1 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 94
  • Copiah-Lincoln Community College: James M. Ewing Administration Building - Wesson MS
    Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1178 constructed the Chapel Building (now known as J. M. Ewing Administration Building) and the Faculty House (now used as the Girls Honor Dormitory) for Copiah-Lincoln Junior College, known locally as Co-Lin. A $36,000 grant toward total expenditures of $80,000 were approved 11/17/1936. Construction by the I. C. Garber and Son company began 2/15/1937. Architects for the project were Hull and Drummond. Construction was completed 10/14/1937. The Faculty House was first unit in the $80,000 building program for the college. Copiah and Lincoln Counties each appropriated $22,500 toward the cost. Members of faculty began moving in...
  • Coral Gables Museum - Coral Gables FL
    Originally the local police and fire station. "The Coral Gables Public Safety Building, more commonly referred to as the Old Police and Fire Station, was built in 1939 on the corner of Argon Avenue and Salzedo Street. Phineas Paist, the city's principal architect, included a courtroom and a jail in his design of the building. The structure is constructed of oolitic limestone, a type of rock native to this area. The Salzedo Street side of the building is decorated with impressive carvings of firefighters, as well as images of the people and pets that they are sworn to save from fires...
  • Coral Gables Woman's Club - Coral Gables FL
    The Works Progress Administration built a community house and library in Coral Gables, Florida. The building now serves as the Coral Gables Woman's Club. "During the Great Depression, the national Works Projects Administration operated projects in cooperation with state and local governments throughout the country. Of the 17 projects approved for Coral Gables, a library and community building built on land donated by the City was completed in 1937. The coral rock building at 1001 East Ponce de Leon Boulevard was the Library’s location for more than 30 years. The building also housed the Woman’s Club which operated the Library until 1953...
  • Coral Way School - Miami FL
    "Coral Way School, built as Coral Way Elementary School in 1936, is a K-8 school located in Miami, Florida, USA... The school building was designed by August Geiger, a noted South Florida architect who worked for the Dade County School Board. The architecture is in a Mediterranean Revival style with arcaded walkways around interior courtyards resplendent with lush foliage. It was constructed under the auspices of the Works Projects Administration and completed in 1936."   (wikipedia) The school also received numerous WPA artworks, including several mosaics of local animals and Art Deco mosaics of figures picking oranges.
  • Corcoran Union High School - Corcoran CA
    Corcoran Union High School was constructed in 1939 through the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The facility has since been expanded with numerous additions into a larger educational campus.
  • Cornell School Addition - Albany CA
    'Build new addition to Cornell school building and install playground benches.' - 'Classification by County of California Works Projects,' California WPA, 1935
  • Cornell University Improvements - Ithaca NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve Cornell University in Ithaca, New York during the 1930s. One project, which cost $5,397 (of which the WPA acontributed $2,321) was described by the WPA in its project rolls: "rovide for added fire protection and additional heating facilities ... including installing water and storm lines; placing valves, hydrants, and fittings; constructing storm tunnel;" and performing related work.
  • Cornell University: Veterinary College Improvements (former site) - Ithaca NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve the grounds of the Veterinary College of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York during the 1930s. The school was then located at "its original site at the southeast corner of East Avenue and Tower Road until 1957, when it moved to its present site at the east end of Tower Road." (Cornell). One project, which cost $17,266 (of which the WPA contributed $9,937) was described by the WPA in its project rolls: "rading and seeding; constructing walks, drives, parking areas, walls, curbs, fences, and storm sewers; and performing appurtenant and incidental work including removing...
  • Corona Avenue Elementary School - Bell CA
    Corona Avenue Elementary School, which opened in 1926, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. Architect Richard Nuetra helped transform Corona into an “experimental” school by designing huge sliding glass patio walls. Corona Avenue Elementary has since become an historical landmark. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news...
  • Corona Creek Elementary School Improvements - Petaluma CA
    This may have been the Waugh School, which benefited from several WPA projects. The WPA installed a new foundation, strengthened and reinforced the framing of the building, added a new stucco exterior, and reroofed and repainted it.
  • Corona Public School - Corona NM
    This school, located at the northeast corner of Duboise Ave. and Pinon Street in Corona, New Mexico, was constructed ca. 1939 by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). WPA Official Project # 665-85-2-196.
  • Coronado Elementary School - Albuquerque NM
    "For years, a territorial-style two-story building has stood as an unofficial sentry into the Barelas neighborhood at Fourth Street coming from Downtown. Until 1975, it was an elementary school that had been built by the Public Works Administration as part of the New Deal that eventually was too small for the hordes of neighborhood children. And until recently, it housed Albuquerque Public Schools administrators and records, as transients patrolled the nearby streets searching for local soup kitchens. Come August, the freshly scrubbed and modernized Coronado Elementary at 601 Fourth SW will again house students to accommodate an increased demand for...
  • Coronado High School - Coronado CA
    This Works Progress Administration (WPA) building is also the site of the "Legend of California" relief panels, sculpted in 1939 by Donald Hord for the WPA Federal Art Project.
