1 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 94
  • Crossett Experimental Forest Building # 6 - Crossett AR
    A "novelty siding-clad structure" built by the CCC. (Christ & Slater)
  • Crossett Experimental Forest Building # 8 - Crossett AR
    Wood-frame building, constructed adjacent to the main research office by the CCC.
  • Crossett Experimental Forest Project - Crossett AR
    The Crossett Experimental Forest is located about 11 km south of the town of Crossett in Ashley County, Arkansas. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration began the project in 1933 with "13 miles of pick-and-shovel-built FERA roads" (Reynolds). Firelines were built by the Works Progress Administration that are still in use today (Bragg & Gulden, 2009). Unspecified buildings were constructed in 1935 and 1936 by the WPA. The Civilian Conservation Corps built three buildings in 1939 and 1940. "Forest Service researchers associated with the Crossett have published more than 1,000 articles on forest management and silviculture. More than 45,000 foresters, students, landowners, and...
  • Crowder Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
    Crowder Hall is another of the “White Campus” projects and was and is the home to the University ROTC program. It was named after Enoch Crowder, Professor of Military Science at MU.
  • Cruzville School - Cruzville NM
    This school was built for the small community of Cruzville in 1938 by the WPA. The building is apparently now privately owned.
  • Crystal City High School - Crystal City MO
    Crystal City High School was a PWA project, completed in 1939. It consists of a colonial-style two story building with a brick façade, the main entry facing to the south, centered on the long access of that part of the building. It is still in active use.
  • Cuba Central School - Cuba NY
    The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) sponsored a large school/addition construction project in Cuba, New York during the Great Depression. The PWA provided a $247,500 grant for the project, whose total cost was $544,637. Construction occurred between Jan. 1938 and May 1939. PWA Docket No. NY W1353.
  • Cudahy High School - Cudahy WI
    An addition to the Cudahy High School was built as a Milwaukee County PWA construction project.
  • Cumberland School Addition - Whitefish Bay WI
    "Milwaukee County PWA Construction Projects-addition to Cumberland School in Whitefish Bay."
  • Curtis Hall, University of Missouri - Columbia MO
    Constructed by the PWA in 1939. Curtis Hall is on the main campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia. It was named after Winterton Curtis, Professor of Zoology who was one of the expert witnesses called to the Scopes “monkey” trial of 1925. The building was initially named the New Chemistry, then the BioChem building, and is now primarily used for genetics work.
  • Curtis High School Addition - Staten Island NY
    In 1937 an addition to Staten Island's Curtis High School was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building is still in use today.
  • Cushman School (demolished) Improvements - Boston MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor conducted improvements at the since-demolished Cushman School in Boston, Massachusetts. The facility was located at 44 Prince St. WPA Bulletin: To insure the safety of pupils in the Cushman School, North End, WPA has rebuilt the fire escapes, setting in new gratings, new hook bolts and hand rails. Seven ironworkers and three laborers were employed on this job.
  • Custer Elementary School - Custer WA
    The Works Progress Administration built the elementary school in Custer WA.
  • Cyclorama Building - Buffalo NY
    The Cyclorama Building was built in 1888 and showcased a variety of cycloramic exhibits, including "The Crucifixion of Christ" and "The Battle of Gettysburg." The city of Buffalo acquired the building in 1910, using it as a livery and taxi garage and as a roller skating rink. The building fell into disrepair until it was renovated and repaired by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1937. The WPA added new windows, a new floor, and a new roof and built an additional room, all for the cost of $36,000. In 1942, the Grosvenor Library purchased the building, converting it into...
  • Damien High School Mural - La Verne CA
    Petrachrome mural by Grace Clements. "Damien High is renovating their physical plant and the music building was one of the structures that needed some T.L.C. While removing the stucco that covered the building's facade the mural was uncovered. What the workers had found was Grace Clements' The Spirit of Music... This mural utilizes a technique called "petra-chrome," which was invented by Stanton Macdonald-Wright for the Federal Art Programs. It is concrete that is colored to create a permanent and weather resistant art work. It is a cousin of tile and opus sectile, but one that is more affordable and uniquely suited to...
  • Damien High School/Old Bonita Union High School - La Verne CA
    Then the Bonita Union High School, this school received extensive WPA support after the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. According the a 1939 WPA Accomplishment Report for Southern California, the federal government spent $63,927 on the school out of a total of $92,406. The WPA constructed three new reinforced concrete buildings on the site: a library and classroom building, girls gym, and music building. They also developed 7.22 acres for athletic and playground purposes (grading and seeding, handball courts with concrete floor and walls). When Bonita High School moved in 1959, the site was sold to the Catholic Diocese and became an...
