1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • CCC State Forester's Camp (former) - Salem OR
    Currently the administrative center for the Oregon Department of Forestry, this site was first developed in 1936 as the maintenance camp for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), which coordinated its activities with the State Forester's Office. From the first Civilian Conservation Corps camps in 1933 to their closure at the beginning of World War II, Oregon was second only to California in the number of camps west of the Mississippi.  Various state agencies supervised CCC work based on camp location and work program. The State Forester held jurisdiction over camps located in state forests or on private land. The state agency’s newsletter...
  • Chadron State Park - Chadron NE
    According to CCC alumnus Charles E. Humberger, quoted in the Nebraska History journal, “guest cabins were constructed and improvements made at the swimming pool and picnic and recreation area. Roads and trails were improved and drainage structures built. Brush dams were built to control soil and stream bank erosion, and the water supply system at the headquarters area was improved. They also carried out extensive rodent control and soil erosion programs on private property north of Chadron.” According to the city of Hemingford, “, one of Nebraska’s most beautiful, was developed to a large degree, by Civilian Conservation Corporation (CCC) forces…”
  • Challis National Forest CCC Camp - Clayton ID
    CCC Camp F-407 was stationed near Clayton in the Challis National Forest. Camp F-407 left structures at Clayton, Loon Creek, and Cape Horn. From the Forest Service: "The site for the Clayton Ranger Station was acquired as an administrative site in 1913. The original station consisted of a three room dwelling, barn, and woodshed built in 1914. During 1933 and 1934, the present buildings were constructed by the CCC."
  • Chatfield Hollow State Park - Killingworth CT
    Camp Roosevelt: C.C.C. Company #171 operated from May 23, 1933 to March 31, 1937, and worked to develop what was later designated as Chatfield Hollow State Park. It was originally "developed as a Civilian Conservation Corps recreation area within Cockaponset State Forest."
  • Chemin-a-Haut State Park - Bastrop LA
    "The park’s history is tied to Camp Morehouse, a Civilian Conservation Corps camp that was located nearby, and a company of young men who began construction of the park in the 1930s. The Morehouse Enterprise reports June 8, 1933 that CCC Company 1491 under the command of U.S. Army Capt. Ralph L. Ware had arrived in Bastrop via train from Camp Beauregard. The company included 188 enrollees from Morehouse and surrounding parishes. The men would be stationed at Camp Morehouse about 12 miles north of Bastrop  on land owned by the Crossett Lumber Co., where they planned to build a lighting plant,...
  • Chicopee Memorial State Park - Chicopee MA
    In the 1890s, the city of Chicopee purchased a tract of land along Cooley Brook for the creation of a reservoir, which later took place in 1926. Nearly a decade later during the Great Depression the area was selected for expansion and the creation of a state park by the Civilian Conservation Corps The CCC operated Camp 1156 in Chicopee, Massachusetts from 1935 to 1937. The camp that resided in Chicopee was near Cooley Brook Reservoir where Chicopee Memorial State Park is located today and housed about two hundred young men. CCC workers conducted efforts throughout the Chicopee Memorial State Park...
  • Chinsegut Washhouse - Brooksville FL
    Small wood framed front gable cabin with shed roof porch used as a Washroom for CCC Workers.
  • City Rocks CCC Camp - Coeur D'Alene ID
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a camp near Coeur D'Alene in Idaho. The enclosed images showing CCC enrollees at the camp were provided to the Living New Deal by Nancy Calle. Her father, John Griffith Calle, pictured in several of the images, was enrolled in the CCC and worked at the City Rocks Camp in 1935.
  • Civilian Conservation Camp SP-55-TX - Dallas, TX
    Civilian Conservation Camp SP-55-TX is the main encampment that was the headquarters for the CCC's Dallas operations. A historical marker can be found at the location of the camp. Excerpt from Steven Butler's From Water Supply to Urban Oasis: A History of White Rock Lake Park (Richardson, Texas: Poor Scholar Publications, 2004: "The Dallas-area camp, designated SP-55-TX, was originally intended for Bachman Lake but in mid-July 1935 the National Park Service decided to place it at White Rock instead, "in order to get sanitary sewage and other facilities more suited to the project." On July 10, 1935, work on the barracks and other...
