Belle Baranceanu was painted two oil on canvas murals at Balboa Park in 1935, paid for with federal funding: “Progress of Man” and “Education and Culture”. She rushed to complete the later for the 1935-1936 California Pacific International Exposition and… read more
This 4′ high Indiana limestone sculpture and fountain by Donal Hord is titled “Woman of Tehuantepec” and is located in the courtyard of the House of Hospitality at San Diego’s Balboa Park.
The largest portion of Lynn Fausett’s WPA-funded Barrier Canyon mural hangs at the back of the entry hall of the University of Utah Museum of Natural History at the eastern flank of the University of Utah campus (a smaller portion… read more
This building was originally the Textile High School, then the Straubenmuller Textile High School, then the Charles Evans Hughes High School, before eventually assuming its current title as the Bayard Rustin Educational Complex. It is now an NYC “vertical campus”… read more
The historic Baytown Historical Museum building (formerly Federal Building / post office) houses an example of New Deal artwork: “Texas,” a fresco mural by Barse Miller. The mural was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It was restored… read more
This 1940 oil-on-canvas mural by George Goethke covers all 4 walls of the kindergarten room of Baywood Elementary School (formerly the George Hall School).
The Beach Chalet contains several New Deal artworks, including this set of monochrome frescoes by Lucien Labaudt located in the stairwell and corridor to the restrooms. The frescoes were painted in 1937 under the WPA’s Federal Art Project.
“San Francisco Life”, painted by Lucien Labaudt, is a fresco covering three walls of the dining room. The mural depicts four San Francisco tourist locales: the beach, Golden Gate Park, Fisherman’s Wharf, and the Marina. Recognizable figures of the time… read more
This oil-on-canvas mural by Grace Greenwood, entitled “The Progress of Power,” was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts and completed in 1940. It is housed in the Beech River Heritage Museum, which is the former post office.
In the late 1930s Emilio Amero completed work on the mural entitled “Tropical and Hudson Valley Vegetation,” for the entrance lobby in the new Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital. It was one of over a dozen murals painted by artists for the… read more
In 1936 Luis Arenal and his assistant completed work on the mural entitled “North American Tropical Vegetation,” for the First Lobby Stairway of the new Psychiatric Building at Bellevue Hospital. It was one of over a dozen murals painted by artists… read more
In the late 1930s Lily Furedi painted the mural entitled “Simple Way of Life” for the women’s large occupational therapy room in the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital, It was one of over a dozen murals painted by artists for the building with… read more
In the late 1930s, Axel Horn and an assistant, George Brodsky, who was a veteran of the Lincoln Battalion, completed work on the mural entitled “Industrial Landscape” for the first floor waiting room in the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital…. read more
In 1936 and 1937 William Karp painted a mural entitled “Normal Pursuits of Man” for the occupational therapy exhibition room in the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital. It was one of over a dozen murals painted by artists for the psychiatric… read more
“Materials of Relaxation,” by David Margolis was one of over a dozen murals that the Federal Art Project arm of the Works Progress Administration commissioned for the Psychiatric Building at Bellevue Hospital in the mid and late 1930s. “Materials of Relaxation”… read more
In 1937 Walter Quirt completed work on the mural entitled The Growth of Medicine from Primitive Times for the doctor’s lounge room of the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital. Quirt was one of over a dozen artists commissioned by the Federal Art… read more
In the mid 1930s, Agnes Tait completed work on the mural entitled “Summer Holiday” for the women’s recreation room in the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital. Tait was one of over a dozen artists commissioned by the Federal Art Project arm of… read more
The Farm Security Administration commissioned this mural in 1937-38 to commemorate the New Deal resettlement community of Jersey Homesteads, now called Roosevelt, N.J. The mural can still be seen in the Roosevelt Public School. “Ben Shahn’s mural for the community… read more
“The Legend of El Diablo” “…is an oil painting on masonite done by Clarkson Dye (FAP/WPA Project #7754). It measures 42-1/4″ x 52-1/2″ and hangs in the second floor legislative meeting room. Originally this painting was installed at Mt. Diablo… read more
The school contains two WPA architectural sculptures “Girls Physical Education” and “Sower and Reaper.”
Benjamin Franklin Middle School in Norwalk, Connecticut houses two 15′ x 11′ oil on canvas murals by Harry Townsend, titled “Work, the Soul of Progress” and “Arrival of the First Settlers.” They were painted in 1938 for the building, then… read more