1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • Mount Elden CCC Camp - Flagstaff AZ
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp NP-12 was established at the base of Mt Elden, near Flagstaff AZ, in 1935.  The camp continued through 1942.  Company 3345 was billeted there (and possibly others, but we have no evidence of that, as yet). The CCC enrollees at Mt Elden worked for the National Park Service (NPS) on many projects around the region, including at Wupatki National Monument, Walnut Canyon National Monument, and Sunset Crater National Monument.  They also helped build the road into the Arizona Snow Bowl in the San Francisco Peaks and Cottage City on the campus of the Teachers College in...
  • Mount Greylock State Reservation - Lanesborough MA
    The CCC conducted extensive work on Mount Greylock State Reservation between 1933 and 1942. From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: “The Mount Greylock Summit, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, contains an exceptional collection of CCC resources. Most notable is Bascom Lodge, as well as the associated outbuildings, roads, trails and a particularly well designed parking area.” From Wikipedia: The greatest period of development on Mount Greylock occurred in the 1930s. ... The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 107th Company, MA camp SP-7, from 1933-1941 made extensive improvements on roads, trails, scenic vistas, firebreaks, forest health improvement,...
  • Mount Rainier National Park - WA
    Mount Rainier was the nation's fifth National Park, established 1899. During the Great Depression the New Deal's Civilian Conservation Corps greatly aided the park's development. NPS.gov: "The Civilian Conservation Corps was busily building and repairing park lands and structures from 1933 to 1941. In addition to landscape work, they helped plant over 10,000,000 trout in the lakes and streams." "Five Emergency Conservation Work Camps are authorized for the park. They are manned by newly recruited Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) men from various parts of the United States. Training is provided by park service personnel. The CCC use inexpensive skills to build and repair...
  • Mount Spokane State Park - WA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop Mount Spokane State Park during the 1930s.
  • Mt. Madonna CCC Camp - Almaden CA
    This camp was constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers for training and occupied by the 450th Company, P-234 October 15, 1937 near the old quicksilver mines of Almaden at the site of the ghost town of English Camp. Work projects accomplished by the 450th included construction of truck trails, telephone lines, bridges, lookout towers, fire prevention landscaping, spring development and rock walls. A group of 40 men were sent to a side camp at Aptos near Santa Cruz to build truck trails and another group of 22 went to a camp at Smith Creek near Lick Observatory on Mt....
  • Mt. Morrison CCC Camp - Morrison CO
    The Mount Morrision Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp was constructed in 1935-36 and used until 1941.  The young men stationed there were the labor force that built the magnificent Red Rocks Amphitheatre and improved Red Rocks Park. The camp is still intact and serves as the maintenance yard for Red Rocks Park. Fourteen of the original fifteen CCC buildings remain. The camp is part of the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre Historic District, listed on the national register in 1990 and declared a National Historic Site in 2015.    
  • Natchaug State Forest - Eastford CT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)'s Camp Fernow, which housed Company #183, was stationed at Natchaug State Forest in Eastford, Connecticut. The camp was established June 29, 1933 and was discontinued May 28, 1941. Among other projects independently listed on other pages, work included: "tree planting, 8 miles of truck trails, improvements to the Forest Ranger's house, and construction of the Eastern District sawmill, a sawdust and plainer shed, a warehouse, a machine shop, and the 3 lumber sheds that supplied the entire eastern half of Connecticut."
  • New Discovery State Park - Marshfield VT
    The CCC did extensive work at multiple sites within New Discovery State Park, one of several parks located within the Groton State Forest. "In 1933, CCC Company 146 from Rhode Island was stationed along the road to Osmore Pond. Approximately 3⁄4 mile from the campground on the left, you will see the remains of a stone fence at the entrance to the camp, the Recreation Hall chimney, and cellar holes. Company 146 was responsible for building structures at New Discovery, Osmore Pond, Owl’s Head, and Kettle Pond. Around Osmore Pond, a 75-person log shelter, 19 picnic sites with stone fireplaces, and four...
  • Niobrara State Park - Niobrara NE
    According to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, “Niobrara State Park opened to the public after work by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934 and 1935.”
  • Nipmuck State Forest - Union CT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)'s Camp Graves operated between May 27, 1933 and April 22, 1936 at Nipmuck State Forest in Union, Connecticut. Among the C.C.C. accomplishments were "8 miles of truck trails" and "fire suppression on the Connecticut—Massachusetts border." Additional projects are linked to from this page.