  • Civilian Conservation Corps Barracks, Tony Grove - Logan Canyon UT
    In the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built barracks near Tony Grove in Logan Canyon, Utah. The structures were initially in built to house CCC workers and later used as Utah State University's (USU) Forestry Field Station Camp. A special use permit was issued for the use of the camp by the USU in the spring of 1936 by the Forest Service. The facility includes two cabins. The first structure served as the “administration building” with a kitchen and wood-pipe stove, bathrooms, and beds. The second structure served as a classroom and it included bunk beds. As of January...
  • Civilian Conservation Corps Camp TVA-11 aka Camp Roddy - Moulton AL
    Civilian Conservation Corps built TVA-11, aka Camp Roddy, a camp site near Moulton, Alabama. Two columns made from local stone that marked the entrance to the camp site and an open field are all that remains. 
  • Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park - Carmel NY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop during the 1930s what is now known as Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park. NYSParks.com: "The original core of land around and including Canopus Lake was developed through the use of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps which were established in the park and began development of the picnic area and campground, comfort stations, bridle paths, shelters, roads, and dams at Pelton Pond, Canopus and Stillwater lakes."
  • Clarkco State Park - Quitman MS
    "Clarkco is one of Mississippi's eight original state parks. It was constructed in 1938 by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1437, which, with other CCC companies, stayed in barracks in a camp along U.S. Hwy 45 within the park. Four of the original cabins and two large picnic shelters built by the CCC men are still in use. Unfortunately the original water tower and lookout tower fell into ruins and were removed... A side trail branches off from the lake circuit trail at the Island Rest Area, leading in 0.8 mile to the site of the CCC camp, which was used between...
  • Cockaponset State Forest - Middlesex County CT
    In operation from Dec. 9, 1933 to Jul. 30, 1941, C.C.C. Camp Filley conducted extensive development work in the Cockaponset State Forest in Middlesex County, Connecticut. Camp Hadley, Company #2101, also operated on this site, from Sept. 5, 1935 to Apr. 4, 1941. Projects included tree planting; renovations to the Forest Ranger's house; construction of a lumber shed, garage, brick charcoal kiln, a picnic shelter, and clean-up after the flood of 1936 in the town of Middletown. Work also included development at Chatfield Hollow State Park, designated as such in 1949. It was originally a Civilian Conservation Corps recreation area within Cockaponset State Forest.
  • Colossal Cave Mountain Park: Camping and Picnic Areas - Vail AZ
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carried out major work at Colossal Cave and the surrounding park north of Vail AZ (now a suburb of Tucson, but far to the east in the 1930s). They improved access to the cave itself, built a large visitors'/administration center, laid out a campground and picnic area, opened roads and trails and built a water supply system.  The Arizona State Park Service oversaw the work. CCC workers constructed La Selvilla campground and El Bosquecito picnic area below the hillside, as well as a pump house to take water up the hill to the cave and visitors'...
  • Colossal Cave Mountain Park: Cave Access - Vail AZ
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carried out major work at Colossal Cave and the surrounding park north of Vail AZ (now a suburb of Tucson, but far to the east in the 1930s). They improved access for visitors to the cave itself, built a large visitors'/administration center, laid out a campground and picnic area, opened roads and trails and built a water supply system.  The Arizona State Park Service oversaw the work. Work inside Colossal Cave included widening the entrance and passageways, installing rock walkways and handrails, and added lighting and a water pipeline. This work was done in 1934-37 by...
  • Coopers Rock State Forest - Bruceton Mills WV
    The West Virginia Department of Commerce writes: “The forest and its amenities are directly attributable to the development CCC Camp Rhododendron, formerly Camp Preston. A priority for the forest was fire fighting and wildlife food plots to increase hunting and thus, increase state revenues from hunters. The construction work at Cooper’s Rock began in May 1936 with some road and trail development. By the spring of 1937 the men were at work on the permanent structures in the Main Overlook area. The camp was occupied for a total of five years and their projects included road and trail development, picnic shelters,...
