foot auditorium. It contained 18 classrooms. O. B. Douglass Construction Company received the bid for construction, Paine Heating and Tile plumbing and heating, and Stuart C. Irby Company did the electric wiring. The school was completed in August 1936. A grandstand with seating capacity of 300 and fence around the athletic grounds was finished...
  • High School - Rumson NJ
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $150,000 loan and $59,000 grant for construction of what is now Rumson-Fair Haven High School in Rumson, New Jersey. Total cost of the project was $232,925. PWA Docket No. NJ 7427
  • High School - Siloam Springs AR
    A Work Progress Administration marker is encased in a brick monument on the grounds of Southside Elementary School, on the West Tulsa Street (north) side of the school property. According to the Shiloh Museum of Ozark History, the WPA constructed a high school here in 1940. It remained on this property until 1994, when it was demolished to make way for the construction of the current elementary school. The bricks of the monument are actual bricks from the old WPA school, and the concrete WPA stone is the original cornerstone from the building.
  • High School - Skykomish WA
    Skykomish High School was constructed in 1936 as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $56,250 grant for the project, whose total cost was $127,331. PWA Docket No. WA 1146
  • High School - Union City OK
    The Union City High School building was constructed in 1937 under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works program, later named the Public Works Administration (PWA).
1 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 95