1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • Gymnasium - Elizabethtown NC
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a gymnasium in Elizabethtown, North Carolina in 1939-40. Living New Deal believes this to be the facility on King Street that now houses the Bladen County Recreation Department.
  • Gymnasium - Farmhaven MS
    The National Youth Administration project #872 completed demolition and salvage of the Farmhaven gymnasium and built a new gymnasium. The project employed 30 youth at a cost of $1,080.
  • Gymnasium - Hamilton TX
    The Works Progress Administration built a gymnasium with native stone walls on a concrete foundation in Hamilton, Texas between 1939 and 1940. The official project number was 65-1-66-140.
  • Gymnasium - Hennessey OK
    This gymnasium was constructed in 1941-2 by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). It is a one-story red brick building on South Main (Highway 81). The Hennessey grade school was attached to this gymnasium on the north side, but has been torn down. The wall of the old classroom building has the cornerstone showing 1941, and above that is mounted a bronze WPA shield showing 1941-2. More information is needed to determine whether or not this gymnasium is being used today.
  • Gymnasium - Henry NE
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a gymnasium in Henry, Nebraska. The location and status of the structure are presently unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Gymnasium - Hico TX
    The Works Progress Administration built a two room combination gymnasium, auditorium and school with cut stone masonry walls on a concrete foundation in Hico, Texas between 19398 and 1939. The official project number was 65-1-66-93.
  • Gymnasium - Hugo CO
    The Works Progress Administration built a gymnasium in Hugo, CO, Lincoln County. The modernist, reinforced concrete and adobe structure cost $33,452. The gymnasium was adobe construction with two inch concrete panels on the exterior. The balcony seating capacity was 1500 seats. The building was also used for public gatherings.
  • Gymnasium - Jeffersonville GA
    A photograph on the website "Vanishing Georgia" identifies the building along the south side of Church Street at Library Street in Jeffersonville, Georgia to be a gymnasium constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). As of 2022 the building does not appear to be in use.
  • Gymnasium - Kingston MS
    Details were completed in August 1936 for construction of a modern gymnasium for the Kingston High School in Adams County. The building was concrete blocks and 70 feet x 120 feet, constructed by the Works Progress Administration. Kingston was a rural community in the Natchez vicinity, and "badly in need of gymnasiums" (Gymnasium work, 1936, p. 2). The new gymnasium constructed by a WPA crew was "strictly modern and up-to-date" (Gymnasium work, p. 2). The school burned October 2016 and no buildings are extant.
  • Gymnasium - Luling TX
    The Works Progress Administration built a gymnasium in Luling, Texas in 1937.
  • Gymnasium - Muleshoe TX
    A gymnasium construction project in Muleshoe, Texas was undertaken in 1938 with Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. provided a $10,314 grant for the project, whose total cost was $22,919. The exact location and status of the facility is presently unknown to Living New Deal. P.W.A. Docket No. TX 1708
  • Gymnasium - Pettus TX
    A plaque on the gymnasium at the Pettus Texas school complex indicates the Works Progress Administration constructed the building between 1938 and 1940. No other details on the original construction have been found. A bond package in 2015 included funds to renovate the gymnasium.
  • Gymnasium - Pflugerville TX
    The Pflugerville Gym, which was built for $17,000 in 1934 through the Works Progress Administration, has a rocky interior and exterior of limestone. The “Rock Gym,”as it is called, served as the only high school volleyball and basketball gym in the Pflugerville area for many years. It received a Texas Historical Marker in October 2012 and remains utilized by the Pflugerville Independent School District.
  • Gymnasium - Shelby MS
    This two-story gym, Miss. Proj. 1144D, was constructed by the PWA in 1939. The gym remains in use.
  • Gymnasium - Sitka AK
    Peter Kostrometinoff was the supervisor of construction for the new Sitka gymnasium and Ross Gridley was the state Public Works Administration (PWA) inspector engineer for project W1004. The community was awarded a $12,500 grant towards the $27,000 cost approved 10/20/1936. Construction began 2/25/1937 and was completed 9/2/1937 for a total cost of $29,179. Peterman Construction Company of Juneau won the contract for the new gymnasium with a bid of $28,200. The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported Sitka also received a loan of $14,850 toward the gymnasium, but that does not appear in the official PWA report. The current status and exact...
