1 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 93
  • Central School - Truxton NY
    Truxton, New York’s Central School was built during the 1930s. The project’s construction was aided by federal Public Works Administration funds (PWA Docket No. NY 6488).
  • Central School - Union Springs NY
    The Central and High School in Union Springs, New York was constructed during the 1930s. The federal Public Works Administration contributed funds that enabled the project's development. PWA Docket No. NY 1233 provided a grant of $146,250 to the school district for the building's construction. The total cost of the project was $326,961. Construction on the school began March 1936 and was finished November 1937. The building has since been added to.
  • Central School (abandoned) - Mt. Upton NY
    The former Mt. Upton Central School, located on the west side of NY-8 just north of the intersection in central Mt. Upton, was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $62,000 loan and $26,757 grant for the project, whose total cost was $102,066. Construction occurred between Oct. 1934 and Nov. 1935. The school has since relocated, and this building is currently abandoned. PWA Docket No. NY 6049
  • Central School (demolished) Improvements - Rock Hill SC
    The federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) contributed to the development of Rock Hill's original North Side School. "School buildings and classroom additions went up at Central School, Northside School, Arcade-Victoria School, and Ebenezer Avenue School, with A. D. Gilchrist the architect for all these PWA projects." The former Central School has since been demolished and replaced.
  • Central School (former) - Altona NY
    Altona, New York's Central School was constructed during the 1930s with the aid of federal Public Works Administration funds (PWA Docket No. NY 1236). The building was designed by Plattsburgh architect Alvin W. Inman. The former school is now part of the Altona Correctional Facility, a medium-security institution, with the building serving as "the central administrative and school building." (Wikipedia)
  • Central School (former) - Atchison KS
    Atchison, Kansas's Central School was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $65,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $173,019. Work started in Oct. 1937 and was completed in Jul. 1938. The former school is now privately owned and slated to become an apartment complex. PWA Docket No. KS 1073
  • Central School (former) - Chestertown NY
    Chestertown, New York's Central Grade & High School was constructed during the 1930s with the assistance federal Public Works Administration funds (Docket No. NY 3629). The old Central School, on State Route 9, still stands, though its current use is unknown; a new central school has since been constructed on State Route 8.
  • Central School (former) - Vernal UT
    The Central School in Vernal was built in 1940-41 with the help of the Works Projects Administration (WPA) (by then part of the Federal Works Administration), according to  a plaque in the entrance lobby.  An older Central School was torn down to make way for this building. The design of the long, two-story building is brick Moderne, with strong horizontal lines and lovely curved section to the left of the entrance.  There is a L-shaped wing on the south side.  The windows and their openings have been radically altered (probably to deal with summer heat). The building now has "Central Education Center"...
  • Central School Auditorium and Gymnasium - Monte Vista CO
    "A 1938 project supported by the school district, town leaders and a PWA grant resulted in a building used for school and sports functions as well as an auditorium for public gatherings. It is the largest auditorium in the San Luis Valley that continues to serve in the same capacity for which it was built. It is the only Monte Vista example of the work of prominent architect Charles E. Thomas incorporating Mission, Spanish Colonial Revival, and Romanesque elements. The PWA grant provided 45 percent of the building’s cost and WPA workers were involved in some aspects of the project."
  • Central VPA High School - St. Louis MO
    This WPA school was built in 1936-1937 as the Southwest High School. It is now the Central Visual and Performing Arts High School. This school has been added onto multiple times and the front of the original building is not visible from the street. The front of the school is within an interior courtyard. 5 statues by Fred Morie representing “Youthful Leadership” were created during the original project. These statues have been moved to the front of the modern part of the building.
  • Chabot Elementary School Library Building - Oakland CA
    Anthony Chabot Elementary School was originally built as the Claremont Annex School in 1927, but it was renamed in 1930 for Anthony Chabot, an early settler in Oakland who built the first city water works by damming nearby Temescal Creek. The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded a new addition to the school in 1935 and it was built in 1936 and completed in 1937.  It was called the Assembly building at the time, but now serves as the library and is known as the Annex.  It stands on the east side of the original school; both face north. We have not found...