  • Coronado High School Reliefs - Coronado CA
    These seven 6' x 9' relief panels are carved from Indiana limestone and were intended for the school library. "The Legend of California is a set of seven incised relief panels carved from Indiana limestone for the Library of the Coronado High School. Dedicated in February of 1941, the central panel depicts the mythical Amazonian Queen Calafia, after whom California was named. The side panels depict the various ethnic groups that have made up the population of the state. The Legend of California was executed under the sponsorship of the Federal Government Works Progress Administration." (https://content.cdlib.org)
  • Coronado Public Library Tapestry - Coronado CA
    This 59" high woven tapestry "Fruits of the Earth" was designed by Donal Hord, and woven by Marian Kendall, V. Kelley, and F. Manchester. It was created in 1939 with support from the WPA Federal Art Project. It originally hung at the San Diego Administration Center.
  • Coryell County Hospital (former) - Gatesville TX
    In 1940, Coryell County voters passed an issue for $30,000 in bonds bearing interest at the rate of not more than three percent to build a county hospital. Those bonds were issued on July 8, 1940. Designed by architects Brooks Pierson of Waco and L. S. Secrest of Gatesville, a 34-bed hospital built primarily with Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor was constructed and equipped between 1942 and 1943 at a cost of around $60,000. The county renovated the building in 2013 for a mental health unit, and currently the building is the Gatesville Center for Central County Services, which provides treatment for...
  • Cotaco School Library - Somerville AL
    The Works Progress Administration built a vocational building for the Cotaco School. Correspondence with David Burleson, local source: "The last 8 pictures are of the Cotaco High School vocational building referred to in the 1938 work order At that time Cotaco was an elementary school and high school; grades 1 thru 12. In the late 1960’s or early 1970’s Cotaco and three or four other schools consolidated the high school grades into a new school in central Morgan County. That left Cotaco as an elementary school and middle school. Sometime in the 1990’s the vocational building was remodeled into the...
  • Cotter High School (demolished) - Cotter AR
    Constructed by the WPA in 1936-1938, the high school building was destroyed by fire in 1977.
  • Cotter High School Gymnasium (former) - Cotter AR
    This rock building was constructed in 1936-1938. It was used as the gym until 1980 when a new high school complex and gym was constructed. It is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is used as a gym by the North Arkansas Youth Center.
  • Cotton Auditorium - Fort Bragg CA
    The Cotton auditorium stands adjacent to the Fort Bragg Middle School (formerly Fort Bragg High School).  It was completed in 1938 with Public Works Administration (PWA) funding and named after Principal Joel Cotton in 1939. It was restored in 2006. The style of Cotton Auditorium, which is rather unusual for New Deal era civic structures, is typical of lumber towns like Fort Bragg in the redwood country of California's North Coast.  
  • Country School - Worland WY
    The Works Progress Administration built a one-room country school in Worland, Washakie County. The location and status of the facility are presently unknown to Living New Deal.
  • County Hospital (former) Expansion - Mesa AZ
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an addition to the County Hospital, also known as the Southside District Hospital in Mesa. The hospital was built in 1923 as a 12-bed facility with emergency and surgical services. The hospital expanded to 37 beds after the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an addition. This was the only hospital facility in Mesa at that time. The building was designed in the Mission Revival style, with typical architectural elements such as arched openings and clay tile roof. Pictured are hospital facilities such as an x-ray room, an operating room, and the nursery. The exact location...
  • County Library Branch - Visalia CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided the funding for the Visalia branch public library, built in 1936. The design is Mission Revival, with tile roof, stucco walls and exposed beams. It has four wings extending from a central entrance with a raised roof. In 1926 the city of Visalia offered to furnish a site and pay one-half the cost of a new library branch, but the county declined the offer. Then the PWA stepped in and the building was constructed as a city library.  In 1961, an addition was made to the south wing. In 1976, a new joint Tulare County/Visalia City...
  • County Schools Improvements - Parkersburg WV
    The Works Progress Administration completed improvements for county schools in Parkersburg, Wood County. The exact location of these facilities is unknown to the Living New Deal.
  • Court Junior High School - Las Cruces NM
    "President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal programs put people to work. Young men in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built flood control projects at Elephant Butte Dam. Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers built three schools in Las Cruces, including Court Junior High. They also built numerous tourist and recreation facilities in the area. Picacho Avenue earned the nickname 'Little Oklahoma' when it became a thoroughfare for refugees bound for California. Stranded and destitute, travelers sold their belongings for gas money. This roadside trade was the precursor of Picacho Avenue's antique and second-hand stores." -Las Cruces: Crossroads of History
  • Courtyard Theater - Plano TX
    "In the fall of 1999, the Plano City Council established a tax increment finance district in downtown Plano. Four and a half million dollars of the projected income from the district was earmarked for the creation of the Courtyard Theater. This project is an adaptive re-use of the Cox Annex, a historic structure located in Haggard Park Historic District. The Cox gymnasium/auditorium was built in 1938 as a Works Progress Administration project. Interestingly, it was constructed on almost the exact location of the Civic Auditorium (1909) which had been built by subscriptions pledged by Plano citizens. Here the Lyceum was held...
