An eight panel mural by African America artist Vertis C. Hayes, entitled “Pursuit of Happiness,” was commissioned for Harlem Hospital Center with funding from the WPA’s Federal Arts Project. The mural, which was completed 1937, “…traces the African diaspora from 18th-century African… read more
In 1937 Elba Lightfoot completed this mural, entitled “Toy Parade,” for the Harlem Hospital Center with funding from the WPA’s Federal Arts Program. It was one the first major federal commissions to be awarded to African-Americans. The hospital initially rejected… read more
Below is a photograph that shows Georgette Seabrooke at work on her mural entitled “Recreation in Harlem” for the nurses’ recreation room at Harlem Hospital Center. She made the mural with funding from the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project (WPA/FAP). The WPA commissioned… read more
This 22′ x 5′ mural “Transportation” was painted by William Henning in 1935 with PWAP funds. It was restored in 2011.
“New Deal art was also installed in the Florida Keys. The two primary sculptors were Joan van Breeman and Lambert Bemelman. One of Bemelman’s pieces is still extant at the Hurricane Memorial at Mile Marker 81.5. Van Breeman created a… read more
With WPA support, Cal Peters painted several murals for the University of Wisconsin-Stout campus, circa 1935-1936. This mural “Learning, Industry, Skill and Honor” is a 5′ x 40′ oil on canvas. The central figure appears to be “Wisdom” dispensing the… read more
After a design by Edgar Taylor, craftspeople Mary Henry, Norval Gill, and Robert Spray completed this mural, entitled “Medieval Scene,” in 1938 with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project. It is in the main stairwell of… read more
Several artists collaborated to create this beautiful stained glass window for Herbert Hoover Middle School. A description (pictured below) of the window by participating artist Norval L. Gill includes the following: "Mary Dill Henry, Robert E. Spray and Norval L…. read more
The Works Progress Administration’s (WPA’s) Federal Art Project commissioned a set of five murals for the auditorium of what was then known as Hicksville Junior-Senior High School (now Hicksville Middle School), on Jerusalem Ave. WPAMurals.com: “These murals were done by… read more
Seven New Deal murals covering 1,000 square feet, were commissioned in 1934 for the Stamford, Connecticut High School’s music room. They were painted under the auspices of the Treasury by James Daughtery (1887-1974), a well known modernist painter and illustrator…. read more
Artist James Michael Newell painted this large multi-panel mural with WPA Federal Arts Project funding in 1938. The murals depict the “Evolution of Western Civilization.” The murals begin with “primitive man building his society” and end with scenes from 1930s… read more
The High School of Fashion Industries (formerly the Central High School of Needle Trades) is a New Deal building, which contains a well-known mural by Ernest Fiene. It is commonly believed to be a WPA Arts Project mural, but Gerald… read more
This oil-on-canvas mural “Scenes of Industry” by Edward Britton was painted in 1934. It was removed from the old building in 1955, put in storage, and reinstalled in 1955.
The PWAP funded “nine murals titled “Scenes of Industry” at Highland Park High School in Highland Park, Illinois. The murals were painted on board by Edgar Britton in 1934. The building was torn down and replaced. No one knew about… read more
In front of the Mackinac Island Courthouse and Police Department building is one of many “incredibly detailed, two-sided oak signs showing scenes of the island’s heritage,” that were hand-carved by WPA artisans. As of 2017 this example, created by J. W…. read more
On display at the second floor of the Soldiers’ Barracks of Fort Mackinac is one of many “incredibly detailed, two-sided oak signs showing scenes of the island’s heritage,” that were hand-carved by WPA artisans. This example, “Built 1829 // Presbyterian Mission… read more
Located inside The Richard & Jane Manoogian Mackinac Art Museum is one of many “incredibly detailed, two-sided oak signs showing scenes of the island’s heritage,” that were hand-carved by WPA artisans. This example, “Retail Store // American Fur Co // 1818 –… read more
On display at the Stuart House City Museum on Mackinac Island are four (or possibly five) of what were many “incredibly detailed, two-sided oak signs showing scenes of the island’s heritage,” that were hand-carved by WPA artisans. As of 2017 the… read more
"The Historical Center for Southeast New Mexico houses four bronze busts done by John Raymond Terken in 1937. The busts are of prominent Roswell citizens John S. Chisum, Joseph C. Lea, John J. Hagerman, and Amelia Bolton Church." -New Mexico… read more
Dorr Bothwell painted this mural “Youth and Democracy” in 1938 with WPA Federal Art Project funding for the Hollenbeck Junior High School, also a New Deal project. From a 1965 oral history interview with Bothwell: MS. BOTHWELL: That was just… read more
This sculpture “Muse of Music, Dance, Drama” is actually a fountain, created by artist George Stanley. Medium: concrete and granite Size: 200′ l x 22′ h Restoration Info: Restored and re-landscaped in 2006. “The Streamline Moderne-style fountain was built in… read more
This wood relief “Horseman” by Gordon Newell and Sherry Peticolas depicts a man leading two horses. It was funded by the Treasury Relief Art Project in 1937.