1 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 94
  • George Washington High School Auditorium and Athletic Field - San Francisco CA
    Auditorium: 1,850 seats including balcony. Concrete, terra cotta trim. Choral room, band practice room, instrument storage. Athletic field: football field, track, ROTC drill area (boys); basketball, tennis courts, volleyball (girls).
  • George Washington Middle School - Alexandria VA
    George Washington Middle School in Alexandria, VA was completed in 1936. It was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) with a grant of $300,000 made in 1933.   It was originally the George Washington High School, which replaced two prior high schools in the city, Alexandria HS and George Mason HS. The building is a good example of brick Moderne architecture, with low-relief column between the windows and a monumental entrance flanked by columns with eagle heads at the top. The school was converted to a middle school in 1971 as part of a reorganization of the Alexandria City Public Schools System. A...
  • George Washington Preparatory High School - Los Angeles CA
    George Washington Preparatory High School, which opened in 1927, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees...
  • George Washington School (Former) Repairs - St. Thomas VI
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Civil Works Administration carried out “repairs and renewals” work at the George Washington School (renamed Evelyn Marcelli Elementary School, closed in 2012) on St. Thomas.
  • Georgia College & State University - Milledgeville GA
    The Georgia College & State University campus in Milledgeville, Georgia was heavily impacted by New Deal program construction. Multiple buildings were constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds, including Beeson, Sanford, and Porter Halls.
  • Georgia State University: Alumni Hall Improvements - Atlanta GA
    This structure was originally built as the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium in 1907-09. It was thoroughly renovated with WPA assistance in 1938 and given a new facade in 1943. The building was sold to Georgia State University in 1979, and now serves as the school's Alumni Hall, also known as Dahlberg Hall.
  • Georgia Tech - Atlanta GA
    Numerous building construction projects on the Georgia Tech campus were enabled by various federal New Deal agencies during the Great Depression. The Civil Works Administration (CWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and Public Works Administration (PWA) all contributed support to various projects, some of which are no longer extant.
  • Georgia Tech: Brittain Dining Hall Addition - Atlanta GA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed an addition to Georgia Tech's Brittain Dining Hall.
  • Georgia Tech: Ceramics Building Addition - Atlanta GA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed an addition to the Ceramics Building on the Georgia Tech campus. The addition "comprises the largest portion of the building. The new work doubled the floor space of the department and increased the number of rooms by ten." The exact location of the facility on the Georgia Tech campus, and the building's present status, is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Georgia Tech: Daniel Laboratory Addition - Atlanta GA
    "Tech's development continued in the Fall of 1938 with the announcement that the Board of Regents, with Public Works Administration assistance, would spend $350,000 for the construction of four buildings and an addition to a fifth. ... The third building in this program is the Daniels Chemical Addition. Designed by Professor Galley and M. L. Jorgensen, the Addition Building faces on Third Street, and although announced in 1938, work on the building did not start until the summer of 1941. Completed in the Fall of 1942, the final cost of the building was $95,000 and contained the organic and physical...
  • Georgia Tech: Drawing Building - Atlanta GA
    Georgia Tech's Engineering / Mechanical Drawing Building was constructed during the Great Depression. Located on Cherry Street, the building was located north of the Guggenheim School of Aeronautics by Mechanical Engineering Building. Its current status is unknown to Living New Deal. "The Federal Government continued its support of Tech by assisting the Board of Regents in 1937 with the construction of the Civil Engineering Building and the Mechanical Engineering Drawing Building. This $275,000 project allowed three departments to move out of the Mechanical Engineering Building and the Electrical Engineering Building. It also increased Tech's research capability through a Hydraulics and Highway...
  • Georgia Tech: Harrison Residence Hall - Atlanta GA
    "Tech's development continued in the Fall of 1938 with the announcement that the Board of Regents, with Public Works Administration assistance, would spend $350,000 for the construction of four buildings and an addition to a fifth. Work began on the Howell and Harrison Dormitories by December of 1938."
  • Georgia Tech: Heisman Gym (demolished) - Atlanta GA
    Later known as Heisman Gym, Georgia Tech's old Auditorium / Gymnasium Building was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds.  The building "was projected to be built in two phases with the first costing $93,000 and the second $116,000. It was the "first completely reinforced concrete structure on campus, began in June of 1935," The Auditorium was completed in January 1936. "The building's second phase of construction was completed and dedicated on September 30, 1938, with a swimming pool section, financed by Georgia Tech, and completed in June of 1939." The WPA contributed to the latter stage of construction. The...