  • O'Bannon Woods State Park Shelter house CCC Camp S-86 - Corydon IN
    The campsite is marked primarily by low stone walls and scattered foundations. The camp was occupied in December of 1934 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 517, which was comprised of young African-American boys. Upon completion of their work, the camp was discontinued in the fall of 1937 and Co. 517 moved on to another location.
  • Ocmulgee National Monument - Macon GA
    Numerous New Deal agencies had a tremendous impact on the development of Ocmulgee National Monument, the site of pre-Columbian southeastern settlement dating back millennia. "The largest dig ever conducted in this country occurred here at Ocmulgee and the surrounding area. Between 1933 and 1936, over 800 men in Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration (WPA), Civil Works Administration (CWA), Federal Emergency Relief Administration (ERA & FERA) and later the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) excavated under the direction of Dr. Arthur R. Kelly from the Smithsonian Institute. Kelly was the only archaeologist at the Ocmulgee camp and conducted evening training courses for the men....
  • Oglebay Park - Wheeling WV
    "During the 1930s numerous improvement projects were carried out through federal relief programs. A Civilian Conservation Corps Camp of about 200 young men was located in the beech woods where the former Caddy Camp building stands. Gift and loans were solicited to match the Works Progress Administration funds, making possible the building of nature trails and roads, picnic sites, cabins, tennis courts, the outdoor theater, Camp Russel, and the entire Crispin Center area. Crispin Center - with its large swimming pool, golf shop and Pine Room area - has changed little on the outside. Built in 1937-38 of natural sandstone, much...
  • Olympic National Park - Port Angeles WA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop Olympic National Park, including constructing the park's headquarters, during the 1930s.
  • Otter River State Forest - Baldwinville MA
    According to the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, “After the state acquired the land, it was reforested with groves of pines which were planted by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. The CCC also built the first campground sites in the area.”  
  • Pachaug State Forest - Voluntown CT
    Pachaug State Forest is the largest forest in Connecticut. After the land was acquired by the state, "Laborers from New Deal programs such as the ... Civilian Conservation Corps then turned these newly acquired lands into usable open space ..." The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)’s Camp Lonergan, which housed Company #179, was stationed at Pachaug State Forest in Voluntown, Connecticut. The camp was established June 6, 1933 and was discontinued May 28, 1942. A CCC Museum exhibit discusses the camp's accomplishments. "The largest state forest in Connecticut was home to a camp named after Senator Augustine Lonergan. A shingle mill was set up near...
  • Packers Meadows CCC Camp F-23 - Selway Forest ID
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built a camp F-23 at Packers Meadows, Selway Forest, Idaho.
  • Pactola Lake CCC Camp - Black Hills National Forest SD
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) maintained a camp at Pactola Lake SD from 1933 to 1940.  It was designated Camp F-4 and worked under the supervision of the US Forest Service.  Recruits at Camp F-4 worked chiefly in the Black Hills National Forest of western South Dakota. "Camp F-4 was part of a national CCC program to renovate forests and build more recreation areas. Work projects, supervised by the USDA Forest Service, included tree thinning, pruning and planting, fire prevention and suppression; rodent, insect and disease control, grazing land improvement and recreation area development. Enrollees removed dead, diseased, suppressed and excess...
  • Pana'ewa CCC Camp - Hilo HI
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a side camp at Pana'ewa Forest on the Big Island of Hawaii. The Pana'ewa Forest has been heavily developed with the growth of Hilo, the main city on the island, but some small pieces remain, especially as Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo and Gardens and Pana'ewa Forest Reserve.   The CCC enrollees worked in in the vicinity of this camp and their work included tree planting; building truck, foot and horse trails; construction of foot bridges; installation of fences; seed collection; erosion control and check dams; building shelter houses; “elimination of undesirable animals” ; “eradication of exotic...
  • Paris Mountain State Park - Greenville SC
    Paris Mountain State Park was developed in large part by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). "CCC structures, including the Camp Buckhorn lodge, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places." The state park on Paris Mountain was built in the 1930s by the Depression-era CCC. Sixteen other parks in the state of South Carolina were also created due to the work of the CCC. The land for the park was acquired in 1935 from the city of Greenville." CCC work included the development of the entrance, road construction, a bathhouse and an office, picnic facilities, staff residences, a gazebo, the development...
  • Patapsco Valley State Park - Ellicott City MD
    "Conservation efforts began in the river valley in 1907 when the Patapsco State Forest Reserve was established. During the Depression years of the 1930s, President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) planted trees and built trails, picnic areas, campsites and handsome cut-stone pavilions to improve what had by then become "Patapsco State Park". Company 356 of the Civilian Conservation Corps made its encampment near Lost Lake at Camp Tydings in the Avalon Area. The CCC built the stone picnic shelters in Orange Grove and Glen Artney (not visible from the river). The CCC was also responsible for planting trees in...