  • Chaffey High School and Old Junior College - Ontario CA
    The first building on this campus was opened as part of the Chaffey College of Agriculture in 1885. It became the Ontario High School in 1901 and the present Chaffey High School in 1911. In 1916, the Chaffey Junior College of Agriculture was added as a postgraduate department to the high school. The junior college maintained a presence on the campus until 1959 when it moved to its present location in Alta Loma. After the destructive Long Beach earthquake of 1933, first SERA and then the WPA were extensively involved with the construction of a number of buildings on the...
  • Chalk School Auditorium - Meridian MS
    The auditorium for Chalk School was constructed in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration. Architect Penn Jeffries Krouse designed the addition to the school. It has most recently operated as the Calvary Christian School.
  • Chandler High School Gymnasium and Improvements - Chandler AZ
    CUSD: "In 1939, a new gymnasium was constructed on the high school campus, immediately southwest of the old gymnasium. Built at a cost of $70,000, the new structure had a cafeteria at the rear, with dressing rooms for boys and girls in the basement. An April 13, 1939 article in the Chandler Arizonan touted the new building as “one of the finest in Arizona … as modern as up-to-date builders and equipment furnishers can make it.” The work was funded by a $33,000 bond issue as well as a $27,000 federal grant from the Public Works Administration. The original gymnasium...
  • Chapman Elementary School - Chapman KS
    "Building has ahslar quarry-faced limestone walls laid in a random range. Dressed stone details include beltcourses and arched entry surround. The symmetrical facade has a 9-bay central block. At its center the castellated entry surround projects slightly from the building wall. Four-bay wings project in front of the central block. Modern 4/4 metal windows fill the original openings. A later gymnasium addition behind the original school has large blank walls...Damaged by tornado spring/summer 2008. Additions to school in 1952, 1959 and 1984. Original windows replaced recently. This school was constructed as an elementary and middle school in 1935. Construction of...
  • Charity Hospital (derelict) - New Orleans LA
    Charity Hospital was constructed between 1936 and 1940 in central New Orleans, about a mile north of the downtown by today's Interstate 10.   Charity Hospital was one of two teaching hospitals which were part of the Medical Center of Louisiana at New Orleans. For decades it served one of the country's largest populations of uninsured citizens. At the time it was built, Charity Hospital was the second-largest hospital in the United States. The cornerstone lists the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (later called the Public Works Administration) as the building funder. The architects were Weiss, Dreyfous & Seiferth, who were also...
  • Charity Hospital Improvements - Natchez MS
    A $15,000 improvement project was allotted for Natchez Charity hospital, the oldest charity hospital in Mississippi, for main building and nurses’ home. The hospital was constructed 1849-1852, 3.5 stories, and was destroyed by fire in 1984. It became the Natchez Charity Hospital in 1890s.
  • Charity Hospital Improvements - Vicksburg MS
    $4,600 project was allotted for Vicksburg Charities hospital for main building and nurses’ home renovations in 1934. The building that began as the city hospital in the 1840s because a state institution around 1871, operated from a former plantation mansion. It closed in 1989 following numerous renovations/alterations. It was demolished February 2019.
  • Charles A. Lindbergh State Park: Lindbergh House - Little Falls MN
    According to the Minnesota Historical Society: “By the 1930s, the boyhood home of famous aviator Charles A. Lindbergh had been badly damaged by souvenir-hunters. In 1936, the WPA began restoration of the house, which, along with the adjoining farmland, had been given to the state of Minnesota by the Lindberghs. Today, the homesite is a National Historic Landmark managed by the Minnesota Historical Society.” The WPA also put in two miles of footpaths, planted 4,000 trees and bushes, and built parking lots and other amenities on the Lindbergh property, creating what is now a state park.
