1 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 94
  • Columbia High School - Columbia MS
    PWA project 1212 in Mississippi, the two-story, reinforced concrete building "...may be the best early example of the International style in the state and attracted national attention when it opened" (Mississippi Department of Archives and History). It was featured in both Architectural Forum and The New Yorker magazine when it opened (Preziosi, 2008). It is alternatively described as Art Moderne (MDAH).
  • Columbia Hospital (former) Improvements - Washington DC
    The Columbia Hospital for Women was established at this site in 1870. According to Works Progress Administration (WPA) records in the National Archives, the WPA did extensive improvements at the site in 1938, "working on the grounds, erecting fences, pointing up the masonry wall, lining coping on wall, and other  incidental and appurtenant work." Although the archival records only indicate that the work was approved, this project was most likely completed as described, when the WPA was very active around the District of Columbia. The extensive brick facility is now a condominium residence called "The Columbia Residences." 
  • Columbian School - Raton NM
    The Atlas of Historic New Mexico Maps, produced with assistance from the New Mexico Humanities Council and the New Mexico Chapter of the National New Deal Preservation Association, lists a number of New Deal schools in Raton Kearny Elementary, Longfellow Elementary, Columbian School, and Raton Junior-Senior High School are all listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Columbus Branch Library (former) Improvements - New Rochelle NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve New Rochelle's, New York's former Columbus Branch Library (a.k.a. Feeney Park Library; opened 1931) during the 1930s. The exact location and present status of the building that housed the library, which was used as such until 1980, is presently unknown to Living New Deal. One WPA project, which involved numerous municipal buildings in New Rochelle including this one, was described by the WPA in its project rolls: "Work includes performing carpentry, masonry, and sheet metal work; excavating and constructing walls; painting, placing tile, and roofing." WPA Official Project No. 665-21-2-635.
  • Columbus School - Columbus MT
    In 1938 the WPA allocated funds for the construction of a new school building in Columbus, Montana. The location and current status of the structure in question is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Columbus School - Columbus NM
    "Deming has an impressive list of WPA projects: Deming Public Library, Country Club, Junior High, Morgan Hall, Columbus School, Sunshine School, Hospital addition, Park, street paving, sewer work, curbs and trees plus a National Guard building." -Phyllis Eileen Banks
  • Commerce High School Athletic Field - San Francisco CA
    Built the playing field consisting of running track, 2 high jumps, pole vault, shot put, broad jump, pit and runway, equipment house; remodeled training quarters; surfaced basketball court and painted grandstands--Healy, p.72. This facility operated as the High School of Commerce Athletic Field until 1952. By 1980, it had been razed to make room for the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall. A plaque on the corner of the building at Hayes and Van Ness now commemorates the dynamic history of this city block.
  • Commerce Middle School - Commerce OK
    Originally built as the community's high school, one of the facilities that makes up what is now Commerce Middle School campus was constructed as a New Deal project. The 136' x 103' structure, which features a gymnasium, was "initiated by the Oklahoma Emergency Relief Administration and finished by WPA labor." It is located along S Cherry St., as opposed to Commerce St.
  • Community Building (former) - Helmsburg IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a community building and gymnasium in Helmsburg, Indiana. Constructed of native timber, the "interior is finished in beaver board. Asphalt shingles were used as the exterior covering. Lumber used for the window and and door frames and casings and other wood trimmings was dressed by hand. The floor also was sanded by hand as electric current was not available." The location and status of the structure is unknown to Living New Deal; however, we believe it to be demolished.
  • Community Building (former) - Little York IN
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a community building and gymnasium in Little York, Indiana. The building, which is located at the southwest corner of N School Rd. and W Mill Rd., is now privately owned. "The Little York community building provides an example of a structure built almost entirely of native timber. Work on the building was started under a Federal Emergency Relief Administration project which was responsible for the sawing of 34,000 feet of timber. The structure, which is 90 by 50 feet, contains a basketball floor, a stage, galleries and two small...
  • Community Building (former) - Wadesville IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a community building and gymnasium in Wadesville, Indiana. The building was later remodeled and served as a VFW Post. Now privately owned, it has been again remodeled and better resembles its original appearance. The shop even bears its original wood floor! "The Wadesville building, dedicated recently, is typical of the structures being erected under the project. It is of one-story frame construction, 100 by 64 feet in size with a high arched roof supported by heavy steel framework. It is lised throughout with celotex. A regulation size basketball floor surrounded by bench type bleachers with a...
