Tom E. Lewis painted this mural “Forest Genetics” in 1941 for the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. As the result of building renovations, the mural is no longer viewable in public view.
Artist R. W. R. Taylor painted several panels depicting “Scenes of Indian Life” in 1937 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. The painting is fresco on celotex. There were originally 11 panels painted for the El Monte Public… read more
“The Art Gallery, also on the second floor” of the main branch of the Erie Public Library housed, among other works, “Two interesting paintings by Harry Klopp, done under the WPA Federal Art Project, are Robin Hood and The Pied… read more
This 1940 oil on canvas “Autumn Wisconsin Landscape” by Ethel Spears was originally painted for the Hartford post office. It is now located in the Schauer Arts & Activities Center.
“In 1928, Clarence Hatzfeld, a member of the park board and architect of many northwest side recreational, commercial, and residential buildings, designed a Tudor Revival-style fieldhouse for the park. A stone grotto and fountain originally graced the front of the… read more
Thomas Laman painted these two egg tempera on canvas murals for the Eureka post office and courthouse, which was sold to a private entity in 2002. Previously, “Mining and Forestry” hung behind the judge’s bench, and “Water and Land” on… read more
An enormous mural called The Evolution of Western Civilization is located in the library of the former Evander Childs High School. The Federal Arts Project (FAP) of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) commissioned the mural cycle in 1935 and it was completed… read more
This limestone sculpture “Flood Control” by Karl Lang was created for the F. Edward Herbert Federal Building with Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds. It still graces the southeastern corner of the building.
This marble eagle statue — one of four at the entrances to the F. Edward Herbert Federal Building — was produced with Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds by Gifford Proctor.
This limestone sculpture “Harvesting Sugar Cane” by Armin Scheler was created for the F. Edward Hebert Federal Building and paid for with Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds. It still graces the northeastern flank of the building.
The Fairport Historical Museum houses an example of New Deal artwork commissioned by the federal Works Progress Administration. “In 1937, Rochester’s WPA art project was called “the most interesting and effective outside of New York City” by the regional director… read more
This statue of the Franciscan missionary, Father Junipero Serra was commissioned by the WPA in 1935. John Palo Kangas made the statue out of concrete. The original concrete deteriorated over time. In 1989, the original was placed in storage and… read more
Originally built as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse and now the Federal Building and Courthouse, the building was completed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project with Treasury Department funding in 1935. “Commissioned by the Treasury Department Section… read more
The historic former Federal Building and Post Office in Phoenix, Arizona houses examples of New Deal artwork. In 1937 the U.S. Treasury’s Section of Fine Arts commissioned artist La Verne Nelson Black to create two murals for the east wing… read more
Jacob Getlar Smith painted three oil-on-canvas murals for the Main Street Maude R. Toulson Federal Building and Post Office in 1939: “Salisbury,” “Stage at Byrd’s Inn” and “Cotton Patch.” From an onsite plaque: “Jacob Getlar Smith was born February 3,… read more
“Justice Tempered with Mercy (Uphold the Right, Prevent the Wrong)” by Emil Bisttram was originally installed in the courthouse at Roswell, NM. It was painted with Treasury Relief Art Project funds in 1936 and moved to its present location in… read more
“The Pueblo Rebellion of 1680” was painted by Loren Mozley in 1936 with Federal Art Project funds and restored in 1996.
The United States Courthouse in Columbia, TN, formerly the post office, is home to Sidney Waugh’s 1941 limestone sculpture, entitled “American Eagle,” and Henry Billings’s 1942 oil on canvas mural, entitled “Maury County Landscape.” Both were completed with funds provided… read more
“The most significant interior space is the original federal district courtroom on the first floor. This room retains its original stained walnut wainscot and benches, and features an oil-on-canvas mural titled ‘Alaskan Landscape’ behind the judge’s bench. The mural was… read more