  • Gymnasium - Tunica MS
    L. L. Burnsed, supervisor for project, announced the new Tunica High School gymnasium would begin construction in November 1940. Tunica County issues bonds for $35,000 and the Works Progress Administration allotted funds for the remainder of the cost. Constructed of concrete with brick veneer, the gymnasium cost $46,000. Hull and Drummond were architects for the one story, brick Classical Revival building with a pedimented tetrastyle portico.
  • Gymnasium - Tutwiler MS
    Works Project Administration project No. 50,348 was approved to construct a gymnasium for the Tutwiler school. The first news item reported $20,690, scheduled to begin May 12, 1940 and employ an average of 60 workers for six months. The announcement releasing the funds following approval showed $10, 768. The Art Moderne concrete gymnasium served 196 students when constructed. When the Tutwiler school closed, the gymnasium was bought by the Baptist Church. It was demolished in January 2018 when the church could no longer afford the upkeep.
  • Gymnasium - Two Buttes CO
    "Two Buttes Gymnasium, constructed between 1935 and 1937 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), is significant under the New Deal Resources on Colorado's Eastern Plains Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF).  The gymnasium is significant in the area of Social History for its association with President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal legislative agenda to rescue the United States from the Great Depression.  Additionally, it is significant for Education and Entertainment/ Recreation.  This community building is a good example of the efforts of the WPA to boost morale during the Depression through the construction of buildings for the enjoyment of the entire community. ...
  • Gymnasium - Tylertown MS
    The WPA project for the gymnasium/band building for Tylertown High School was approved January 1939 and construction began in February. The monolithic concrete gym was proposed for 120 x 110 feet, with a playing floor of 80 x 50. Each side held bleachers with locker and dressing rooms underneath. The band room was proposed for 40 x 22 and could be converted into a stage by removal of a partition. The use as an auditorium would enable capacity for about two thousand people.
  • Gymnasium - Washington AR
    After the county seat was moved from Washington, Arkansas to Hope, Arkansas, the Washington Public School moved into the empty 1874 Hempstead County Courthouse in Washington. With assistance from the Works Progress Administration, a gym was erected next door in 1940 to serve the school. The gym currently is used as an event venue for public functions.
  • Gymnasium - Washington MS
    Details were completed for construction of a modern gymnasium building at Washington High School. It was constructed of concrete blocks, with a size of 70 feet x 120 feet. It was constructed under the Works Progress Administration with a "large crew of workmen given employment" and were billed as "strictly modern and up-to-date" (Gymnasium work, 1936, p. 2). At completion, a "gala celebration" was planned. The gymnasium was slated for completion for the fall start of school. The school is still extant, but the gymnasium appears in maps to have been demolished.
  • Gymnasium (destroyed) - Coxburg MS
    The Coxburg community gymnasium was constructed 1936 by the National Youth Administration. The structure cost approximately $5,000 and was 80 x 100 feet. The gym was destroyed in 1952.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Como MS
    The Como gymnasium, recreation hall, two classrooms, and kitchen were PWA project W1256, approved June 22, 1938. The estimated cost was $22,727 and a $10,227 grant was awarded toward the project. Construction began August 25, 1938, and was completed February 2, 1939, at a final cost of $22,887. Architect was Edgar Lucien Malvaney.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Cross Roads MS
    The Emergency Relief Association funded the construction of a gymnasium for the Cross Roads School and it was under construction in February 1935. The gymnasium is still extant and is used as the Family Life Center by the Cross Roads Baptist Church.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Meridian MS
    The two-story red-brick former gymnasium was constructed by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (later the PWA) in 1936-1937. It retains its original massing and pedimented parapet. It was renovated in 1964 to become a first floor library and second floor science laboratories/classroom space.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Newark AR
    With the consolidation of the numerous one-room school houses into a central facility, the Works Progress Administration helped construct a gymnasium for the school district. "WPA Project No. 265-1-63-83, $26,321, Total funds $47,163, Application date 12-12-41, Average Employed 48. "Construct a school gymnasium building and perform work incidental and appurtenant thereto. Publicly owned property. Sponsor: Newark School District #33." A new facility was constructed in 1984 and Newarks school district was consolidated into the Cord-Charlotte School District to create the Cedar Ridge School District in 2004.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Pelahatchie MS
    The Art Moderne gymnasium designed by architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town was completed June 19, 1939. The project was approved as PWA x1310 9/13/1938 for a $15,000 loan and $12,272 grant. Construction began 11/30/1938 and completed for a total cost of $27,500. The building is in use by private enterprise.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Portia AR
    This local gymnasium was built by the WPA in 1936. It was destroyed by fire in 1972.
