The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior building contains one of the largest collections of New Deal art in Washington DC by some of the finest American artists of the time. The Department of Interior Museum organizes tours by… read more
The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior building contains one of the largest collections of New Deal art in Washington DC by some of the finest American artists of the time. Millard Sheets produced a four-panel, oil-on-canvas mural, “The… read more
The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior building contains one of the largest collections of New Deal art in Washington DC, by some of the finest American artists of the time. Two large bas-relief panels are mounted on either… read more
The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior building contains one of the largest collections of New Deal art in Washington DC, by some of the finest American artists of the time. Gifford Beal painted “Tropical Country” and “North Country”… read more
The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior building contains one of the largest collections of New Deal art in Washington DC, by some of the finest American artists of the time. Maynard Dixon painted “Themes of the Bureau of… read more
This 8′ x 12′ mural “Map of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign” was painted by Rainey Bennett in 1938, with the help of Federal Art Project funds.
These two limestone sculptures “Asclepius” and “Hygeia” were created by Edouard Chassaing in 1938 with the help of WPA Federal Art Project funds.
This mural of oil washes and casein tempera on multiple glass panes depicts “The History of Anatomy.” It was painted by artists Rainey Bennett and Ralph Graham with the help of Federal Art Project funds in 1938. It was restored… read more
The “Great Men of Medicine” depicted in this New Deal fresco of nine 1′ x 1′ panels include Pare (shown in photo), Pasteur, Darwin, Lister, Jenner, Koch, Virchow, Melpighi, and Harvey. The frescoes were painted by Edwin Boyd Johnson in… read more
This mosaic mural “Signs of the Zodiac and Heavenly Bodies” was created by John Stephan in 1936 with the help of WPA Federal Art Project funds.
This 3’6″ x 5′ sculpture entitled the “Spirit of Medicine Warding Off Disease” was created with Federal Art Project funds and has been relocated multiple times.
In 1937, Jefferson League painted five murals for the College of Pharmacy depicting “The Story of Natural Drugs”: “Digitalis,” “Opium,” “Cinchona,” “Quinine” and “Coca and Peyote.” The murals were funded by the WPA Federal Art Project.
“The Henriques room was originally the Academy library, and is now used for special gatherings and award ceremonies. Aldis Browne, graduate of Yale School of Fine Arts, worked for the U.S. Treasury [Relief Art] Program during the Great Depression and… read more
Cleveland’s historic University Center Station post office houses one of many examples of New Deal artwork commissioned for northeast Ohio post offices. Commissioned by the federal Treasury Relief Art Project, this multi-panel mural was created by John Csosz and completed… read more
The mural “The Louisiana Purchase Exposition” was painted by Trew Hocker. The New Deal artwork was installed in the lobby of St. Louis’s University City Station post office and is still visible today.
This 1′ x 3.5′ cast-concrete sculpture of an owl was produced with the help of the WPA Federal Art Project. The artist is unknown.
Helen Bruton completed this 10′ by 20′ mosaic “Sculpture and Dance” in 1936 for the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project. It is located on the east exterior of the old University Art Building.
These two Byzantine-style mosaic murals by Helen Bruton and F. Alston Swift were installed in 1936, two years after the Art Gallery opened. They are located on the eastern facade, flanking the building’s double entrance. Each mural measures 18′ by… read more
Florence Alston Swift completed this 10′ by 20′ mosaic “Music and Painting” for the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project in 1936. It is located on the east exterior of old University Art Building.
Two 4′ high classical style sculptures flank the entrance to Grawemeyer Hall. They were built in 1939 with WPA Federal Art Project funding. The artist is unknown.
“Three New Hampshire artists were hired to paint a series of murals for the University Library [then the Hamilton Smith Library]. These murals were painted under direction of Omer T. Lassonde, State Supervisor of the New Hampshire WPA Art Project…. read more
This series of six large murals entitled the “Cycle of Science” was created for the old UNM Library in 1934 with funding from the PWAP. The murals depict, respectively, “Astronomy,” “Engineering,” “Chemistry,” “Biology,” “Physics,” and “Mathematics.” The series was designed to… read more
This series of six murals by Willard Nash was designed for the old UNM Library and completed with PWAP funds in 1934. The murals “originally hung for five years opposite six Raymond Jonson murals in Zimmerman Library. These two sets… read more
“Albuquerque is home to scores of WPA buildings and works. Among the most prolific are the following- … John Gaw Meem designed both S[h]coles Hall and Zimmerman Library on the campus of the University of New Mexico (the corner of… read more
Murals were covered over in the 1960s and rediscovered in 2010. Medium: oil on canvas Size: 6 murals Restoration Info: The murals were rediscovered during restoration funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2010.
Several New Deal murals were painted for URI’s Green Hall (the library and administration building), but they have since been lost.
Edwards Hall contains six murals painted by Gino Conti, located in Edwards Hall, the main auditorium of the University of Rhode Island. The murals were created in 1941 under the WPA’s Federal Art Project. They were covered over with sheetrock… read more
The Burlington-born artist Raymond Pease was commissioned by the Public Works of Art Program to paint a mural at Perkins Hall at the University of Vermont. The mural was covered with drywall during renovations in 1992. It was rediscovered in… read more
James Watrous painted a tempera-on-gesso mural cycle consisting of nine 6′ tall panels, called “The Story of Paul Bunyan,” in the UW Memorial Student Union. The works were painted in 1935 with funds provided by the federal government, and given the… read more
The Wyoming Union [student union] building on the University of Wyoming campus in Laramie houses a striking example of New Deal artwork created by Lynn Faucett for the then-recently completed building. “Among the last of the WPA murals done in… read more
Multiple Section of Fine Arts murals hang in Seattle’s University Station post office. The murals by Jacob Elshin were painted in 1939 and are entitled Historical Review of Education and Present Day Education and Present Day Education. The murals are… read more
Mitchell Jamieson painted the mural “Tobacco Cutters” in 1938 for the Treasury Section of Fine Arts to hang in the former Upper Marlboro post office. The building is now the Upper Marlboro branch of the Prince George’s County public library…. read more
From the New Deal Art Registry: “At the Valencia Gardens Housing Project, Beniamino Bufano’s glistening statue of a mother bear nursing two cubs, in smooth red granite, is a joy to the eye. Nearby are two granite seals, a granite… read more
“At the Valencia Gardens Housing Project, Bufano’s glistening statue of a mother bear nursing two cubs, in smooth red granite, is a joy to the eye. Nearby are two granite seals, a granite cat with a mouse, and a granite… read more
Bartholume Mako created two artworks for the auditorium foyer of Ventura High School in Ventura CA. One is a 12-foot high plaster sculpture titled “Roman Goddess” and the other is a 15 x 6-foot plaster frieze called “Roman Scene.” They… read more