“The Milwaukee Theatre is home to nine murals by the WPA artist Thorsten Lindberg. He was an accomplished artistic craftsman, nationally recognized for his technical skill in watercolor. Much of Lindberg’s work dating from the 1930s and early ‘40s features… read more
This building was originally the post office, but then was repurposed as the Mineola Historical Museum. The oil-on-canvas mural by Bernard Zakheim, entitled “New and Old Methods of Transportation,” was funded by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. From Art… read more
The WPA approached the Mississippi state government to put painters to work during the Great Depression. Taking color cues from mosaic tiles in the Senate chamber, the WPA painted, among other areas, details of the main rotunda dome. After a… read more
Two New Deal murals by Stevan Dohanos: “New Deal mural entitled “Mining Village” painte by Stevan Dohanos in 1939. The mural was slated to be installed in the Huntingdon post office but the locals deemed it too depressing. It was… read more
The building contains six bas reliefs by WPA artist Joan van Breeman: “The six bas reliefs in the back rooms were made by Joan van Breeman and depict children at play. Girls on swings or spinning globes, young men charging… read more
A 2004 New York Times article by Seth Kugel describes a “…metallic-looking mural of four chiseled men working on an oil rig… affixed to the back wall of a dank, cluttered storage room under a school library in Soundview, the… read more
With the help of FAP funds, Jo Mora completed a number of decorative bas relief plaques for the Monterey County Courthouse.
Jo Mora produced twenty three different cast-concrete portraits (approximately 12″ x 18″ in size) for the Monterey County Courthouse, including a Spanish woman, an Asian woman, an Indian man and woman, John Fremont, Junipero Serra, and various pioneers.
Jo Mora created five concrete scenes for the Monterey County Courthouse as well as a symbolic figure over the front entrance with FAP funds.
Gus Gay painted this mural for the Federal Art Project. “His mural for Monterey High School uses his characteristic late palette, strong on deep cerulean blue and chalky reds and pinks. The solid forms and simple architectural backgrounds reveal Gay’s… read more
These two wood carvings by Remo Scardigli were originally in the old library, and moved to this one when the building was replaced. The 2-1/2' x 8' oak wood carving "Monterey Fisherman" is located on the main floor. The 33"… read more
From the Livingston County New Deal Art Gallery website: “The Murray Hill site was visited by Eleanor Roosevelt and chosen for the Mount Morris Tuberculosis Sanatorium when FDR was Governor of New York… The sanatorium opened in 1936 and operated… read more
In 1934, Aurelius Battaglia painted two murals for the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood library, “Animal Circus” and “Animal Orchestra.” They occupy two reading alcoves off the Children’s Room to this day. Funding was provided by the Public Works of Art Project… read more
The Kansas City Municipal Auditorium facade is decorated with three bas relief carved medallions depicting classic themes. The medallions were created by Albert Stewart in 1934 as part of the PWA construction project. Albert Stewart was born in Kensington, England,… read more
Two Civil Works Administration murals were installed at the Municipal Auditorium Murals in San Antonio TX. Titled, “Texas Basket Maker Indians at their Daily Tasks,” the murals were painted by Harry Anthony De Young and Gilbert F. Neumann. The murals for… read more
The oil-on-canvas mural “From Timber to Agriculture” was painted for the historic Heber Springs post office, now municipal building. “Louis Freund was commissioned for $660 to create a mural for Heber Springs, Arkansas. He visited the town and decided to… read more
In 1936, with funding from the Works Progress Administration (WPA), Vera Achen painted the background to an exhibit for the “Seneca Collection” at the Rochester Museum of Arts and Sciences (now the Rochester Museum and Science Center, RMSC). Most of… read more
Emmanuel Viviano created these ceramic tile lunettes with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. Located at Nancy Hill School in Aurora IL, the four ceramic tile lunettes are signed by Emmanuel Vivianno. The four lunettes are: Deer, Dear and… read more
Edward Buk Ulreich painted two murals for the Columbia, Missouri, post office in 1937: “Indians Watching Stagecoach in the Distance” and “Pony Express.” He was paid $1,580 for his murals, commissioned by the Department of the Treasury’s Section of Painting… read more
The exterior of the National Archives is graced by sculptures, bas-reliefs and inscriptions. The building above ground was completed under the New Deal by the Treasury Department Office of Procurement, including the sculptures. Congress originally approved a new home for… read more