The WPA constructed this two story brick-faced courthouse in 1939. It features rock accents and columns on the front façade, and multi-colored abstract decorative tiles adorn the entryways and windows. From the University of Missouri Extension Department of Community Development:… read more
The courthouse was undertaken in Lake Providence, Louisiana during the Great Depression with the assistance of funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The building was erected for a cost of $100, 589 (Leighninger, 2007).
Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Public Works Administration provided funding for the expansion of the Eddy County Courthouse and jail in 1939. Treasures on New Mexico Trails: “Eddy County Courthouse was begun in 1891, with additions… read more
"There were nine PWA-financed courthouses constructed in South Dakota during the Depression era. Although designs were not standardized, most were three or four story buildings designed in variations of the Moderne styles. Building materials and finishes included brick, stone, concrete,… read more
The historic Emery County Courthouse building in Castle Dale, Utah was constructed as a New Deal project with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor also contributed to the project. The building continues to house governmental functions…. read more
The historic Erie County Courthouse building in Sandusky, Ohio was extensively renovated with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds between 1936 and 1939. [Note: Some sources mis-attribute the work to the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.).] The P.W.A. allotted $141,095 for… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the no-longer-extant Family Court… read more
Terre Haute’s historic U.S. Post Office and Court House was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds and completed in 1935. The building has been remodeled by Indiana State University; currently known as Federal Hall, the building houses the Scott School… read more
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds provided funding for the construction of the Ferry County Courthouse in Republic, Washington. Construction occurred between 1936 and 1937. The PWA provided a grant of $22,166; the total cost of the project was $49,283.
“This building, in addition to housing the county court and its officers, provides space for the county clerk, treasurer, welfare department, county nurses, agricultural department, school departments, record storage, and for certain bodies of the Federal Government. It is a… read more
The Franklin County Courthouse was undertaken during the Great Depression in Winchester, Tennessee with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The courthouse was constructed in a PWA Moderne style with “classical pilasters and low relief… read more
Jim Jenks writes: “Designed in the Moderne style” popular at the time, “Gallatin County’s 1936 courthouse at 311 West Main Street was one of several federally financed projects that brought jobs and civic improvements to Bozeman during the Great Depression.”… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the old Gates Avenue… read more
“The Gilchrist County Courthouse is an historic two-story red brick courthouse building located at 112 South Main Street in Trenton, Gilchrist County, Florida. It was designed by the Jacksonville firm of Smith, Holborn, and Dozier and was built in 1933… read more
Built in the Moderne style, the Gillespie County Courthouse was completed in July 1939. There is a plaque just inside the front door that attributes the construction to the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. Construction began on the courthouse… read more
The historic Holt County Courthouse in O’Neill, Nebraska was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $34,363 grant for the project, whose total cost was $70,086. Construction occurred between September 1938 and… read more
The Graham County Courthouse was constructed as a WPA project between 1940 and 1942. According to the National Register of Historic Places, it was designed by the Knoxville architecture firm of Barber and McMurry, and built with stone quarried from… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) lent Grand County $33,750 to help build a new county courthouse in Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado, in 1937-38—now the Grant County Administration Building. The project’s total cost was $75,733. (PWA Docket No. CO 1060-R.) The… read more
The WPA constructed new wings on either side of this existing courthouse in 1939.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) remodeled the Grimes County Courthouse in Anderson, Texas, in 1940. WPA crews installed a tile roof, cleaned and painted the building facade, installed tile floors, built outside stairs, plastered the interior walls, and landscaped the grounds.
The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided the funds to build the Hamilton County Courthouse in 1938. The structure was designed in Art Deco/Moderne style by architect William McCoy, who was well-known in central Illinois at the time. Wikipedia makes the common… read more
Designed by Overend and Boucher of Wichita, the historic Hamilton County Courthouse in Syracuse, Kansas was constructed in 1937 as a Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (a.k.a. Public Works Administration—PWA) project, one of several P.W.A. county courthouses in Kansas. The… read more
This structure was constructed with WPA help, but did not receive sought-for PWA funding: “Forty years later, the November 4, 1938 Burns Times-Herald called the courthouse “antiquated [and] poorly arranged.” Voters were deciding whether the county should construct a new… read more
Sometimes misattributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), Bethany, Missouri’s Harrison County Courthouse and jail was enabled by the provision of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The stately Art Deco project was authorized in an election in 1938 as… read more
The NRHP nomination form describes this courthouse as the “…finest extant example of the Art Deco style within the city of Hope, Arkansas. Its horizontal symmetrical massing, set back rooflines and stylized Art Deco ornamentation are all identifying characteristics of… read more