  • Crossett Experimental Forest Building #2 - Crossett AR
    This structure was built in 1939 by members of the 768th company of the Arkansas Civilian Conservation Corp. It was designed to be a garage and vehicular maintenance building for use by the members of the Forest Rangers. It is a one and a half story rectangular log built structure with four garage door type opening for vehicle maintenance. It is still in excellent condition today and still serves its original function, even though it is on the registry of historical locations in Arkansas. The structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
  • Decatur Co. CCC Camp (Demolished) - Decatur KS
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Decatur Co. CCC camp in Decatur County KS in 1936. According to the Kansas Historical Society, "The former camp ground eventually was consumed by residential and commercial development. Today no remnants of Camp Decatur are visible.  Property divided into multiple lots including housing and industry."  
  • Denali National Park and Mount McKinley National Park Headquarters District - Healy AK
    The CCC worked at what is now Denali National Park for two summers in 1938 and 1939. "The Mount McKinley National Park Headquarters District in what is now called Denali National Park was the original administrative center of the park. It contains an extensive collection of National Park Service Rustic structures, primarily designed by the National Park Service's Branch of Plans and Designs in the 1930s... As the hub of park administrative and management, the headquarters area expanded according to detailed plans provided by the Branch of Plans and Design. As in many of the national parks during the Depression, the Civilian...
  • Dolliver Memorial State Park - Lehigh IA
    "C.C.C. Company 2725 established camp DSP-3 (now SP-6) in Dolliver Memorial State Park on August 7, 1934, and immediately set to work constructing a series of barracks (Fig,.10) and a shop (Fig. 11). Aerial photography of Webster County from 1939 by the A.A.A. (Agricultural Adjustment Agency – a New Deal program to pay farmers to reduce their crop production) captured the area of the C.C.C. camp at Dolliver shorly after the barracks were constructed (Fig 12a). It shows the loge, cabins, the mess hall, rest room facilities, shortly after they were constructed and the remains of a baseball diamond. It...
  • Droop Mountain Battlefield State Park - Hillsboro WV
    J.D. Sutton, a private in the 10th West Virginia Infantry, was a veteran of the Battle of Droop Mountain. As a visionary he began the movement to preserve Droop Mountain. He and other veterans began to worry in the aftermath of World War I that their role will be forgotten. In the 1920s the veterans of the battle began to meet at the battlefield making locations of the engagement. In 1928, Governor Howard M. Gore accepted the first 141 acres for the state from the veterans. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop West Virginia's Droop Mountain Battlefield State Park. "A...
  • Dry Valley CCC Camp - Monticello UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp 23 miles north of Monticello  in San Juan County, in the southeast corner of Utah. CCC teams worked around Dry Valley, Indian Creek, Blanding, Monticello and La Sal, building fences and corrals; flood control and erosion works, including reseeding, revegetation and cultivation; telephone lines; and  campgrounds.  The CCC men also built the road through the Abajo Mountains from Monticello to Blanding.  Nothing remains of the camp except ruins of the camp gate, building foundations, the access road and an old Pontiac -- all of which are well documented by Mary Cokenour on her blog site...
  • Eagle Creek Campground and Picnic Area - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR
    Although the Eagle Creek Campground opened as the first "auto camp" in the northwest region in 1915, Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) workers made significant improvements to the campground from 1934 to 1937. As early as August 1934, the Oregonian reported that "Eagle Creek Campground is being improved so it will accommodate more picnic parties, through labors of boys from the Benson CCC camp . . . ". Their work included clearing additional campground space, building fireplaces and cutting up fallen snags to create wood for campfires. Headlines from the same Portland newspaper announced later in the fall that a record number of visitors...