  • Community Center - Clearview OK
    This one-story red brick building was completed in 1939 by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). The school has long been gone. The building which is located on Douglas Avenue in the northwest part of Clearview, is currently being used as the Community Center. A porch has been added to the front, and remodeling has been done on the interior, including adding dropped ceilings, a dining area and kitchen facilities. Portions of a rock wall can still be seen which surrounded the entire school campus. A concrete cornerstone on the southeast corner has raised letters on the south side reading "WPA". The...
  • Community Center - Marlow OK
    This is a one-story native sandstone building with a gabled roof, built by the Federal Works Progress Administration in 1937.  On both sides of the walls flanking the entrance, a concrete panel shows the stamped WPA shield. The concrete lintel for these doors is engraved "OAK LAWN DIST. 273". This area may have contained more buildings in the past, but this classroom building is all that remains. This building is still in use as the local Community Center.
  • Community Center - Pence WI
    The gorgeous community center in Pence, Wisconsin, located on the south side of Trezona St. between Maple St. and Cedar St., was constructed by the Work Projects Administration (WPA) in 1941. Lake Shore Visitor: "Last year, through a WPA project, a community center was erected. It contains a large gymnasium, a library, a meeting room, garage, and fire-fighting equipment space. A recreational program providing entertainment facilities for all age groups has been established."
  • Community Center - Strang OK
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a community center in Strang, Oklahoma. Per The Daily Mayes County Democrat: "WPA assistance has been responsible for many community center buildings in this section of the state. Shown here is a native stone building at Strang which is used as a school gymnasium and community hall. Many large gatherings are held here which otherwise could not be accommodated in the Strang neighborhood." The location and status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Community Center (former School) Expansion - Desdemona TX
    Buff brick building. Main section is two stories, with one story wings on each side. There is a plaque on the main/center section " Works Progress Administration 1935-1937" The Desdemona School (grades 1-12) was built in 1922 and expanded as a WPA project completed in 1937. It finally closed in 1969. The building is now the Desdemona Community Center.
  • Community Center and Historical Museum - El Monte CA
    In 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a community center and adjoining public library (today's Historical Museum) in El Monte, CA. The adobe-style structures were built of reinforced concrete and stucco. The community center originally housed city offices, meeting rooms for clubs and organizations, a pair of auditoriums with capacities of 250 and 600, as well as a large kitchen and several kitchenettes. Today, the community center houses administrative offices and meeting rooms available for public use. According to his daughter, JoAnn Ells Ebele, El Monte's Depression-era City Engineer Joseph C. Ells traveled to Washington, D.C., to secure the approval of...
  • Community Center and Library - Mercer WI
    "In 1936, with funding supplied by the Federal Government through an agency called the "Works Progress Administration" (WPA), and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the Town of Mercer started work on the Mercer Community Center/Public Library. Constructed entirely of pine logs from the area, it consisted of a main hall and a small area to house the library."   (https://www.mercerwi.com) "The WPA workers who built this hall were all Finish woodsmen. The building is made of hand hewn pine logs, cut to fit together without mortar."  (https://newdeal.feri.org) The building fell into disrepair in the late 1950s, but the town remodeled it in the...
  • Community House - Eupora MS
    The stone veneer facade, one-story stone and brick Community House was constructed with Work Progress Administration funding in 1938. One room of the Community House was designated for a library in 1966. The first known library in the county was established in the courthouse through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the Great Depression but was in existence only eight months.
  • Community School - Prospect CT
    Prospect, Connecticut's Community School was originally constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.)-sponsored project. The P.W.A. supplied a $19,675 grant for the project, whose total cost was $43,951. Construction occurred between Dec. 1935 and Oct. 1936. The facility has since been expanded. P.W.A. Docket No. CT 1032
  • Compton College Auditorium - Compton CA
    The auditorium at Compton College (formerly Compton Junior College) in Compton, CA, was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) after the campus suffered damage in the devastating 1933 Long Beach earthquake. Construction of the auditorium had begun under the California State Relief Administration (SRA); it was completed by the WPA at a federal cost of $8,345 and $24,578 total. It is possible the WPA was also responsible for building the College's main building and women's gym. It is unclear if these structures have survived ongoing construction at Compton College funded by the November 2002 passage of Measure CC—which authorized the issuance...
