The old Park City High School in Park City, Utah, built in 1928 in Art Deco style, was given an Mechanical Arts building during the Great Depression as a New Deal project with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. Original… read more
"The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics constructed this 8-foot high-speed wind tunnel for test purposes. It is the largest structure of this kind in the world and is built of reinforced concrete throughout except that the air passages are lined… read more
“The Jordan School District Administration Building was built in 1935 as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. It was part of a $75,000 PWA project that also included rebuilding the fire-razed Highland Boy Elementary School at Bingham which included an… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a central clinic building in the Highland Hospital in Oakland in 1935 or 1936. The exact location and design of that building are unknown. There is no evidence that the WPA clinic building is… read more
The auditorium annex to the Highland School, originally constructed in 1907, was completed by the WPA in 1936. It was destroyed in 1986.
The Hillsborough High School was built in 1927 but soon thereafter the Great Depression caused a halt to construction of the gymnasium and the track. These were eventually built in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration under the supervision of… read more
The WPA built this building as the Lander Gym, then part of the Hilmar Union High School. It now serves as the Hilmar Unified School District office. “During the construction of the high school gym, students could skip school to… read more
In 2013 the Department of Housing and Urban Development wrote: “Built in 1937 as a Works Progress Administration project, the Wilkesboro, North Carolina Elementary School, known as the Historic Wilkesboro School, was recently transformed into an affordable housing community for… read more
Traversehistory.org: “In 1934, Traverse City Park’s commissioner, Con Foster, had an idea. He envisioned a park along the lakeshore at the south tip of the West Grand Traverse Bay. The park would have a zoo, a beach house and a historical… read more
A 1985 Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory of WPA buildings describes a 1938 school in Hitchita, Oklahoma. The survey describes the school in detail: “This school of twelve rooms is a single-story, rectangular (145′ x 58′) structure constructed of uncut native stone… read more
“Constructed primarily in 1936, the historic core of Hollenbeck Middle School was designed by eminent Los Angeles architect Alfred P. Rosenheim. Although primarily known for his traditionally styled commissions such as the Second Church of Christ Scientist on Adams Boulevard… read more
Hollidaysburg Area Junior High School, originally a high school, was built in 1936-7 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $117,818 grant for the school construction project in Bradford, whose total cost was $262,499. The since-expanded… read more
Built by the National Youth Administration, all that remains of the structures are rock wall shells. The Home Economics Cottage has a plaque, the vocational shop does not.
Locally known as the Home Economics/F.F.A. Building, this “combination NYA youth community center/classroom” was constructed in 1937-1938. It has been described as “the best local example of a building executed in the indigenous stone Rustic style which was popular with… read more
“This building is listed on the Oklahoma Landmark Inventory database as the Industrial Building for Home Economics District #1. It was a WPA construction from 1935 with an appropriation of $5,984. The building is constructed of native sandstone. It is… read more
Originally known as the Blue Plains Home for the Aged and Infirm, this facility was improved by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in the early 1940s. In 1940, the Washington Post reported plans for the WPA to conduct improvements to… read more
The [then-]North Texas State College’s Home Management House was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. provided $11,250 for the construction of the building, which was located at the northeast corner of what are now S. Welch… read more
Homer G. Phillips Hospital was built from 1932-1936 and dedicated in 1937. It was a segregated black hospital in a highly segregated city at the time. The initial funding for the hospital was a bond issue in 1922 for $1,000,000… read more
Construction of Hope High School, undertaken with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funding, comprised one of the largest New Deal undertakings in Rhode Island. “The Hope Street High School is one of the largest high schools in America, accommodating 2,200… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of doctors’ apartments at the Hopemont Sanitarium in Hopemont. The facility treated tuberculosis patients. Project W. Va.-1079-R. The facility is still extant and is adjacent to the Hopemont State Hospital.
“Located in a mall White County community near Bald Knob, the Hopewell School building has specific features that identify it as one of several federally funded institutional structures in the county dating from the late 1930’s. … The former school’s… read more