  • Eagle Creek Overlook Group Site - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR
    In 1937, CCC workers from Camp Cascade Locks began improvements on recently acquired park land to extend the Eagle Creek campground and picnic area to the shores of the Columbia. These twenty-one acres were acquired to provide access to land overlooking Bonneville Dam. This new campground and picnic area is referred to as the Eagle Creek Overlook Group Site. In addition to landscaped trails and new picnic facilities and campsites, the CCC workers built the Eagle Creek Overlook Shelter to serve as a community kitchen, picnic shelter and restroom facility. As a 1984 US Forest Service report states: "The overlook building...
  • East Bay Regional Parks: CCC Camps - Berkeley and Oakland CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) set up five camps in the East Bay hills, starting in 1933-34 and carrying on until 1942.  From those camps, the "CCC boys" set out into the newly-created East Bay regional parks to do a wide range of improvements, such as clearing brush, planting trees, building roads and trails, and laying out picnic areas. The first camp was set up at Wildcat Canyon at the present site of the Tilden Environmental Education (Nature) Center.  About 3,500 young men rotated through Camp Wildcat Canyon.  As Eugene Swartling, who supervised the camp, recalls, "these young men were not being...
  • Fish Lake CCC Side Camp (former) - Willamette National Forest OR
    A Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) side camp, also known as spike camp, operated at Fish Lake in the Willamette National Forest during the from 1934 to 1939. Side or spike camps allowed the CCC to locate its workers closer to their job sites on special projects and forest fighting. In the case of the Fish Lake CCC camp, workers from CCC Camp Mary Creek (Company 2907) and CCC Camp Belknap (Company 927) were moved to the area during the construction season to improve the operation of the Fish Lake Guard Station for its packing operation. This involved building additional corral space...
  • Fish Lake Remount Depot/Fish Lake Guard Station Historic District - Willamette National Forest OR
    By constructing several buildings and the necessary facilities for management of mules and horses, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers played an integral role in  transforming the Fish Lake Guard Station into the Fish Lake Remount Depot. To operate in the rough terrain of the surrounding national forest and nearby wilderness areas, the Forest Service depended on pack animals. The CCC located a side camp at Fish Lake from 1934 - 1939 to improve the Depot for this purpose while assisting in fire fighting and development of recreation opportunities in the Willamette National Forest as well. In 2016, the Fish Lake Remount...
  • Flood Control and Range Conservation - Grand County UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was quite active in Grand County, Utah.  Four CCC camps were established in and around Moab, the county seat.  The first was the Warner Lake Camp, F-20, in 1933 under the US Forest Service, which also ran camp PE-214.  These camps worked principally on road construction and flood control on Mill Creek.   The biggest and longest lived of the CCC camps in the county was the Dalton Wells Camp, DG-32, running from 1935 to 1941.  That camp operated under the Division of Grazing of the General Land Office (predecessor of the Bureau of Land Management), working around...
  • Forest Service Vista Grande Fire Station - Banning CA
    A manned fire station in the San Bernardino National Park. The supervisor said that the site was once a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp. However, no structures from the original camp survive except for a crumbling square concrete foundation near the outdoor workout area.
  • Fort Winfield Scott: CCC Training and Supply Facilities - San Francisco CA
    Fort Winfield Scott served as a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) training and supply facility. Between 1933 and 1939, Fort Mason, which was under Fort Scott’s command, was the supply center for the several hundred CCC camps on the Pacific Coast. Fort Winfield Scott was also the first stop for CCC rookies. Here, they received their enrollment certificates and standard-issue equipment, and did their first drills, before moving on to camps throughout California. Included in this entry are primary source materials from artist Leon Bibel, who was enrolled and discharged from the CCC at Fort Winfield Scott. The materials include Bibel’s CCC...
  • Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge - Fort Worth TX
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) is primarily responsible for building the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge (FWNC&R) which is located just inside the city limits of Fort Worth, TX. CCC Company 1816, Lake Worth Camp SP-31-T served in this area from 1934-1938. It's projects planned and supervised by the National Park Service included roads, bridges, bridle paths, nature trails, picnic areas and stone shelter houses.