  • Georgia Tech: Hinman Research Building - Atlanta GA
    Funds provided by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) enabled the construction of Georgia Tech's Hinman Research Building ca. 1940.
  • Georgia Tech: Howell Residence Hall - Atlanta GA
    "Tech's development continued in the Fall of 1938 with the announcement that the Board of Regents, with Public Works Administration assistance, would spend $350,000 for the construction of four buildings and an addition to a fifth. Work began on the Howell and Harrison Dormitories by December of 1938."
  • Georgia Tech: Lyman Hall Chemistry Building Addition - Atlanta GA
    "The Works Progress Administration which as we have seen sponsored the Gymnasium for Georgia Tech, was also responsible for adding the third and final addition to the Lyman Hall Chemistry Building. Construction began on a three-story "L" shaped addition in February of 1936. This addition has a large, two-storied chemical engineering laboratory 22 feet by 72 feet. The third story of this building contained a lecture room, library, and offices. Designed by Bush-Brown, Galley and Associates, the building followed the Collegiate Gothic of the Emerson Addition in style ..."
  • Georgia Tech: Naval Armory (demolished) - Atlanta GA
    "The first building built under the "Civil Works Administration" was the Naval Armory. Constructed on the site of the temporary gym that burned in 1931, the Armory Building was a "no-frills" building. The building was to serve the Atlanta Naval Reserve, the Georgia Tech Naval ROTC unit, and the Communication Reserve of the U. S. Navy. By February of 1934, the foundations were almost completed and all of the labor for this project was being supplied by the Civilian Works Administration." The building was demolished in 1980 to make way for the Edge Athletic Center building.
  • Georgia Tech: Stephen C. Hall Building - Atlanta GA
    Georgia Tech's Stephen C. Hall Building was constructed as the Civil Engineering Building. "Today, the Stephen C. Hall Building houses the Writing and Communication programs at Georgia Tech, as part of the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts." "The Federal Government continued its support of Tech by assisting the Board of Regents in 1937 with the construction of the Civil Engineering Building and the Mechanical Engineering Drawing Building. This $275,000 project allowed three departments to move out of the Mechanical Engineering Building and the Electrical Engineering Building. It also increased Tech's research capability through a Hydraulics and Highway laboratory in the...
  • Gibbon Public School - Gibbon NE
    The Gibbon Public School was designed by John P. Helleberg, Kearney architect. The contract for plumbing and heating the school was given to Art Hilberg of Kearney in December 1935. The building was estimated to cost $45,400.00. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a grant in the amount of $20,450.00 toward the building’s construction. The construction of the school was initiated on February 24, 1936 and completed by August.
  • Gibbs Hall, Stephen F. Austin State University - Nacogdoches TX
    Serious discussion about building a new women's dormitory at Stephen F. Austin began immediately after the programs of the New Deal made the project feasible. The Board of Regents authorized the dorm's construction in July 1936. It took another two years before the appropriations for the women’s dormitory came through. The building was constructed with Public Works Administration funds. Construction started on September 6, 1938 under the supervision of architects Shirley Simon of Henderson and Hal Tucker of Nacogdoches. The building is named for Miss Eleanor H. Gibbs, one of SFA’s favorite members of the original faculty and Head of the...
  • Gideon High School - Gideon MO
    This long, linear high school was constructed as a PWA project in 1937. It is still in active use and in very good condition having been well-maintained.
  • Gilbert High School Tennis Courts - Gilbert AZ
    The Works Progress Administration built tennis courts for the Gilbert High School in Gilbert, Maricopa County. The original Gilbert High School, now the Gilbert Historical Museum, is located at 10 South Gilbert Road and was built in 1917. The building pictured in the background of the tennis court construction is still in place. Looking at the arrangement of windows and roofline, the courts would have been south of the building. That space is now occupied by a newer building meaning the tennis courts are no longer extant. 
  • Ginkgo Petrified Forest State Park Trailside Museum - Ellensburg WA
    While constructing central Washington's Vantage Highway in 1927, road workers uncovered the fossil remains of a diverse petrified forest. Over several years, local geologist George Beck advocated for the need to create a state park for preservation purposes. That goal was achieved in 1935 and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees began work to realize Beck's vision. From 1935 through 1938, the CCC developed the park. This work included unearthing and protecting the petrified logs in the park area as well as building structures for the Ginkgo Petrified Forest State Park. The National Park Service designed the structures and guided the CCC...
