The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted an improvement project at Knoxville National Cemetery, providing work for about 35 laborers.
“June, 1936, city water was taken to the cemetery, W.P.A. Labor laying the pipes, 8 3/4″ freezeless hydrants were placed. Two rows of trees were planted from the highway to the cemetery gates …”
The work relief division of the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration (PRRA) conducted “extensive repairs to the patio” of La Fortaleza, the 16th Century governor’s mansion in San Juan, capitol of the territory of Puerto Rico, ca. 1937. In 1940-1 the… read more
Now part of the Adult Enrichment Center run by the city of La Mesa, this self-designated “clubhouse” was built by the WPA in 1937.
It is generally believed that General Martin Perfecto de Cos, a brother-in-law of Mexico’s President Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, surrendered to the Texan commander, General Edward Burleson, after the five-day Siege of Bexar in December 1835 at the Villita… read more
The addition to the existing 1849 courthouse was accomplished with an almost seamless continuation of the style of the original. The dental work below the eaves and over-all style was duplicated. This was important to the townspeople because of its… read more
Lafitte project was constructed 1940-1941 and included 896 units. It was the fifth of six local housing units constructed in New Orleans following the Housing Act of 1937. The project was bounded by Lafitte Avenue, Orleans Avenue, North Claiborne and… read more
“Built in the 1920s, the renovated hospital campus contains more than a hundred contemporary and historical public artworks. The entryway to the main building displays five murals by WPA [Works Progress Administration] artist Glen Wessels. The WPA inspired three contemporary… read more
"There were nine PWA-financed courthouses constructed in South Dakota during the Depression era. Although designs were not standardized, most were three or four story buildings designed in variations of the Moderne styles. Building materials and finishes included brick, stone, concrete,… read more
The original 1905 courthouse, a wood frame Victorian, was renovated in 1936. J. H. McGuire and Company added a brick veneer, removed the Victorian tower, and replaced it with a 2-story Classical Revival style portico. In addition, rooms were added… read more
“One of the most conspicuous reminders of the CCC program located along any state highway in Oregon is the Lake of the Woods Work Center. Situated about 30 miles northwest of Klamath Falls on OR-140, these structures were built from… read more
Jayne M. D’Onofrio: “In 1939, Wakefield Selectmen voted to ask the Special Town Meeting to build a bath house on Spaulding Street at Lake Quannapowitt, as well as other recreation projects… The building would not be made of brick as… read more
In 1934 the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Lake Administration (FERA) constructed a dam to impound a recreational lake: Lake Tomahawk, in Black Mountain, North Carolina, as well as a community building and boathouse at its shore. The… read more
The Alley Dwelling Authority (ADA) funded the construction of a community building for the Langston Terrace Dwellings and surrounding area, ca. 1935-1940. The ADA was one of the earliest New Deal initiatives to provide better housing for low-income Americans. It… read more
The Langston Terrace Dwellings, a large-scale public housing project, was built under the New Deal from 1935 to 1938. It was the first U.S. Government-funded public housing project in Washington DC and only the second in the nation. Initial funding… read more
The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) sponsored additions to multiple school buildings in Laramie, Wyoming, including to the former East Side School, now the Laramie Plains Civic Center. The building also houses examples of New Deal art.
The Works Progress Administration built the Latimer County Courthouse in Wilburton. Contributor note: “The Latimer County Courthouse is located at the intersection of N. Central and W. Ada. This is a beautiful two-story rock building that is painted a cream… read more
Architects P. J. Krouse and L. L. Brasfield substantially redesigned the historic Lauderdale County courthouse, a 1905 Beaux Arts building originally designed by Krouse, and “transformed into an Art Deco structure” (Ford, 2004). The traditional features, including a dome, cupola,… read more
Ripley, Tennessee’s historic Lauderdale County Courthouse was constructed during the Great Depression with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The buff-colored Moderne courthouse was the fourth constructed for Lauderdale County, and the first of their PWA courthouses for architects Marr… read more
This free-standing brick façade laundry facility was completed in 1940 by the Public Works Administration to service the St. Louis City Hospital complex including the City Hospital, Malcolm Bliss Psychopathologic Institute, and clinic. It is a red brick building in… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) undertook improvement work at the Laurel County Courthouse in London, Kentucky: “Wiring, Painting, Roofing, Stairways, Flooring, and Window Repairs,” in addition to “Extensive General Repairs and Painting.”
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor developed Laurel Hill Cemetery. WPA Bulletin, 1937: Eventual income of $450,000 to be derived from the sale of burial lots, will benefit this city when WPA work projects on Forest Hill and Laurel cemeteries are… read more
The Town Offices of Laurel, Delaware, were constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $14,122 grant toward the $37,246 project. Construction on the project began December 1936 and was completed July 1937…. read more
Located in the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood, downriver from the French Quarter, Lautenschlaeger Market was constructed in 1901 as a public open air market. In the late 1930s, the City of New Orleans owned 19 public markets, many of which had… read more