The Wandering Raven House Entrance Pole is the central totem that decorates the façade and marks the entrance of the clan house at Totem Bight. A 2013 Department of Natural Resources, Master Development Plan for Totem Bight describes the characteristics… read more
The Tumacácori National Monument was set aside by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1908 to protect the ruins of the Mission of San Jose de Tumacacori. In 1918, it came under the administration of the National Park Service and its regional… read more
The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior building contains one of the largest collections of New Deal art in Washington DC, by some of the finest American artists of the time. Two statues in exterior Court EE, outside the… read more
These two limestone sculptures “Asclepius” and “Hygeia” were created by Edouard Chassaing in 1938 with the help of WPA Federal Art Project funds.
This 3’6″ x 5′ sculpture entitled the “Spirit of Medicine Warding Off Disease” was created with Federal Art Project funds and has been relocated multiple times.
Two 4′ high classical style sculptures flank the entrance to Grawemeyer Hall. They were built in 1939 with WPA Federal Art Project funding. The artist is unknown.
From the New Deal Art Registry: “At the Valencia Gardens Housing Project, Beniamino Bufano’s glistening statue of a mother bear nursing two cubs, in smooth red granite, is a joy to the eye. Nearby are two granite seals, a granite… read more
“At the Valencia Gardens Housing Project, Bufano’s glistening statue of a mother bear nursing two cubs, in smooth red granite, is a joy to the eye. Nearby are two granite seals, a granite cat with a mouse, and a granite… read more
The Washington at Valley Forge memorial is an equestrian statue of George Washington (1732–1799), Commander in Chief and first President of the United States (1789–97), sculpted by Henry Merwin Shrady in 1901. It is the centerpiece of Brooklyn’s Continental… read more
This bust of Washington Irving has an interesting history: “In the late 1800s to early 1900s, a large bronze bust of Washington Irving, mounted on a granite pedestal, stood in the south side of Bryant Park. The author of “Sleepy… read more
This large bronze and marble memorial in Bryant Park commemorates the 19th c. poet and journalist William Cullen Bryant. The statue was created by Herbert Adams in 1911. In the 1930s, the it was restored with federal funding under Karl… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carved the Yax-te Totem, as part of a restoration program that lasted approximately between 1938 and 1942. The program was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service effort to employ Alaska Natives and conserve totems and… read more