  • Cousins Hall Expansion (WTAMU) - Canyon TX
    WTAMU's Cousins Hall was expanded as a New Deal project during the 1930s. Construction was undertaken with the aid of Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds.
  • Cove Creek High School - Sugar Grove NC
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the stately and historic Cove Creek High School building in Sugar Grove, North Carolina. It was one of many educational facilities constructed by the WPA in Watauga County. The building features three WPA plaques (one at each entrance). Wikipedia: "It was built by the Works Progress Administration in 1940–1941, and is a two-story, Collegiate Gothic style stone building. It is seven bays wide and features slightly projecting square stair towers and a crenellated roof parapet. It was designed by Clarence R. Coffey, an apprentice of Frank Lloyd Wright, and constructed by local artisans and laborers...
  • Covina High School Music Building - Covina CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a one-story frame and stucco music building at Covina High School in Covina, CA. "The school had been badly crowded, therefore, the Orchestra and Glee Club classes were held in the same building with other classes which was very disturbing to the rest of the school. Completion of this Music Hall corrected this condition by giving these music classes a building of their own, thereby improving the education facilities of the entire school" (Connolly & Farman, 1939).
  • Cranberry High School Gym - Elk Park NC
    Originally a gym for Cranberry High School. Now owned by an alumni group and used for various functions. The WPA began building the gymnasium on January 27, 1937. The construction employed sixty workers and cost $12,000. On the cusp of its construction, a Johnson City, Tennessee newspaper described the planned 80’ by 120’ building as having a coach’s office, dressing rooms for girls and boys. Native stone formed the foundation and basement and stained shingles sheathed the exterior. The gymnasium was one of 277 recreational buildings constructed in North Carolina by the WPA by the spring of 1942. One year later,...
  • Crane Eater School (former) - Calhoun GA
    In 1934 the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) completed a Civil Works Administration (CWA) project in Crane Eater, Georgia, about six miles east of Calhoun: a two-room schoolhouse. The location and status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Cranford High School - Cranford NJ
    In the mid 1930s the new Cranford High School building was constructed with assistance from the Federal Public Works Administration (PWA). In their photographic history of Cranford, New Jersey, Robert Fridlington and Lawrence Fuhro tell us that the high school building was dedicated on January 3, 1938. At the time, it was a six year school serving seventh through twelfth graders. In the words of Fridlington and Fuhro, "he forty-nine-classroom building cost $850,000, nearly half the amount coming from the New Deal's Public Works Administration." (1996: 98)
  • Cranston Calvert Elementary School Addition - Newport RI
    New Deal-funded crews built an addition to the Calvert School, now Cranston Calvert Elementary. The school closed in 2013, though the building remains standing as of May 2015. The Newport Mercury, linked below, suggests that funding was through the PWA: "Official approval 0f Ray E. Wilson. Jr., as plumbing contractor for the Cranston-Calvert school improvements now being carried on through PWA funds has been received by Superintendent of Schools Lowe. Mr. Wilson has started work at Cranston. Superintendent Lowe said today that he expected to receive approval from the PWA office on the Humford plans any day."
  • Cravens Hall (I.U.) - Bloomington IN
    Cravens, originally the north wing of an all-men's dorm, is now part of Collins Living-Learning Center, an undergraduate community at Indian University. It was constructed by the Federal Works Agency (FWA) in 1940.
  • Crawford Engineering Technology Hall (SCSU) - Orangeburg SC
    Multiple New Deal-supported construction projects were undertaken on the campus of South Carolina State University during the Great Depression. "his large two-story brick building was designed by Professors Paul V. Jewell and John H. Blanche. Financed by the Work Projects Administration (WPA) as a trades building ..." (sc.gov)
  • Creedmoor Psychiatric Hospital Improvements - Jamaica NY
    The WPA made numerous improvements to the rapidly growing Creedmoor Psychiatric Hospital in Jamaica, New York during the 1930s. Projects included: the installation of "underground piping for heating"; "excavation and construction of steam tunnels"; the "planting of trees and shrubs"; grading the hospital's grounds; fencing the grounds; constructing "additions to shop building" as well as to garages and to the "South wing"; and more. WPA Official Project No. 65-97-501.
  • Creeds Elementary School - Virginia Beach VA
    Creeds School was constructed for the 1939-40 school year with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration. The twelve-room structure served students from first grade through high school in the rural community of Creeds in Princess Anne County, Virginia. In 1954 when a new high school was opened in the county, Creeds School no longer offered upper level classwork. Creeds Elementary School, now located within the city of Virginia Beach, remains a vital and vibrant part of the Creeds community.
  • Crichton Elementary School (former) Addition - Mobile AL
    The Works Progress Administration built an addition for the Crichton Elementary School in Mobile. The architect of record was Fred W. Clarke. The school was permanently closed. The current state of the structure is unknown to the Living New Deal.
  • Crocker School - San Mateo CA
    New Deal school in Daly City.
  • Crossett Experimental Forest Building # 2 - Crossett AR
    This "garage-type log building" was constructed in 1939 by the 768th company of the Arkansas CCC. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 94