  • Gymnasium (TWU; demolished) - Denton TX
    The former Texas Woman's University gymnasium was constructed with the assistance of Work Projects Administration (W.P.A.) funds and labor. Located at the northwest former of N. Bell Ave. and Administration Dr., the W.P.A. contributed $40,000 toward the project.
  • Gymnasium-Auditorium - Carson MS
    The Art Deco structure was completed in summer of 1936 and opened for the school year Sep. 7, 1936. The opening program was held in the newly completed building. “With its additional school rooms as well as its splendid gymnasium and auditorium, it will add much to the efficiency with which the school program can be carried on this year and the years to come” (Carson School slates opening, 1936, p. 9). The gymnasium was PWA project W1013, approved 9/25/1935. Construction started 12/26/1935, and completed 7/8/1936 for a total cost of $27,235. Fire destroyed the unused structure in March 2019.
  • Gymnasium, Athletic Field, and Swimming Pool - Fernwood MS
    The Public Works Administration (project W1154) constructed the gymnasium, athletic field, and swimming pool for the Fernwood school. The project was approved on 11/14/1935 with a loan of $16,000 and grant of $13,090. Bids were advertised in November for the gymnasium construction, swimming pool and bath house, "to be constructed under the old PWA plan" (p.1). Contract was awarded 12/16/1935 and construction began 1/22/1936. The project was completed 9/25/1937.
  • Hampton Auditorium - Hampton NE
    In September of 1938 the citizens of Hampton, Nebraska went to the polls to decide if the Village should transfer $6,000 from the electric light fund and borrow another $7000 for the purpose of building an Auditorium. Those funds were to be matched at 30% by funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The issue carried by what the Aurora Republican Register called “a small margin.” In fact the vote of 111 to 61 represented a winning margin of 64.5%. In February of 1939 bids were let for the project. Local builders Bamesberger and Parpart were granted the general construction contract...
  • Harkins Hall - Uniontown KY
    The Works Progress Administration built Harkins Hall in Uniontown KY in 1938. The building served as a Gymnasium/Community Hall. The  structure was built on a concrete base to withstand flooding after the town had experienced recurrent flooding events. 
  • Hartgrove Gymnasium - Millersview TX
    Between 1938 and 1939 the Works Progress Administration built a combination auditorium and gymnasium in Millersview, Texas under official project number 665-66-2-352. The building had a concrete foundation and buttresses with stone walls and brick trim.
  • Hawkins School Gymnasium - Hattiesburg MS
    The former Hattiesburg High School gymnasium was constructed 1936-1937 on Forrest Street. The two-story brick building in an Art Deco style was designed by architect Juan G. Landry, with construction superintendent Ed Carley and Oden and Glenn local contractors. Construction began the first week in April 1936 for the $30,000 building. It was 176'5" by 117'4", with two practice courts and one exhibition court. Bleachers accommodated 1500, and when converted to an auditorium, held 3500. In addition to stage, dressing rooms, locker rooms, it also contained a lobby with ticket office and refreshment stand. It featured large main doors and...
  • Henderson Gymnasium - Shippensburg PA
    Shippensburg University's Henderson Gymnasium—originally known as Alumni Gymnasium and later Jessie S. Heiges Gymnasium—was constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project in 1938.
  • High School - Cranfills Gap TX
    The Works Progress Administration built a High School in Cranfills Gap in 1939. The school had five rooms and a combination gym-auditorium. The structure had a concrete foundation, cut stone masonry walls, wood floors, metal roof, and ground improvements.
  • High School (former) - Greybull WY
    A former school building in Greybull, Wyoming was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The PWA supplied a $85,909 grant for the project, whose total cost was $196,762. Construction occurred between Nov. 1936 and Feb. 1938. The exact location and status of the facility is unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. WY 1049
  • High School (former) Addition - Buffalo WY
    The former high school in Buffalo, Wyoming received an addition as part of a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. Construction was completed in 1936. The location and present status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. WY 1008-R
  • High School (former) Auditorium / Gymnasium - Easton KS
    Easton, Kansas's 1920 Rural High School building received an addition of an auditorium / gymnasium as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA provided an $11,045 grant for the project, whose total cost was $24,612. Construction started in Oct. 1938 and was completed in Feb. 1939. As of 2023 the property is privately owned. PWA Docket No. Kan. 1372.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7