  • Daniel Webster Elementary School Improvements - Pasadena CA
    1 of 27 schools in the Pasadena CA school system that the New Deal, whether the WPA or PWA, was involved in reconstructing, demolishing, or reinforcing after the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. Was built in 1926 in a Gothic style of architecture. Damaged slightly by the earthquake. October 31, 1935 WPA did reinforcement work to get the building up to standards.
  • Daniel Webster High School - Tulsa OK
    "The Daniel Webster High School is a two-story and basement structure which contains 15 classrooms, a library, 2 cafeterias, a lecture room, corrective gymnasium, girls' gymnasium, auditorium seating 400, domestic-science department, 2 manual training rooms, 3 laboratories, offices, swimming pool, dressing rooms. Another adjacent building houses shops, boys' gymnasium, and lockers. Both structures are fireproof. Exterior walls are brick with stone trim. Both buildings were completed in July 1938 at a construction cost of $662,855 and a project cost of $768,257." (Short and Brown) "Daniel Webster High School is a high school in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It is part of the Tulsa Public...
  • Danville High School - Danville VT
    The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Danville High School in Danville, Caledonia County. The two-story school was built in 1938 and housed grammar and high school grades. The architect of record was Galen H. Nichols. The building replaced a structure built in 1840, and reproduced some architectural elements from the old structure, such as the columns that mark the entrance. Docket No. Vt. 1075-DS.
  • Dauffau School Gymnasium - Dauffau TX
    Rubble rock building with a WPA plaque. START WORK ON DUFFAU PROJECT: Construction work is under way on the $13,500 gymnasium building of the Duffau school, with Bryan Casbeer, of Lampasas, as project superintendent. The project is being financed through a bond issue of the Duffau school district and the Works Progress Administration. W. W. Stevens, area engineer, Hamilton, was in Stephenville last Monday and reported that 32 WHA laborers were employed on the project. He said that 50 men were expected to be hired by April 23, when the WPA will complete a school ground improvement project at Alexander. Laborers on...
  • Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum - Heber City UT
    The former Heber City library was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the latter years of the Great Depression. Construction occurred between August 1938 and May 1939. The PWA supplied a grant of $13,275 toward the project, whose total cost was $27,529.  It was PWA Project No. UT W1142. The building served as the community's library until construction of the new Wasatch County Library during the 2000s. The New Deal facility now houses the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum. National Register of Historic Places nomination for for Midvale Library notes that the architects Ashton & Evans designed Heber...
  • Davis College (USC) Improvements - Columbia SC
    Davis College, a building on the University of South Carolina campus in Columbia, South Carolina, presently houses the school's College of Library and Information Science. The building was improved with New Deal funds. The school's building history page states: "In 1934 a Civil Works Administration grant paid for repairs to LeConte, Davis, Sloan, Rutledge, and DeSaussure colleges and other buildings." Davis College is located south of Gibbes Green and the McKissick Museum.
  • Davisville School (former) - Davisville MO
    The Davisville School was completed with funds and labor provided by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). It is a single or two-room school wi th a facade made of local rock. Presently, it is the site of the Davisville American Legion post.
  • Day Street School - Montgomery AL
    The Works Progress Administration built the Day Street School in Montgomery. This was one of seven schools that were upgraded with larger classrooms throughout Montgomery County. Federal cost: $42,062.
  • Dayton Veterans Affairs Medical Center - Dayton OH
    "Established in 1867, the Central Branch, National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Dayton, Ohio (now the Dayton Veterans Affairs Medical Center) was one of the three original branches in the National Home system, which provided medical and rehabilitative care to Union veterans after the Civil War. The Central Branch was the first branch laid out using a decentralized plan with a grid pattern for the streets and a Picturesque style landscape for the parks and gardens surrounding the campus core. This campus plan served as a model for the remaining National Home branches and later VA hospitals. The early Veterans...
  • De Kalb High School Gymnasium - De Kalb MS
    The National Youth Administration built this 1.5 story gymnasium for De Kalb High School in 1938. The gym remains extant.
  • De Lano Alternative School - Kansas City MO
    "This school is for crippled children and for children who are deficient in sight or hearing or who are cardiac cases. A partial basement provides a manual training department, a playroom, and three unfinished rooms. The first floor has four divisions: (a) Administration, library, and assembly rooms; (b) five classrooms and kindergarten; (c) home economics, restrooms, and lunchroom; (d) hydrotherapy, physiotherapy, and occupational therapy. The construction is fireproof. No stairs are used, ramps taking their place. The building will accommodate 125 children. The estimated construction cost was $324,775 and the project cost was approximately $362,396."