  • Charles A. Pike Juvenile Center Addition - Lisbon OH
    The Public Works Administration contributed $35,000 for the construction of a new auditorium and gymnasium for David Anderson High School. Ground was broken for the project on December 9th 1937 and the structure was dedicated on October 3rd 1938. The total cost of the project was $70,000. The general construction contract went to the George H. Whike Construction Company of Canton Ohio. The building has since been renamed and currently serves as a juvenile court.
  • Charles E. Nash Elementary School Landscapeing - Fort Worth TX
    Charles E. Nash Elementary School was originally constructed in 1927 and received a small addition in 1936. It's likely that the addition was completed as the result of New Deal funding, but that has not been verified. It has been verified that the grounds were landscaped through the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Among the improvements were these terraces and stairs on the north side of the grounds constructed circa 1936. The improvements were designed by Hare & Hare of Kansas City, Mo.
  • Charles H. Lee Elementary School - Azusa CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved the Charles H. Lee Elementary School building(s) and graded/leveled the grounds.
  • Charlotte Elementary School - Charlotte AR
    "During the Great Depression, the old wooden building used by the academy was replaced in 1936 with one made of sandstone built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). While this school was being constructed, school was held in the Methodist church building behind what was then Weaver’s Store. The WPA building is in use today by the school district, with the Bayou Dota Masonic Lodge No. 126 holding its meetings upstairs. In 1952, the Charlotte and Cord schools merged to form the Cord-Charlotte School District. In 2004, Cord-Charlotte consolidated with the Newark school district to create the Cedar Ridge School...
  • Charlotte Hyatt Elementary School - Moss Point MS
    Moss Point, Mississippi's Charlotte Hyatt Elementary School was constructed during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal funds. The "one-story building with brick and white mortar, cast stone, seven classrooms, an auditorium, a clinic room, an office and a boiler room" (Watson, nd) began construction after approval of Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. Moss Point issued $40,000 in school bonds and PWA provided the remainder of funds.
  • Charlotte Valley Central School - Davenport NY
    The Charlotte Valley Central School in Davenport, New York was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $94,091 grant for the project, whose total cost was $200,180. Construction was completed in Nov. 1939. PWA Docket No. NY 1776
  • Charter Oak School Improvements - West Hartford CT
    In 1933/4 the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) furnished the labor for redecoration / painting full interior of what was then known as the "south Center School." Living New Deal believes this to be the building now known as Charter Oak Elementary School.
  • Chatsworth Park Elementary School Urban Planning/Community Development Magnet - Chatsworth CA
    Chatsworth Park Elementary School Urban Planning/Community Development Magnet, which opened in 1915, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of...
  • Checotah High School - Checotah OK
    Built by the WPA in 1939.
  • Chehalem Cultural Center (Central School) - Newberg OR
    As indicated by the Newberg Area Historical Society marker on site, a $15,000 Public Works Administration (PWA) grant allowed the Newberg School District to secure a $35,000 bond to build this brick building, occupied currently by the Chehalem Cultural Center. The New Deal era Central School (1935) replaced a wooden school building at the same location that dated from 1889. As early as 1933, the structure was declared a fire hazard. Newberg voters approved raising funds for the new school in 1934 with the necessary bond secured by the PWA grant. H. J. Settergren, a Portland area contractor, built the new Central...
  • Chelsea Health Center - New York NY
    The neighborhood news source "Our Town" reports that in Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia's speech at the dedication of the Chelsea Health Center on July 14, 1937, he "...insisted that he shouldn’t be praised for building the center – it was President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal...that made it possible." In 1934 the Mayor announced plans to build eight district health centers. The Chelsea clinic was the third of these Depression-era clinics to be built. The Mayor filed the plans for the Chelsea clinic in 1935. The plans were for the construction of a "... a three-story clinic on 9th Avenue and 27th Street,...