  • Peru State Forest - Peru MA
    The CCC assisted in the development of this state forest.
  • Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park: Development - Big Sur CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made extensive improvements to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park on the central California coast, developing it for public recreational use after the state parks commission acquired the land in 1933.  The enrollees worked out of Camp Big Sur from 1933 to 1941.  We believe Camp Big Sur was located either at the present Main Campground or at the Group Picnic Area. The CCC built campgrounds, picnic areas, a campfire center, and several stone restrooms (comfort stations). They also constructed the main lodge with a post office and cabins.  To this, they added a park headquarters and administration...
  • Pittsfield State Forest - Pittsfield MA
    The CCC worked to develop Pittsfield State Forest during the 1930s. From BerkshireWeb.com: "In the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) planted large tracts of spruce and red pine on the former grazing land. They also constructed roads, dams, and buildings. The land, which had remained in private ownership, was then sold to the state. Many of the forest's present buildings date from the CCC era, including the ski lodge with its enormous stone fireplace." From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: "The renovation of this administration building is a victory in the effort to preserve the rustic CCC...
  • Pokagon State Park: CCC Camp SP 7 (demolished) - Angola IN
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp at Pokagon State Park in order to work on developing the park. The camp was there from 1933 to 1942, when the CCC program closed down.  The camp was dismantled afterward. Camp SP-7 housed Company 556 and consisted of officers quarters, six barracks, headquarters building, recreational hall, bath house/laundry, mess hall, latrine, motor pool shed, blacksmith/tool storage, educational/shop building, pumphouse and water tower, and ham radio shed.   The site is marked by a sign on a stone pedestal, built by one of the former CCC boys some 40 years after the camp closed. More...
  • Potwisha CCC Camp - Sequoia National Park CA
    Begun early in 1933, Potwisha is the former location of an old Yokut Indian winter camping ground three miles above Sequoia National Park headquarters at the junction of the Marble Fork of the Kaweah River and the main branch. The 915th Company, SNP - 1 was formed in May 1933 at Fort Winfield Scott California and moved into Potwisha by the 13th. The camp was constructed by the 23rd. Notable achievement is the carving of the indian head sign that greets visitors entering the Ash Mountain entrance, carved by CCC enrollee George Muno during September 1935. "The work conducted by the CCC...
  • Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park: CCC Camp - Orick CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp in October 1933 at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, north of Orick, California. CCC company 1903 operated out of what was known as Prairie Creek Camp while working on improvements to all the state parks along the coast of Northern California. The state had just created a state park system in 1928, which took over management of a handful of older beach parks and newly-acquired redwood parks purchased by the Save the Redwoods League in the 1920s. There were few, if any, public facilities in any of the parks when the CCC came in. The...
  • Priest Lake CCC Camp - Priest River ID
    From the Priest Lake vacation website: "The Priest Lake Museum is a great place to begin any visit to the lake and a fitting showplace to remind us of the numerous influences that created the special character of Priest Lake. The museum building was constructed in 191935 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). It is a prime example of handcrafted oil-treated tamarack (larch) log construction. The building initially served as a residence and office for the first Ranger on what was then Kaniksu National Forest. The museum houses numerous articles and displays that depict the colorful history of the lake and...
  • Prince William Forest Park - Triangle VA
    Prince William Forest Park was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), with help from skilled workers of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), from 1935 to 1942.  It was then known as Chopawamsic Recreation Demonstration Area (the name was changed in 1948).  RDAs were meant for getting inner city children out into the country to enjoy the benefits of nature and outdoor recreation. The New Deal programs built permanent structures, including the park headquarters and five cabin camps, extensive roads and trails, and five recreational lakes.  Almost all these improvements are still in use today.  The National Park Service, which operates...
  • Rand National Historic Site: CCC Camp Rand - Galice OR
    The Rand National Historic Site is located on the west side of the Rogue River in southwestern Oregon, 25 miles northwest of Grants Pass and 3 miles downstream from Galice. Rand's history covers the Gold Rush, establishment of the Siskiyou National Forest and the 20th century logging era, plus the postwar recreation era that followed designation of the Rogue as a National Wild and Scenic River. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) played a central role in that history, with some of the CCC's work still very much visible.  CCC Company #1650 built and occupied Camp Rand (F-75) starting in late 1933. The...
