Hohenwald, Tennessee’s historic Lewis County Courthouse was constructed during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. Constructed in PWA Moderne style, the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Construction of the Lexington County Courthouse during the 1930s was enabled by funds provided by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). From the building’s National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: “The Lexington County Courthouse is a two-story red brick… read more
The original Lincoln County Courthouse in Brookhaven, Mississippi was remodeled in 1933 by the Civil Works Administration. It was demolished in 1978-1979.
Lyon County Courthouse in Yerington, Nevada was constructed in 1912. During the mid-1930s the building received an addition enabled in part by federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. “In 1936, the existing west half of the building was added at… read more
The present Mackinac County Courthouse replaced an 1880s structure on the same site. Effectively dismantled to the foundation and rebuilt as a new facility, the project was originally approved as a remodeling. Construction of the modern structure was undertaken by the… read more
“Plans were announced in 1939 for construction of the present courthouse by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The new building was approved in the November 8 general election and a $90,090 allotment was provided. A new site was… read more
Completed in 1942, this Work Projects Administration building features native Missouri stone and concrete. The building was designed by architect Mason C. Abbitt from Jefferson City, MO. Construction occurred in two stages and the facility includes a county jail.
The striking Art Deco-style Marinette County Courthouse was constructed in 1941-2, and its construction was tied to F.D.R.’s New Deal. At the time, a project of this scale would have likely proceeded with a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) grant; however the local… read more
An addition to the old Martin County courthouse in Stuart, Florida was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The facility now serves as a cultural center. The PWA supplied a $12,272 grant for the project,… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) undertook improvement work (e.g., painting) at the McCreary County Courthouse in Whitley City, Kentucky.
The Works Progress Administration renovated the Medina County Courthouse between 1938-1940. Excerpt from the historical market installed at the Medina County Courthouse: “Between 1939 and 1942, changes to the courthouse were made, including the addition of two two-story wings. Stone for… read more
The historic Menominee County Courthouse received an addition constructed as Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. The addition extended the building south, toward 9th Ave. P.W.A. supplied a $28,228 grant for the project, whose total cost was $62,878. Construction occurred in 1937-8. PWA Docket No. MI [W]1419
"There were nine PWA-financed courthouses constructed in South Dakota during the Depression era. Although designs were not standardized, most were three or four story buildings designed in variations of the Moderne styles. Building materials and finishes included brick, stone, concrete,… read more
Cortez, Colorado’s historic Montezuma County Courthouse was constructed during the Great Depression. The project was enabled by federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a grant of $29,235 toward the project, whose eventual total cost was $64,966. Construction… read more
“In the midst of the Great Depression, the county commissioners took advantage of a federal construction grant from the Public Works Administration to match county funds toward the erection of a new courthouse to replace a 1907 building. The 1936… read more
The Natchitoches Parish Courthouse was undertaken in Natchitoches, Louisiana during the Great Depression with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The facilities were part of the largest wave of courthouse construction in Louisiana history, with… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) added a jail to the existing Newton County courthouse in Decatur, Mississippi during the Great Depression as a part of a temporary job creation program under the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). It was demolished… read more
“A further addition was designed by Levi J. Dean in 1940 and executed by the Works Progress Administration. The addition reflects Art Deco influences.”