The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was present in Death Valley National Monument from 1933 to 1942. CCC ‘boys’ built erected dozens of buildings in the monument, including administrative, residential, maintenance and visitor facilities. One important building is the Emigrant Junction… read more
Emporia, Virginia’s historic National Guard armory building was constructed with federal funds and labor. The building, presently owned by Greensville County, also served as a school gymnasium. It has housed operations for the local chapter of the Boys & Girls… read more
The historic Erie County Courthouse building in Sandusky, Ohio was extensively renovated with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds between 1936 and 1939. [Note: Some sources mis-attribute the work to the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.).] The P.W.A. allotted $141,095 for… read more
Originally the Erie County Jail, the Erie County Sheriff’s Office in Buffalo, New York was constructed with federal Public Works Administration funds (Docket No. 1282-D). Construction began February 1937 and the building was completed in 1938. According to a local… read more
The Works Progress Administration worked to beautify Cleveland’s Erie Street Cemetery during the Great Depression. The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History: “Complaints of neglect inspired WPA action, including erecting a fence fashioned from the demolished Superior Ave. viaduct’s sandstone. In 1940… read more
New York’s 15,000 square foot Essex Street Market, located along the east side of Essex Street between Rivington and Delancey Streets, was constructed with the assistance of the Work Projects Administration (WPA). The market opened in 1940. It was “one of… read more
This 1940 oil on canvas “Autumn Wisconsin Landscape” by Ethel Spears was originally painted for the Hartford post office. It is now located in the Schauer Arts & Activities Center.
Architectural firm Bonsack and Pearce designed this building which was completed in 1934 by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The building originally served as the Eureka High School. At present, it continues to serve the community as headquarters… read more
"A 1935 WPA project, the massive Eureka Muni is an example of the Art Deco style. Fluted piers separate the extrance bays between the heavy fluted corners. The section is embellished with abstracted, two-dimensional ornament typical of the style. At… read more
Portland’s “Evergreen Cemetery” was improved by the WPA: “In 1936, the Public Works and Park Departments received $86,875 in WPA funds for engineering, supervision, a portion of the wages of skilled labor, equipment hire, and some materials. The Park Department… read more
The F. Edward Hebert Federal Building was built from 1935 to 1939 and is still in use. At the time it was built, the Treasury Department was responsible for all federal buildings. Formerly home to the New Orleans Main Post… read more
Among the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects identified as completed in a Abilene Daily Reporter article from June 14, 1936 was “Repairs on a girls’ dormitory and finishing of an auditorium and recreation building [in] Ranger, at a total cost… read more
The Skowhegan State Fair is “The Nations Oldest Consecutively Running Agricultural Fair” Celebrating 197 Years. During the Great Depression, various public works projects were initiated in town, including the construction of a grandstand for the racetrack. According to the Independent… read more
In 1935-36 the WPA worked on reconstruction and renovation of the historic 1794 Fairfield Town Hall building, including the addition of wings to both sides of building; basement improvements and utility upgrades; a new cupola to replace an older cupola… read more
Bellingham, Washington’s old historic Fairhaven Hotel occupied the northeast corner of 12th Street and Harris Ave. “A new use for a famous old landmark in Bellingham hes been found with a recently approved Works Progress Administration project designed to convert… read more
This red brick post office building was built in 1936 as Philadelphia’s Fairmount Station post office, and is now the Fairmount carrier annex.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the no-longer-extant Family Court… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve what is now the Fargo VA Medical Center in Fargo, North Dakota during the 1930s. One project was described by the WPA in its project rolls: “[G]rading; reconstructing roads; sidewalks; installing sewers;… read more
From contributor Charles Swaney: “This single story elementary school with 2-story gymnasium was constructed with local bluestone as were 2 other schools constructed at the same time. The date of construction is well seen above the entry. Currently, the school… read more
The historic Elk City, Oklahoma Federal Building / post office was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building was completed in 1936 and now houses the Elk City Board of Education.
The Federal Building in Grand Island, NE underwent an extension during the early era of the New Deal. “Supervising Architect of the Treasury James Knox Taylor designed the new post office and federal building in Grand Island, authorizing the final… read more