“The Los Angeles area has the nation’s second-largest concentration of WPA art, after New York City. This postal branch is graced by a two-panel mural saluting the city’s most famous industries–filmmaking and aeronautics. Titled “People of Burbank,” the 1940 work… read more
The historic Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Station post office in Milwaukee, Wisconsin was constructed in 1938 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is still in service.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) put men to work beginning in 1935 on an improvement project at the city-owned Dubois Avenue Yard. A $125,473 project involved the construction of two extensions to garage buildings at the then-Highway Department facility: one… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration undertook a $93,900 project starting in 1935 to modernize and otherwise improve several public (now-former) bath facilities in Brooklyn, NY. The public baths at 42 Duffield Street were constructed in 1905; the building has since been… read more
The WPA constructed this two story brick-faced courthouse in 1939. It features rock accents and columns on the front façade, and multi-colored abstract decorative tiles adorn the entryways and windows. From the University of Missouri Extension Department of Community Development:… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a shop building, incinerator plant, and remodeled the bus stop at Durham High School. It appears that the shop building still stands, if considerably altered. There is no sign of the incinerator and the… read more
Built in 1936, Durkeeville was once public housing — the second public housing project built in Florida under the federal Public Works Administration. This was listed as 239 living units, one and two story group houses, costing $1,000,000. Durkeeville was… read more
Constructed in 1935-1936, the Community Center #1 (later renamed the Earl Bell Community Center) was a civil building in Jonesboro. Jonesboro architect, Elmer A. Stuck, designed the building that cost $100,000 (of which $45,000 came from the Public Works Administration,… read more
The East Bay Regional Parks District (EBRPD) was formed in 1934 and acquired land for parks from the East Bay Municipal Water District in 1936. The first parks were Tilden, Sibley, Temescal and Redwood in the East Bay Hills behind… read more
The courthouse was undertaken in Lake Providence, Louisiana during the Great Depression with the assistance of funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The building was erected for a cost of $100, 589 (Leighninger, 2007).
Then constructed as the East Harlem Health and Teaching Center, what is now known as the East Harlem District Health Center was built with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $239,000 loan and $343,700 grant for… read more
The East Lake Courts public housing complex was undertaken during the Great Depression in Chattanooga, Tennessee with the assistance of funds provided by the United States Housing Authority (USHA). East Lake Courts was constructed in a “restrained Colonial Revival Style”… read more
Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Public Works Administration provided funding for the expansion of the Eddy County Courthouse and jail in 1939. Treasures on New Mexico Trails: “Eddy County Courthouse was begun in 1891, with additions… read more
"There were nine PWA-financed courthouses constructed in South Dakota during the Depression era. Although designs were not standardized, most were three or four story buildings designed in variations of the Moderne styles. Building materials and finishes included brick, stone, concrete,… read more
The Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration (PRRA) built El Falansterio, a new public housing development located in Puerta de Tierra, San Juan, between 1936-1937. PuertaDeTierra.info: In Puerta de Tierra a neighborhood house would be built between Matías Ledesma streets, San Juan… read more
A Boston Public Works Department report cited Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) labor as conducting the following work: “The Election Department building, at the corner of Broadway and Dorchester avenue, was repaired.” The building is no longer extant.
Johnstown, Pennsylvania’s Tribune-Democrat reported in 2012 that the Election House in Stonycreek Township, PA (in the village of Shanksville) was “constructed through President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration. It dates to about 1936 and voting has been held there… read more
The Alley Dwelling Authority (ADA) and the United States Housing Authority (USHA) funded the construction of the Ellen Wilson Dwellings in Washington, DC between 1938 and 1941. The Ellen Wilson Dwellings were demolished in 1996, and the area appears to have… read more
“This building was designed and carried out by the Public Buildings Branch of the Procurement Division for the Immigration Service of the Department of Labor and constitutes one unit of a large project to improve ferry facilities at Ellis Island…. read more
Emancipation Park in Houston, Texas was dramatically transformed and improved by construction projects enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) during the Great Depression. The park “was donated to the City of Houston in 1916. For more than twenty… read more