  • Gipsy School (former) - Gipsy MO
    This one-room stone school house features an unusual entry at its front corner. As of 2014 the building was abandoned and slowly deteriorating.
  • Glass Bowl Stadium, University of Toledo - Toledo OH
    "Originally known as University Stadium, was built in 1936 at a cost of only $335,000 as a Works Progress Administration project. Originally the natural seating bowl held 8,000 in two sideline grandstands. There was a grass hill at the south end of the stadium, and at the open (north) end of the bowl were two stone towers (still standing), that served as makeshift housing for the football team in its early years. Following World War II, the stadium was renovated, with many glass elements. Because of this, and the city's concentration on the industry, the stadium was renamed the...
  • Glassell Park Elementary School STEAM Magnet - Los Angeles CA
    Glassell Park Elementary School (today a STEAM Magnet), which opened in 1912, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of...
  • Glen Park Elementary School - San Francisco CA
    18 classrooms, library, auditorium. See Visitacion Valley Elementary School.
  • Glen Rose Dinosaur Tracks Display - Austin TX
    This small building on the grounds of the Texas Memorial Museum at the University of Texas was built by the WPA to house specimens from the Glen Rose Dinosaur Trackway. The tracks were removed and the building closed in 2004, after experts discovered that roof leakage, improper ventilation, and mold growth were damaging the tracks.  
  • Glendale Branch Library - Glendale NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed a new public library in Glendale, Queens. The WPA also constructed additions to other libraries in the borough.
  • Glendale Community College - Glendale CA
    Glendale Community College (formerly Junior College) relocated to its present campus in 1937. Several of the campus' original buildings—including the surviving John A. Davitt Administration Building—were constructed between 1936 and 1937 with the support of a bond election and funds matched equally by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant. "The initial campus would consist of four buildings: a 24,000 square-foot Administration Building, a 12,000 square-foot Science Building and men's and women's locker rooms, together totaling 6,960 square feet. This plant would have 32 classrooms and laboratories. Space would be set aside for a student-funded student union, auditorium, liberal arts and classroom...
  • Glendale High School - Glendale CA
    The Works Progress Administration improved a playground on the site of the Glendale High School.
  • Glendale Public Library (former) - Glendale CA
    The old Glendale Public Library was built in the early 1900s. The WPA added two wings between 1940 and 1942. Unfortunately this building was replaced by the current library in 1973 and demolished in 1977.
  • Glendale School - Glen MS
    Public Works Administration project 1083 funded the construction of the Glendale School in Alcorn County Mississippi. A loan of $8,500 and grant of $6,954 was approved 9/25/1935. Construction started 2/10/1936 and was completed 1/18/1937 for a total of $15,581. The newspaper accounts identify approval for a school building and annex.
  • Glendora School - Glendora CA
    The 1939 WPA Accomplishment Report for Southern California reports that the WPA demolished and reconstructed a school building in the Glendora school district. Exact location and current status unknown.
  • Glenn Dale Sanatorium - Glenn Dale MD
    The PWA constructed multiple buildings at the Glenn Dale Sanatorium (Then a tuberculosis hospital). The site is currently vacant but still standing. "Shortly thereafter, Congress approved a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant of $1,500,000 for the construction of an adult sanatorium to house four-hundred patients. The appropriation also allowed for the construction of associated buildings including nurse's dormitories, doctors' quarters, employee quarters, additions to the power plant, a laundry, a sewage disposal plant, and a garage. The appropriation also allowed water to be piped to the property from the Maryland Suburban Sanitary Commission...The PWA oversaw the planning and construction of federal...
  • Glenn H. Curtiss Memorial School (former) - Hammondsport NY
    The Works Progress Administration built the Glenn H. Curtiss Memorial School in Hammondsport NY. Originally the facility was the K-12 central school for Hammondsport, NY. It opened in 1936 and closed in 2010. Now in private hands.
  • Glenrose School (former) - Glenrose WA
    A WPA press release from Nov. 1937 reported: "More than 150 schools have been repaired and the grounds improved and landscaped , and five brand new schools in the state were erected entirely by WPA with a small percentage of sponsored funds," among which was a new school in Glenrose, Washington. The precise location and the present status of the school building are unknown to Living New Deal.
1 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 94