  • Chemawa Middle School Rex Brandt Murals - Riverside CA
    Rex Brandt was commissioned by the PWAP to paint five murals for Chemawa Junior High School in Riverside, CA. At the time, Brandt was a student at Riverside Community College. When the school was remodeled in 1973, the murals were presumed lost. However, four of the five have happily since been found. Two now hang in the refurbished school, and two are in storage at the Riverside Art Museum. The Riverside Unified School District is still hoping to find the fifth. An attempt to have the murals restored is also currently underway. "The panels in storage are 48 inches by 60 inches...
  • Chepachet School (former) - Glocester RI
    A small brick school building, built to replace a wooden school on the same site. It was designed by Albert Harkness of Providence, who also designed the Harmony School at the same time. The school replaced five one-room schools in the town. It is today the Glocester Town Hall.
  • Cherry Grove School (former) - Quapaw OK
    Just south of I-44 in the northeast corner of Oklahoma lies a historic 1936 school building built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). "This one-room, rectangular (23' x 45') structure is made of uncut native stone." The building is now privately owned. Remarkably, Google Street View imagery from I-44 shows the building to be extant as of 2017, even given that there is no exit to S 680 Rd., on which the structure resides, from the interstate.
  • Cherryville School (former) - Cherryville MO
    The Cherryville, MO school project is on the east side of route 19, just north of route 49. The school and gymnasium were more recently built, with funds and labor provided by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The school is no longer in service.
  • Chesapeake City Elementary School - Chesapeake City MD
    Contracts for the construction of two high schools in Cecil County (Cecilton and Chesapeake City) were awarded to to Lang Brothers of Baltimore by the PWA in December 1938.  The $134,800 contract for the Chesapeake City high school called for "a two-story and part basement , designed to take care of 490 pupils." According to The Cecil Democrat, the contract called for "modern heating, plumbing, and electrical work." The facilities were as follows: Basement: A cafeteria, kitchen, boiler room, fuel storage and engineer's room, and industrial arts rooms. First floor: Six classrooms, a teacher room, doctor's office, an auditorium with stage and dressing...
  • Chestnut Hill School (former) Improvements - Millville MA
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) and Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) funded the labor for and materials for improvements to the former Chestnut City School building in Millville, Massachusetts. Improvements included painting, for which the federal government also paid for the project's materials; and filling, grading, and drainage work to the grounds. Living New Deal believes this to be what was known as Millville's Little Red Schoolhouse, a building on Chestnut Hill Road that is now a private residence. Its exact location is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Chevalier Theatre - Medford MA
    "The Chevalier Theatre was built in 1939 by the Works Progress Administration as part of the Medford High School complex."
  • Cheyenne River School (former) Improvements - Niobrara County WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted improvement and repair work at the former Cheyenne River School building in Niobrara County, Wyoming in 1933/4: "t also needs to be remembered that the schools were not just schools. At the Cheyenne River School (and elsewhere too), the justification was plain: “this school house, in addition to being an institution of learning is used as a meeting hall by all people of that part of the county. It is badly in need of the outlined repairs.”" Sources suggest that the former school building is still extant, about 23 miles south of Newcastle, Wyoming, at...
  • Chickasha Junior High School Gym/Auditorium - Chickasha OK
    "The Chickasha Junior High School building currently houses the Middle School. The gymnasium/auditorium so closely matches the architecture of the main school building that it appears to be a single construction project, however, research has only found reference to the gym/auditorium as being a WPA project. The aerial photo in the gallery shows the auditorium at the bottom, and the gymnasium above it, in the center of this block-square school campus. The auditorium is constructed of tan brick and has a curved entrance with the word "AUDITORIUM" cast in stone at the top. A set of four 8-pane windows are on...
  • Childress County Heritage Museum - Childress TX
    The historic Childress County Heritage Museum was originally constructed as the Childress post office in 1935.
1 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 93