In 1938, the Works Progress Administration built a gymnasium/auditorium combination for the Elm Mott School. Interestingly, the records show that they put “used” bleachers in the building. This is a two-story, red brick building that now sets behind a locked… read more
“After withdrawing an application to the PWA, St. Augustine’s municipal officials initiated the St. Augustine Civic Center project through the CWA. … In 1935, residents and administrators celebrated the completion of the building under the FERA banner.” (NRHP Nomination) The… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a school in Stratton CO, in Kit Carson County, School District # 57. The reinforced concrete structure includes four classrooms and a combination auditorium and gymnasium, which accommodated 4,000 persons. The construction cost was $35,354.
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funding for the remodeling of the 1893 Opera House building, converting much of the four-story building into municipal offices. The building houses Sumter’s city hall to this day. Wikipedia: “The building was remodeled… read more
“The theater originally was constructed in 1930 and expanded and renovated in 1937 using Texas Centennial funding. The architect for the 1930 project was Harvey P. Smith, who was joined by George Willis and Charles T. Boelhauwe to design the… read more
As early as July 1935, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Tekamah Fire Association investigated the possibility of constructing an auditorium in Tekamah that would also house the town’s fire-fighting apparatus. An application was submitted to the WPA requesting… read more
The gym has been torn down. While still standing, it was used by the schoolchildren and also used by the people of the community as a recreational hall.
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the auditorium at the University of Arizona, Tucson campus. It was designed by campus architect Roy Place. The venue opened in 1937 and hosted musical programs, plays, and lectures for students and… read more
The Arts and Sciences Auditorium, originally known as the Liberal Arts Building, on the University of Wyoming campus in Laramie was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The P.W.A. provided a $213,700 loan… read more
The Shasta County Veterans Memorial Building was constructed with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) and completed in 1939. There is a bronze plaque near the entrance marking the contribution of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, i.e., the… read more
The Veterans’ Memorial Building was constructed in 1934-36 with financial aid from the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) and unemployed workers drawn from the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA), which was funded largely by federal government assistance. It is… read more
Newnan, Georgia’s historic Wadsworth Auditorium was originally constructed as the community’s Municipal Building in 1939. The building was “originally constructed in part with funds provided by the Federal Public Works Administration. The three story tan colored brick building designed in… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration helped to construct an old convention center at what is now the northwest corner of Stewart Ave. and N. Las Vegas Blvd. in Las Vegas, Nevada. A National Register of Historic Places registration form states:… read more
Park City’s historic War Memorial Building (and Public Auditorium) is a federal New Deal project funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA supplied a $57,225 grant toward the project, which was matched by local funds. There is conflicting information in… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Watertown Auditorium. The facility has two basketball and volleyball courts. It also has a stage with theater seating. For years it was used for rec league basketball and volleyball leagues and… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed Festival Hall, an auditorium, at the Wells County Fairgrounds, located at the southeast corner of North Dakota Highway 15 and U.S. Highway 52. “Also constructed during the depression years was Festival Hall (1938)…. read more
“At the time of the Centennial Exposition held in Fort Worth in 1936, the city officials determined to erect several permanent buildings that would maintain their civic usefulness after the closing of the exposition. Among the most important of these… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the Civic Auditorium, now known as William L. White Auditorium, in Emporia KS. The structure’s current usage is mostly as a basketball arena, but it also houses graduations, shows, concerts, etc.