  • Foster Field Camp Co. 130 SP2 - Millinocket ME
    CCC 130th Company Baxter State Park: Foster Field (Millinocket Maine) (June 1934 – October 1934) Excerpt from Schlenker, In The Public Interest: On June 1, 1934, the 130th Co. moved from Alfred to Baxter State Park and Mt. Katahdin. Field work was placed under the State Park Service, and Forestry #SP2 was assigned to this camp. At Mt. Katahdin, the work was recreational, including the building of trails, camp sites, cabins and dams. In a newspaper article by Kenneth Fuller Lee, dated October 7, 1934, the significance of the 130th Co. stay at Baxter Park is described. “Last June the boys of the 130th Co....
  • General Butler State Park (Butler Memorial Park) - Carrollton KY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built a camp, dam, stone overlook, and other structures in General Butler State Park (Butler Memorial Park) in Carrollton KY.
  • Geneva State Park: CCC Camp Co. No. 2421 SP - Geneva AL
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Co. No. 2421 SP was created at Geneva State Forest in what was previously cleat-cut land, part of a land holding of timberlands owned by the Jackson Lumber Company. The lumber company donated the land to the State of Alabama instead of paying property taxes on land they could no longer exploit.  The Geneva State Forest was originally known as C.C.C. Co. No. 2421, SP-1. The camp was under the leadership of Captain M.G. Denton. According to Robert Pasquill, Jr. book, The Civilian Conservation Corps in Alabama, 1933-1942: A Great and Lasting Good the C.C.C. Co. No. 2421...
  • Gifford Woods State Park - Killington VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Vermont's Gifford Woods State Park during the 1930s. "Development of Gifford Woods State Park began in 1933 by the Civilian Conservation Corps ...  In 1933 and 1934, CCC crews constructed the park office and ranger’s quarters, picnic area, stone restroom building, trails, the park entrance and parking area. In 1939 the CCC constructed a camping area."
  • Grand Teton National Park - WY
    "Camps were set up at several locations in the valley, at Leigh Lake, Lizard Point, and "Hot Springs" near Colter Bay. In 1934, Camp NP-4, the most prominent camp, was built at the south end of Jenny Lake. CCC crews manned this camp through 1942. Civilian Conservation Corps laborers worked on a variety of projects. The Superintendent's Report for August 1936 listed the following: landscaping headquarters; improvement and development of a campground at Jenny Lake; construction of fireplaces; construction of barriers at Jenny Lake campground; construction of table and bench combinations at Jenny Lake; construction of permanent employees' dwellings headquarters; extension...
  • Green Lakes State Park - Fayetteville NY
    "During the Great Depression (1929-1939), the New York State Department of Conservation (under the administration of then-governor Franklin Delano Roosevelt) and later the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the park's roads, buildings, cabins, golf course and trails. CCC camps for project SP-12 were created on the property of the park. CCC company 1203, and subsequently 2211 (a company of veterans of the 1898 Spanish–American War), were assigned to the project. These men hauled loads of sand from Sylvan Beach (on nearby Oneida Lake) to create a sandy beach; they dug the basements of the park buildings by hand. The CCC...
  • Green Mountain National Forest - VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Green Mountain National Forest in Vermont during the 1930s. "The Depression-era legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps (established in 1933 as part of Roosevelt’s “New Deal”) is reflected on the Forest. At one time during the 1930's there were 5 active CCC camps on the Forest (Mt Tabor, Weston, Peru, West River and Rochester).  The men at these camps built roads, trails and campgrounds, fought fires, planted trees and generally established much of the infrastructure of the early National Forest. Today a few of the buildings and many of the features, travel ways and landscapes...
  • Griffith Park: CCC Camps (former) – Los Angeles CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed three camps at Griffith Park in Los Angeles, CA, where they were stationed to carry out extensive improvements. The three camps, journalist Carren Jao writes, were "SP-13, which eventually was never used; SP-21, more commonly known as Camp Griffith Park and was visited by President and First Lady Roosevelt; and SP-40, which would eventually be occupied by Travel Town. All three sites would disappear from the park. The first was destroyed by fire of October 3, 1933. The latter two were dismantled as soon as CCC work in Griffith Park was deemed complete or near...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7