International Peace Garden – Dunseith ND

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed the International Peace Garden during the 1930s.

Kinishba Ruins National Historic Landmark – Fort Apache AZ

“Kinishba Ruins was constructed by the Pueblo people and occupied as early as 800 until as late as 1400 A.D. Byron Cummings, director of the Arizona State Museum, and his students began excavation and reconstruction of Kinishba in 1931. In… read more

La Fortaleza (Governor’s Mansion) Renovations – San Juan PR

The work relief division of the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration (PRRA) conducted “extensive repairs to the patio” of La Fortaleza, the 16th Century governor’s mansion in San Juan, capitol of the territory of Puerto Rico, ca. 1937. In 1940-1 the… read more

Lexington State Historic Site: Anderson House Restoration – Lexington MO

The Works Progress Administration restored the Anderson House at the Lexington State Historic Site. According to a storyboard (pictured below) in the museum at this site, “significant repairs and restoration were undertaken by the Works Progress Administration as part of the… read more

Liberty Memorial Improvements – Kansas City MO

Now known as the National WWI Museum and Memorial, what was then the Liberty Memorial was the recipient of efforts on the part of multiple New Deal agencies. National Register of Historic Places nomination form: Numerous small-scale features are located throughout… read more

Lincoln Memorial: Repairs and Snow Removal – Washington DC

On May 26, 1933, Lieutenant Colonel U.S. Grant III, grandson of President Ulysses Grant and director of the Office of Public Buildings and Public Parks of the National Capital, presented a large public works program for Washington, DC, “in anticipation… read more

Paradise Valley Ranger Station Area Improvements – Humboldt National Forest NV

“Establishing communications between outlying ranger stations was imperative. Crews built roads and telephone lines between the Paradise Valley Ranger Station and the outlying station at Martin Creek. The men also constructed the administrative buildings at Paradise Ranger Station and the… read more

Park Improvements – Crater Lake National Park OR

“The ultimate direction of development in the parks became an important issue due to the increase in construction activity during the administration of President Herbert Hoover. To ensure that this activity was proceeding in an orderly fashion, long-term planning was… read more

Peter Cooper Statue Restoration – New York NY

Formerly known as Stuyvesant Square, the park in which this statue sits was renamed Cooper Square after Peter Cooper, a 19th century industrialist and philanthropist. As the NYC Parks site documents: “Following Cooper’s death in 1883, Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1848–1907), the… read more

Rim Village Historic District Projects – Crater Lake National Park OR

“The year 1933 brought many significant changes into the National Park system. Up until that time President Herbert Hoover saw to it that the national parks received their allotment requests for park operations and development. Budgets and staff for the… read more

Riverside Park: Grant’s Tomb Improvements – New York NY

A great number of improvements to the General Grant National Memorial (“Grant’s Tomb”) were undertaken by the WPA between 1935 and 1939. As the National Park Service’s David Kahn (1980) explains: “Thirty-eight years after the tomb opened, the initial restoration… read more

Saratoga National Historical Park – Stillwater NY

This park commemorates the first major American victory of the Revolutionary War in 1777. “Establishment of a national park to commemorate the Saratoga battles, authorized by Congress in 1938,  came about largely due to the direction provided by President Franklin… read more

Statue of Liberty and Liberty Island Improvements – New York NY

Statue of Liberty

The Statue of Liberty was a gift to the United States from France in 1886. It was administered by the United States Lighthouse Board until 1901 and then by the Department of War. In 1937, FDR proclaimed the entire island… read more