1 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 94
  • Fullerton Junior College - Fullerton CA
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA), the Public Works Administration (PWA), and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) funded pre-construction work, buildings, and landscaping as part of the Fullerton Junior College project.  Fullerton Junior College was founded in 1913 and originally shared a campus with Fullerton Union High School. The junior college provided high school graduates with a two-year program. In 1934, the CWA funded the clearing of a lot just east of the high school to prepare for a new campus for the junior college.  The campus was designed by architect Harry K. Vaughn in a Spanish Revival style. The plan was to...
  • Fullerton Museum Center (Old Public Library) - Fullerton CA
    In 1941, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a Public Library for the City of Fullerton, California. This replaced the existing Carnegie Library which was demolished to make way for the new building. The Public Library was built on the Carnegie Library site and on an additional plot of land just north of the original library. The library was designed by prominent architect, Harry Vaughn. It structure contains two wings and two courtyards. He designed the building with a mix of style influences including: Moorish, Aztec, and Spanish Revival. Vaughn designed another WPA project in the area - the original Fullerton...
  • Fullerton Union High School Facilities - Fullerton CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of a trades building- a two story reinforced concrete structure- meant to be used for instruction of various technical trades such as aeronautics, navigation, diesel engines, electrical work and radio. In 1934, State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA) and the PWA also funded new bleachers and locker rooms for Fullerton Union High School. Fullerton Union High School was originally founded in 1893. It served as the main secondary school for the area.  Fullerton Union High School’s Louis E. Plummer Auditorium houses a well-known Public Works of Art Project funded mural called Pastoral California by...
  • Fulton High School - Fulton MO
    Presently a middle school, the Fulton High School building was constructed by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works in  1938. An addition to the building was completed at a later date with the high school moving to the newer part of the building.
  • Fulton State Hospital - Fulton MO
    The Fulton State Hospital was the first mental health facility west of the Mississippi, opening originally in 1851. During the 1930s, an extensive building program transformed the hospital.  The building projects included: An addition to the clinic building, a power plant, dining and kitchen buildings, a five story hospital building, and two buildings associated with the Missouri penal system. Interestingly, all of the buildings are interconnected by underground tunnels.
  • G. B. Cooley Sanatorium (former) - West Monroe LA
    The G. B. Cooley Tuberculosis sanatorium was constructed by the Works Progress Administration. It was located at Pine Top, seven miles from Monroe, Louisiana, or at White's Ferry, 3 1/2 miles from Monroe, depending on source. The WPA provided $66,303 and the community and Tuberculosis and Public Health Association raised the remaining $10,000 for the project. The sanatorium was spearheaded by efforts of Captain G. B. Cooley of Monroe. The central structure was two stories with one-story wings on each side, approximately 7,000 square feet. The wings contained 11 bedrooms on each side, with one wing for men and one...
  • Galax Elementary School - Galax VA
    Galax, Virginia received a new school in 1937 with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The facility replaced a building that burned in 1936. Living New Deal believes the facility to be what is now Galax Elementary School. Construction occurred between January and December 1937. PWA Docket No. VA 1187.
  • Gallinger Municipal Hospital Improvements (demolished) - Washington DC
    The original Gallinger Hospital dates back to 1846, when the hospital was first located on the banks of the Anacostia River. The hospital moved to this site during the Civil War, with frame buildings meant to house wounded soldiers and more structures were added in 1923.  The hospital was abandoned in 1929, but the Works Progress Administration (WPA) rehabilitated the old complex in 1935-1936 for use as tuberculosis, child disability, psychiatric, and venereal disease wards. Work: A Journal of Progress reported: "The 45 buildings at Gallinger Hospital cover 65 acres. Under current appropriations funds have been allotted to permit the hiring of...
  • Galt School - Galt MO
    This PWA-constructed school is a combination of classrooms and an auditorium that is just south of the high school building.  It has a dark brick façade with the name and date clearly carved into the cornerstone. It is now Grundy County Middle School.
  • Galveston State Psychopathic Hospital Improvements - Galveston TX
    The Works Progress Administration completed improvements to the Galveston State Psychopathic Hospital Improvements in Galveston TX. According to a Waxahachie Daily Light, 1938, federal funds sponsored the following improvements work at the Galveston State Psychopathic Hospital: "mprove drives on grounds of Galveston State Psychopathic Hospital, and install drainage lines; Federal funds $2,027; sponsor's funds $1,914; workers 33." According to the Asylum Projects database: "The Marvin Graves Building was constructed in 1931 as the State Psychopathic Hospital and enlarged in 1936. Although located on the UTMB campus, it was administered independently of the school. Because of heavy damage from a 1943 hurricane, the state...