  • Rand National Historic Site: Graves Creek Bridge (former) - Galice OR
    The Rand National Historic Site is located on the west side of the Rogue River in southwestern Oregon, 25 miles northwest of Grants Pass and 3 miles downstream from Galice. Rand's history covers the Gold Rush, establishment of the Siskiyou National Forest and the 2oth century logging era, plus the postwar recreation era that followed designation of the Rogue as a National Wild and Scenic River. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) played a central role in that history, with some of the CCC's work still very much visible.  The CCC built and occupied Camp Rand from 1933 to 1941. After building their camp,...
  • Rand National Historic Site: Ranger Station Additions - Galice OR
    The Rand National Historic Site is located on the west side of the Rogue River in southwestern Oregon, 25 miles northwest of Grants Pass and 3 miles downstream from Galice. Rand's history covers the Gold Rush, establishment of the Siskiyou National Forest and the 2oth century logging era, plus the postwar recreation era that followed designation of the Rogue as a National Wild and Scenic River. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) played a central role in that history, with some of the CCC's work still very much visible.  The CCC built and occupied Camp Rand from 1933 to 1941. After establishing their camp,...
  • Rand National Historic Site: Ranger Station Renovations - Galice OR
    The Rand National Historic Site is located on the west side of the Rogue River in southwestern Oregon, 25 miles northwest of Grants Pass and 3 miles downstream from Galice. Rand's history covers the Gold Rush, establishment of the Siskiyou National Forest and the 2oth century logging era, plus the postwar recreation era that followed designation of the Rogue as a National Wild and Scenic River. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) played a central role in that history, with some of the CCC's work still very much visible.  The CCC built and occupied Camp Rand from 1933 to 1941. After establishing their camp,...
  • Rattlesnake Springs Historic District - Carlsbad NM
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) operated Camp NP-1-N from 1938 to 1942 at Rattlesnake Springs—now the Rattlesnake Springs Historic District—in Carlsbad Caverns National Park. The group conducted substantial work at the site. Bob Hoff's Carlsbad Caverns History Blog: At Rattlesnake Springs, the CCC enrollees built a ranger residence still in use today. They also constructed a service road and a water diversion ditch and constructed masonry work to line the Rattlesnake Springs pond. While National Park Service Landscape Architect Harvey Cornell provided the plans for the CCC camp layout in 1938 it is not clear to what extent CCC enrollees constructed the...
  • Rio Vista Farm (former) Development - Socorro TX
    Among the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects identified as underway in an El Paso Times article from June 7, 1936 was "the County Farm building program, which will provide 13 permanent structures." NPS.gov: "The facility, established as the El Paso County Poor Farm in 1916, continued in that function until 1964. In the midst of the Great Depression, the Texas Transient Bureau began construction of a multi-building labor camp on part of the poor farm grounds in 1935. The Transient Bureau soon ceased operations. Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed the previously planned construction in 1936, intending the new buildings for expanded poor...
  • Robinson State Park - Feeding Hills MA
    The CCC developed this state park.    
  • Rock Creek Park: Improvements - Washington DC
    The New Deal contributed substantially to the betterment of Rock Creek Park in the 1930s.  This involved a number of federal agencies. Rock Creek Park is a key greenway in the District of Columbia and, at 1750 acres, is almost twice the size of Central Park in New York.  It was established by Congress in 1890, making it officially a National Park at the time.  It featured prominently in the far-reaching plans for the District of Columbia by the McMillan Commission in 1901-02 and the Olmsted Brothers report of 1918, which envisioned a major park with a scenic parkway running through it. In...
  • Salamonie River State Forest CCC Camp (Co. 589) - Andrews IN
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 589 came to this newly acquired property from McCormick's Creek State Park. All that remains of the CCC Camp are scattered concrete foundations.
  • Sandisfield State Forest - Monterey MA
    From the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation: Before 1935 York Lake did not exist. It is man-made. It was created out of a swampy wetland, built as part of the New Deal’s Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a U.S. Federal Government conservation program. The CCC improved the nation’s natural and human resources and created opportunities for the public to recreate and appreciate a healthy outdoor experience. From 1933-37 the 196 Company CCC, whose nearby camp site off Route 183 just south of here, once supplied 200 men a season to work in the state forest. Formerly unemployed men then earned a dollar-a-day,...
  • Savoy Mountain State Forest - Florida MA
    The CCC worked to develop Savoy Mountain State Forest during the 1930s. From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: "Savoy Mountain State Forest was created in 1918 with the purchase of 1,000 acres of this abandoned farmland. During the 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) reforested much of this area with Norway and Blue Spruce, and built new concrete dams at Bog, Burnett and Tannery Pond to replace older dams."
1 2 3 4 5 6 7