  • Compton High School Improvements - Compton CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed a series of improvements and construction projects at Compton High School in Compton, CA. WPA laborers constructed the school auditorium; the women's gymnasium; and a 50' x 100' pool and bath house with showers, toilets, dressing rooms, etc. Compton High School was demolished in 2021 to allow for the construction of a modern campus, scheduled to open in 2025.
  • Concord Public Library - Concord NH
    "The year 1938 is most remembered for the devastating hurricane and subsequent floods, but this was also the year steps were taken that resulted in a new library building being built. Although an urgent need for expanded library facilities had been felt for some time, the matter did not come to a head until the State of New Hampshire started condemnation proceedings to acquire the library property to make way for the State House Annex. Fortunately, sufficient funds were made available from the condemnation award, various library construction trusts and a federal PWA grant to finance at no direct cost...
  • Concord University (Concord State Teachers College): Sarvay Hall - Athens WV
    The Public Works Administration funded the construction of women’s dormitories for the Concord University (Concord State Teachers College) in Athens. Project W. Va.-1058-R. Today the building is still in service as a residence hall an operates as Sarvay Hall.
  • Congress Heights Recreation Area Improvements - Washington DC
    In 1942, the Washington Post reported the allocation of $7,953 to the Federal Works Agency (FWA) for new construction and/or improvements to the Congress Heights Recreation Center (now Recreation Area).  As part of the District's new PlayDC initiative, the playground was renovated in 2013-14.  It is unclear what FWA work may still be visible at the site.
  • Conley Grammar School - Taft CA
    'The elementary classes of the Conley School District of Taft, California, occupied a two-story brick building which was declared unsafe because of earthquake and fire hazard... The remodeling program called for removal of the second floor, which was an auditorium, strengthening of brick walls and modernizing the remaining one-story structure so that its architecture would be consistent with a new one-story auditorium and class room building to be erected on adjoining space.' - 'The Architect and Engineer,' July 1937, pp. 20 - 21
  • Connors State College: Administration Building - Warner OK
    A 1985 Oklahoma Landmarks Survey of WPA buildings documents a 1936 Administration Building built for Connors State College. The structure is faced with Oklahoma red sandstone as are many Oklahoma WPA projects. The survey describes the structure: "The Connor's State College Administrative Building is a single story, rectangular (45' x 116') structure constructed of cut and rusticated native sand stone randomly laid. The roof is hipped, with an intersecting central gable that is supported by an extended portion of the front facade. In this facade the principal single door entry is recessed behind an archway. There are other recessed entries at either...
  • Connors State College: Russell Hall - Warner OK
    The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (a.k.a. Public Works Administration) provided funding toward the construction of Russell Hall at Connors State College in Warner, Oklahoma. The 2-story structure houses a dormitory and is designed in Georgian Style. It is located on the east side of the Connors State campus, a two-year community school. Given the time of its construction and operation, the dormitory possibly housed some of the students receiving flight training from 1942, during WWII, with actual flying at Hatbox field about 15 miles north in southern Muskogee. Russell Hall continues to be utilized as a dormitory.
  • Consolidated School - Holly Bluff MS
    Architect Edgar Lucian Malvaney designed the Holly Bluff school building, constructed in 1939 as PWA project 1271. It was approved 7/27/1938 and construction began 10/17/1938. It was completed10/12/1939 for a total cost of $57,305 with PWA funding a grant of $25,515. Bonds were issued in the amount of $25,000 for the remainder. Perry Construction Company built the new school, Paine Heating and Tile Company provided heating and plumbing, and Fatheree Electric Company completed the wiring. The building was dedicated and opened to the public October 7, 1939 and final inspection was made later that month by the architect, school supervisors,...
  • Converse Hall (JMU) - Harrisonburg VA
    James Madison University's Converse Hall, originally known as Senior Hall, was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $106,000 grant and $41,975 loan for the project, whose total cost was $147,476. Construction occurred between Mar. 1934 and June 1935. PWA Docket No. VA 1811
  • Coolidge School - Coolidge TX
    In 1939, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) erected a school in Coolidge. However, all the remains is the plaque which is at the Coolidge City Hall/Museum. While other Limestone county schools were opening either last Monday or planned to open next Monday, the opening of the Coolidge school was being delayed awaiting the completion of the new school building. The building is expected to be completed by Oct. 1, and the school will likely open on Oct. 2. Last year after the old building had been razed and construction was underway on the new structure, classes were conducted in the abandoned C.C.C. camp...