  • Garberville Public School - Garberville CA
    The Garberville School was built by Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works in 1939. Used as public school, and later School district administrative offices, performance space, The Osprey Learning center, and a teen center, the building was in decay, and was declared surplus by the School Board. In 2009 the College of the Redwoods purchased & rehabilitated most of the building as a satellite instructional site. In 2013 a non-profit organization The Redwood Playhouse leased and refurbished the former gymnasium and assembly hall as a performing arts theatre space that has hosted Dance, Music & Theatre Performance, Recitals & Rehearsals, Film Festivals,...
  • Garden Grove High School Improvements - Garden Grove CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements to Garden Grove High School school in the 1930s in response to damage the school suffered during the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) rebuilt the structure now known as Heritage Hall.
  • Garfield Elementary School - Sand Springs OK
    Public elementary school in Sand Springs, Oklahoma. Cornerstone says 1936 so assume that was completion date. The building has been added onto a few times and is still in use as an elementary school. The district's architect says it "has good bones" so the district is implementing a $5.5 million expansion and complete renovation to continue serving up to 500 students for years to come. "The entrance is accessed by two wide sets of concrete stairs, with 7 and 9 steps. The stairs have brick sidewalks. The north and south sections of the building are slightly projected. The building architect and...
  • Garfield Elementary School - Selma CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) constructed this Art Deco style building in the small town of Selma. The bronze plaque specifies that was project No. Calif. 1493-1-DS. The architect, W. D. Coates, also designed the Reedley Junior College for the PWA.
  • Garfield Elementary School Rehabilitation - Long Beach, CA
    The 1933 Long Beach Earthquake destroyed hundreds of schools throughout Southern California. Originally built in 1930, Garfield Elementary School in Long Beach, CA, was rehabilitated by D. Easton Herrald in 1935 with New Deal funding. “On August 29, 1933, Long Beach citizens approved a $4,930,000 bond measure for the rebuilding of schools. Applications for approximately thirty-five schools were filed with the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Public Works Administration (PWA); federal grants up to thirty percent of labor and material costs were obtained. To minimize costs, building materials were salvaged from damaged buildings, some schools were rehabilitated, and new schools were...
  • Garfield School - Mexico MO
    This school addition is located immediately to the west of the previous AP Green factory.  It has a rather unique art deco style on the front and rear façades.
  • Garfield School - Pine Lawn MO
    This well-built school was part of the same 1937 PWA project as the Jefferson School in the  adjacent Pasadena Hills. Unfortunately, this school has not been as well maintained and is currently permanently closed. Extending to the east from the school is a prominent rock wall that is either part of this project or potentially a WPA project.
  • Garfield School (former) - Socorro NM
    A plaque installed on the school building notes that the structure was built by the Works Progress Administration. The school name was later changed to Edward E. Torres School. It was closed in 2015 and is now used by Head Start. Note: The author of this entry taught at Garfield School from 1968 to 1971.
  • Garfield School (former) Improvements - Billings MT
    Now known as "The Garfield Resource Center," the WPA allocated funds toward the remodeling of what was then known as the Garfield School. Work began in 1935.
  • Garland High School Addition - Garland TX
    The first addition to Garland High School (originally built 1919) was added with financial and labor assistance from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1938-1940.
  • Garret Schenck School Repairs - Anson ME
    According to the community notes of April 25, 1935 Garrat Schenck School “During the vacation the FERA workers finished several very much needed bits of work for the school. A table for library use has been made for grade eight and a splendid cabinet has been constructed for scientific apparatus. Shelves have been placed in grades 3 and 4. Scrap lumber left by FERA workers will be utilized by the manual training department in their next project.”
  • Garvanza Elementary School - Los Angeles CA
    Garvanza Elementary School, which opened in 1899, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees with me...
  • Garvey Intermediate School - Rosemead CA
    The Works Progress Administration built the Garvey Intermediate School in Rosemead CA. The work included the demolition of the old building and the construction of a new sixteen-classroom and administration building, with landscaping.
  • Garwood Schoolhouse - Garwood MO
    This building was constructed as a schoolhouse for the rural community of Garwood by the Works Progress Administration of local materials and completed in 1940. The building also served as a community center. It is currently a private residence.  
  • Gary School Grounds Beautification - Tyler TX
    The school is a brick building erected in 1924. There is a rubble rock retaining wall on two sides and a rubble rock stairway. An article entitled "Smith County WPA Projects Get Approval" from Tyler (Texas) Daily Courier Times dated 8/5/1935. "One project of considerable interest to Tyler provides for the landscaping and improvements of the Gary school ground on South Chilton, at approximate cost of $10,000 to $12,000. The plans provide for making the grounds one of the most beautiful in Texas, according to Superintendent J.M. Hodges. They call for a retaining wall around sections washed away, shrubbery around the...
  • Gate School - Gate OK
    L shaped building on the north side of Gate, Beaver County. A description is contained in the NRHP listed below in Sources.