  • De Young Museum (demolished) - San Francisco CA
    Rehabilitated and completed most of museum building, ventilation and heating.--Healy, p. 71. Unfortunately, this building was severely damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. It was eventually demolished and replaced with the new structure which opened in 2005.
  • Delanco School Repairs (demolished) - Delanco NJ
    The Works Progress Administration completed repairs at the Delanco school in Delanco NJ. "Just when things looked as if they might be getting better, they found in 1937 that the walls in the· auditorium were faulty and unsafe. They were rebuilt by the Works Projects Administration - more familiarly the WPA." The facility was located at Walnut, Hickory, Union and Chestnut St. It was removed circa 1962.
  • Delano High School - Delano CA
    Delano High School was built with the aid of funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The name of the school at the time of construction was Delano Joint Union High School. The building design is elegant Streamline Moderne, on three levels. In the last decade, the classic white exterior paint (probably repeated since the building's origin) has recently been replaced with more eye-catching colors, name, logo and images.  Still, the New Deal era school appears to be largely intact.  The one-story classroom building with pillared breezeway and the quonset-hut gymnasium also look to be original. There are plaques on the building...
  • Delaware Academy - Delhi NY
    Delaware Academy, in Delhi, New York was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building bears a 1939 cornerstone and Federal Works Agency: Public Works Administration plaque.
  • Delaware Regional Center (old School) - Masonville NY
    Living New Deal believes that the former school building—now Delaware Regional Center—at 15598 State Highway 8 in Masonville, New York was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building exhibits a 1941 cornerstone.
  • Delaware State College Improvements - Dover DE
    The WPA conducted improvements, including a sewage disposal plant, at the State Negro College, which was established in 1921. From the Delaware Public Archives: "On June 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees of the State College for colored students, later known as Delaware State College, approved a resolution recommending the establishment of a four year high school for Negro students on its campus. This was the second such institution in the state, and the first outside of Wilmington. Many of the classes were held in the Dupont Building, also known as the Practice School. This building was named for Pierre S....
  • Delmar School (demolished) - Delmar DE
    The PWA completed this addition to the Delmar School in 1939. The school was reportedly demolished and rebuilt in 2000.
  • Delta High School Mechanical Arts Building (demolished) - Delta UT
    A new Mechanical Arts building was constructed for Delta High School, in Delta, Utah in 1935-36 with funding from the federal Public Works Administration (PWA).   It was part of a larger project for the Millard County School District that included a gymnasium for Hinckley High School in Hinckley and a gymnasium at Millard High School in Fillmore.  Total cost for the three buildings was $130,000.  The architects of all three were Carl W. Scott and George W. Welch. The contractors were Talboe and Litchfield. Delta High School was torn down and replaced by a new school complex in the early 2000s....
  • Delta Primary Care Rural Health Clinic - Indianola MS
    The former King's Daughters Hospital was completed as PWA project 1243. The hospital was funded by a $14,400 grant approved 6/22/1938. Contracts were awarded to S. J. Aswell for construction and construction began the same day. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the one story structure of hollow tile and stucco, 107 feet width and 77 feet length . It was located off Hwy. 82 to be easily seen, yet far enough away to diminish traffic noise. It accommodated a maximum of 27 patients and reports vary the total cost between $32,000 and $40,000. It was completed...
  • Delta School - Vollmers CA
    This rural Shasta County schoolhouse was built with funding from the WPA in the period between 1935 and 1938. The school building has since been remodeled and is currently in use as a private residence.  
  • Delta State University Improvements - Cleveland MS
    Federal aid from the Emergency Relief Administration to match $200,000 appropriated by Mississippi legislature was awarded to repair and improve the six state universities and colleges. Delta State Teachers College received $15,595.20 for dormitory renovations, auditorium repairs, and painting other buildings. Complete interior renovation of two men’s dormitories began August 25, 1934, for an expected cost of $15,000 for new plumbing, lights, wall and ceiling plastering, and new woodwork. Hardee Hall, originally constructed 1912-1914, and Taylor Hall, constructed 1912-1914, were part of the Bolivar County Agricultural High School and among the first buildings for Delta State Teachers College. Hardee was...
  • Delta State University: Doolittle Building - Cleveland MS
    The annex to the Hill Demonstration School was constructed with funds from the WPA. The building was dedicated in 1939 and named for the director of the demonstration school. The Art Moderne building was designed by campus engineer J. S. Sigler, and was demolished in 1974.
1 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 94