• Arizona State University: Irish Hall - Tempe AZ
    In 1940, the Works Program Administration (WPA) constructed the dormitory complex called Irish Hall on the south side of the campus of what was then the Arizona State Normal School, now Arizona State University. Irish Hall consists of three separate wings (A, B & C buildings) around a courtyard. The buildings are plain, two-story Moderne style structures with horizontal streamlining and metal frame windows.  They still function as dormitories (which means that today access is closed to the public). There is a WPA plaque in the entrance way.
  • Delzell Hall - Peru NE
    W.L. Delzell Hall, a men's dormitory at Peru State College in Peru, Nebraska was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project in 1939.
  • Florida State Hospital: Landis Hall - Chattahoochee FL
    Landis Hall was completed in 1938 as a 202-room dormitory for student nurses and other employees working at the Florida State Hospital in Chattahoochee, Florida. It replaced the old nurses home which was destroyed in February 1937. The construction contract was financed in part by the PWA and awarded to Batson and Cook of West Point, Georgia. The building was named for the late Florida Attorney-General, Cary D. Landis. PWA Docket No. Fla 1372-DS.
  • Howard University: Cook Hall - Washington DC
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided $120,000 for two wings of a men's dormitory at Howard University, presently called George Cook Hall.  The full cost of the project is unknown to us, but it appears that the two wings loom over a small central part of the complex -- which may well have been built as part of the first PWA grant for four buildings on campus.  This implies that the PWA funded the construction of Cook Hall. Cook Hall was built c. 1938.  The central portion is more Georgian in style, while the wings are very high modern: geometric, undecorated...
  • Kansas School for the Deaf: Dormitory - Olathe KS
    Still an integral part of the Kansas School for the Deaf campus, this building, originally built as a dormitory, was constructed as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The core of the building is now known as the Stanley D. Roth Administration Building, and is flanked by residences on either side. Based on a 2023 visit, the building bears no cornerstone or PWA plaque. It is across the street from the Museum of Deaf History, Arts and Culture. Short and Stanley-Brown: This new dormitory for the State School for the Deaf replaces old buildings constructed more than 60 years ago which were...
  • Northern Arizona University: North Hall - Flagstaff AZ
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) gave the Arizona State Teachers College a grant of $105,000 and a loan of $313,000 to build housing on the campus – today's Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff.  These were North Hall, expansion of Taylor Hall and Cottage City. North Hall was constructed in 1935 as a women's dormitory at what was then the Arizona State Teachers' College.  It completed the "Women's Quadragle" at the north end of the college, at a time when most students at the college were women seeking careers as school teachers. The architecture of North Hall is brick Neoclassical, or Georgian, which...
  • Northern Arizona University: Taylor Hall Expansion and Renovation - Flagstaff AZ
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) gave the Arizona State Teachers College a grant of $105,000 and a loan of $313,000 to build housing on the campus – today's Northern Arizona University (NAU) in Flagstaff.  These were North Hall, expansion of Taylor Hall and Cottage City. Taylor Hall had been built in 1905 as a girls' dormitory and switched to men in 1908.  An earlier expansion had added a north wing to the original building (the date of the photograph in NAU library is given as 1937, but that's not possible given the car and clothing in the scene). The New Deal expansion...
  • Shelter - Vernon IN
    The National Youth Administration built a shelter next to the former Vernon High School, now a community building. It was probably a shelter for a water pump (now removed) at the Vernon School playground.  
  • Sul Ross State University - Alpine TX
    The campus of Sul Ross State University was greatly developed during the 1930s as a result of efforts on the part of several New Deal agencies, including the Public Works Administration (PWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). Per the El Paso Herald-Post: A modern state institution of higher learning in the far-western "Big Bend of Texas,” Sul Ross State College faces its 20th anniversary in 1940 with a college plant and campus of first rank among state educational centers Opening of a new $150,000 PWA dormitory for women this year has brought...
  • Sul Ross State University: Men's Dormitory and Band Home (demolished) - Alpine TX
    A men's dormitory was one of multiple residence projects constructed at Sul Ross State University as a result of New Deal efforts by way of the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA supplied a $36,000 loan and $15,886 grant for the project, whose total cost was $57,406. Construction began in May and ended in December 1935, though the dormitory opened in 1936. Per the El Paso Herald-Post: Men students in Sul Ross are provided with modern housing accommodations in the men’s residence hall completed as a PWA project in 1936 at a cost of $68,000. Like most of the buildings on the...
  • Sul Ross State University: Rock Cottages (demolished) - Alpine TX
    A series of 14 stone cottages, later known as the "rock cottages," was among the multiple residence projects constructed at Sul Ross State University as a result of New Deal efforts by way of the Public Works Administration (PWA). The cottages were built as part of a larger men's dormitory project that was the construction of a larger dormitory and band home. PWA supplied a $36,000 loan and $15,886 grant for the project, whose total cost was $57,406. Construction began in May and ended in December 1935. PWA Docket No. TX 5605. Per the El Paso Herald-Post: Built as a part of...