  • Coolidge School (former) Improvements - Maynard MA
    The Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) conducted improvement work at Maynard's former Coolidge School, including the installation of smoke partitions as well as painting of the school inside and out. The Work Projects Administration (W.P.A.) conducted further work in 1941. All school buildings in the town "on the exterior have been completely renovated by having the windows weather stripped, puttied and painted. The interior... are now being repaired with W.P.A. labor by installing new celotex ceilings where needed, replacing plaster ceilings that were beyond repairs, having the hallways, classrooms washed and painted. These repairs have added consiterabl to the appearance of our...
  • Coolidge Senior High School - Washington DC
    Coolidge Senior High School in northwest Washington DC was built in 1938-40 with federal aid to the District of Columbia Education Department.   An appropriation of $350,000 was made by Congress in 1937 to the District Commissioners (the municipal government).  Since the full cost of the school building was $1,500,000, additional funds must have come from Congress, the District or the Public Works Administration (PWA).  More information is needed on this. Coolidge High School was built to relieve crowding at Theodore Roosevelt High School, on property that the District of Columbia had purchased five years before.  Some local citizens associations wanted to name the...
  • Coolidge Senior High School Recreation Center - Washington DC
    In 1942, the Washington Post reported the allocation of $27,600 to the Federal Works Agency (FWA) for new construction and/or improvements to the Coolidge Recreation Center adjacent to the new Coolidge Senior High School in the city's northwest quadrant. It is probable that the baseball field traces its origins back to the New Deal era and there are traces of former tennis courts, another common recreational elements of New Deal work. Coolidge Senior High, built 1938-40, was also New Deal project.
  • Coolidge Unified School District Building - Coolidge AZ
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) helped fund the former Coolidge Union High School, now the school district administration building. Ground was broken on April 4, 1936 and the school opened in 1939.  The project cost of $150,000 was divided between a PWA grant and local bonds. This large and handsome building is a melange of Neoclassical and Southwest Pueblo styles.  It is still probably the largest and the most elegant building in the city of Coolidge.  Ironically, the town, founded in 1925, was named after President Calvin Coolidge; it was not incorporated until 1945. The plaque by the front entrance indicates that...
  • Cooper Library Improvements - Wilmington NY
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a stone wall at, and made other improvements to, what is now known formally as the Wilmington E. M. Cooper Memorial Public Library. Google Street View imagery shows the wall present as of 2014.
  • Coos Art Museum (former Marshfield Post Office) - Coos Bay OR
    The Coos Art Museum in Coos Bay was originally constructed in 1936 as the post office for what was then Marshfield, Oregon. Marshfield changed name to Coos Bay on Feb. 15, 1945. The Coos Art Museum (CAM) acquired the building in the 1970s and after fund-raising and renovation work moved the CAM collections. Public Works Administration (PWA) Federal Project No. 324.
  • Copiah-Lincoln Community College: Athletic Field - Wesson MS
    The Works Progress Administration provided employment for workers to construct an athletic field at the Copiah-Lincoln Junior College.
  • Copiah-Lincoln Community College: Athletic Field House - Wesson MS
    The National Youth Administration (NYA) project provided work for boys to construct a brick field house to house visiting athletic teams, football lockers and showers, stock rooms and athletic offices. The one story structure was located east of the tennis courts. It is no longer extant.
  • Copiah-Lincoln Community College: Ellis Hall - Wesson MS
    Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1178 constructed the Faculty House (now used as the Girls Honor Dormitory), and the Chapel Building (now known as J. M. Ewing Administration Building), for Copiah-Lincoln Junior College, known locally as Co-Lin. A $36,000 grant toward total expenditures of $80,000 were approved 11/17/1936. Construction by the I. C. Garber and Son company began 2/15/1937. Architects for the project were Hull and Drummond. Construction was completed 10/14/1937. The Faculty House was first unit in the $80,000 building program for the college. Copiah and Lincoln Counties each appropriated $22,500 toward the cost. Members of faculty began moving in...
1 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 94