  • Gen. Richard B. Myers Hall - Manhattan KS
    The Work projects Administration (WPA) worked to construct the Military Science Building at Kansas State University in Manhattan. It was renamed Gen. Richard B. Myers Hall in 2006. "The building is home to K-State’s Army and Air Force ROTC programs, and is the only building on campus that was built during World War II." WPA Project No. 165-1-82-218 Cost: $92,595. Sponsor: War Department
  • General Hospital (former) - Battle Creek MI
    Battle Creek's six-story Y-shaped former General Hospital building was completed as part of a large Public Works Administration (P.W.A.)-sponsored project. The P.W.A. supplied a $300,000 loan for the project, whose total cost was $316,882. Work occurred between Nov. 1936 and Aug. 1938. The building, which has since been enlarged, presently serves as the West Brook Place housing complex. PWA Docket No. MI 4306
  • General Hospital (former) - Goleta CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked on the grounds of the former Santa Barbara General hospital in Goleta, CA, a sanitarium for tuberculosis sufferers. There may have been other work done on the hospital, as well.
  • Geneva High School Vocational and Home Economics Building - Geneva AL
    The Geneva High School Vocational and Home Economics Building was the first building built at Geneva High School during the 1937-1938 school year. The City of Geneva purchased the land from P.C. Black, Jim Johnson, Jr., and D.H. Morris. The building was built by the Works Progress Administration. Today the building is still used as History and Fine Arts classrooms.
  • Gentry Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
    Gentry Hall was constructed as a women’s dormitory, named after the second female graduate of the University of Missouri. This was part of the “women’s campus” on the east side of the MU campus and in contrast to how things are done now, there was a separation between the sites of the men’s and women’s dorms.
  • George Hall Junior High School - Ogdensburg NY
    Built between 1936 and 1937, the historic junior high school building in Ogdensburg, New York was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building is still in use, part of a larger educational complex. PWA Docket No. NY W1132. "Dec. 5, 1937: With the opening today of 15 classrooms in the elementary and junior high school, Ogdensburg was preparing to meet its educational needs of the present and immediate future by providing a $619,241 addition to its public school system." (Watertown)
  • George Hall Trade School - Ogdensburg NY
    Built between 1936 and 1938, the historic George Hall Trade School building in Ogdensburg, New York was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building is still in use, part of a larger educational complex. PWA Docket No. NY W1133.
  • George L. Vogel Elementary School - Wrentham MA
    In the winter of 1935, the Works Progress Administration started doing work throughout Wrentham, Massachusetts. In 1936, the WPA helped to develop the land for the town's new elementary school, which the town was in dire need of. The WPA workers took part in drainage and grading work. They laid a water pipe for the new school and lined the nearby brook with rocks.
  • George S. Gardiner High School (improvements) - Laurel MS
    Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds in the amount of $13,676 were approved for the Laurel Municipal school district to improve buildings, grounds and facilities at the George S. Gardiner High School and Kingston School. The work at Gardiner was for grounds improvements and reconditioning of the track and football practice areas for the 1922 school.
  • George Washington Carver Middle School – Los Angeles CA
    George Washington Carver Middle School—formerly William McKinley Junior High School—was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. Having originally opened in 1904, the school was renamed in 1943 "to foster racial harmony." Some PWA buildings appear to have survived subsequent reconstruction, but confirmation is needed. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake. One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over...
  • George Washington Carver School - Fulton MO
    George Washington Carver school was a school for African American students in Fulton during segregation.  It underwent integration in the 1960s.  While the structure is now abandoned, there are hopes that it can be rehabilitated.  The school’s namesake was present for the dedication of the building.
  • George Washington Elementary School (demolished) Renovations - Anaheim CA
    After the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake, Central Elementary School was reconstructed with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) and renamed George Washington Elementary School. During the project, carried out in 1938-39, all of the walls were replaced. Central Elementary School was Anaheim's first elementary school, opening in 1879. The reconstructed George Washington Elementary was repurposed in 1979 and finally demolished in 1998 to make way for the beautiful George Washington Park. There is a plaque on site that recognizes the significance of the location as being Anaheim's first elementary school, but does not mention the New Deal school that replaced it.
  • George Washington Elementary School Renovation - Burbank CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) renovated George Washington Elementary School in Burbank, CA, which had suffered damage in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.
  • George Washington High School - San Francisco CA
    George Washington High School in San Francisco was built with the help of Public Works Administration (PWA) funding. It was completed in 1937.   "This building was constructed to reduce overcrowded conditions in other senior high schools. It has 39 classrooms, boys' and girls' gymnasiums, a large auditorium with stage, a small music hall with platform and sloping floor, numerous special service rooms for sewing, cooking, bookkeeping, and other subjects." (Short and Stanley-Brown, p 240) The high school was part of a larger funding 'docket' from the PWA covering 12 elementary and high-school buildings in San Francisco.  The construction cost of Washington...
1 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 94