Ralph Stackpole’s 5’6″ x 27′ fresco “Contemporary Education” in the Washington High School library was completed in 1936 with FAP funds.
In 1936, the Federal Writers’ Project (FWP) hired Roswell, New Mexico resident Georgia B. Redfield, an unemployed writer of local history, to collect stories and facts on her community. Like thousands of writers, editors, researchers and clerical workers on relief… read more
Caroline Speare Rohland completed this 5′ x 13′ mural, entitled “Spring,” in 1941 with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project (WPA-FAP). “The mural was originally in the Sylvania GA post office. It was removed in 1980… read more
This Glendale Junior College fountain “Memorial to C.A. Nelson” is by Robert Boag. Created out of small tiles, it is about five feet tall and has three tiers. The bottom shows an ocean scene, the middle prehistoric villagers, and the… read more
Petrachrome table and benches at Glendale Junior College. Round table and benches by Jane Mussy. Straight memorial bench artist unknown.
Though there is some uncertainly about the artist and original location of this mural, it was painted with the help of FAP funds.
Frederick Mulhaupt painted “DeChamplain Surveys Le Beauport” and “Landing of Dorchester Colonists–1623” in 1936 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. The murals were originally installed at the old Central Grammar School.
Gloucester City Hall contains several paintings by Charles Allan Winter. “The Founding of Gloucester” was painted in 1934, with funding from an unknown federal agency. “Education” was painted in 1935 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. It was… read more
Two bas-relief concrete sculptures by Jesse S. "Vet" Anderson (1875-1966), overlooking the WPA funded Golden Gate Park Horseshoe Pits.
This public outdoor sculpture “Penguin’s Prayer” of three penguins is situated in the Golden Gateway Center at the intersection of Davis Street and Jackson Street in San Francisco, CA. It was created by Beniamino Bufano with WPA funding. The three… read more
In addition to “Science,” a large New Deal mural, ENMU’s Golden library is the home of several smaller commissioned (“portable”) examples of New Deal paintings, including: Gene Kloss: “Penitente Friday” and “Acoma” Stuart Walker: “Black and White Sawmill” and “Abstract” Cady Wells: “Mesas”… read more
The abstract mural titled “Science,” by Raymond Jonson, was funded by the WPA’s Federal Art Project. It is in ENMU’s Golden Library. Nearby, the university’s administration building houses this mural’s twin, titled “Art”. Flynn: They were planned as a pair, with the aim… read more
Then known as the Welfare Hospital for Chronic Disease, this hospital on New York’s Roosevelt Island opened in 1939. The hospital soon received three rare 7 x 50 foot WPA murals by Ilya Bolotowsky (1907-1981), Joseph Rugolo (1911-1983) and Albert… read more
In 1936, Abram Champanier painted a large, multi-panel mural, entitled “Alice in Wonderland,” in the children’s ward of the old Gouverneur Hospital on Water Street, with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The oil-on-canvas murals were all seven feet high, of varying widths, with subjects… read more
U.S. Government Publishing Office Warehouse (also known as Building No. 4) is graced on the exterior by four bas-relief sculptures commissioned by the New Deal’s Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The original name of this office complex was the US Government… read more
In addition to WPA improvements made around Governors Island, “a mural in the Administration Building, depicting scenes from six American wars, was painted by artists of the Federal Art Project.” The Administration Building is better known today as Pershing Hall…. read more
This dramatic arch in Brooklyn’s Grand Army Plaza was created by architect John Hemingway Duncan in 1889-1892. The statuary on the arch was added over the next several years, by several different artists including William Rudolf O’Donovan (men), Thomas Eakins… read more
“In Silver City, the PWA built Sixth Street School, the old James Stadium at WNMU, and the now-gone Western High School and Hillcrest Hospital buildings. The WPA constructed miles of local sidewalks and also funded the historic murals in the… read more
“This large bronze equestrian statue by William Ordway Partridge (1861-1930) depicts Civil War General and 18th United States President Ulysses Simpson Grant (1822-1885). Though Grant’s reputation was tarnished after serving as President amidst one of the most corrupt administrations in… read more
Gustaf Dahlstrom’s panel oil-on-plaster mural “Flora and Fauna,” as well two carved wood bas relief sculptures: “Wild Animals” and “Farm Animals” (artist unknown) were each completed in 1938 with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project. The… read more
Anton Refregier’s first mural assignment under the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project (WPA-FAP) in the 1930s was to paint a mural for the children’s ward at Greenpoint Hospital in Brooklyn. Joining the WPA rolls allowed him to get off… read more
From 1939 to 1940 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements and built additions to Gresham High School in Gresham, Oregon, just east of Portland. The additions included a gym, an agricultural building, the north wing of the classrooms, and an auditorium. Michael Schaefer, Gresham… read more
The Astronomer’s Monument is one of L. Archibald Garner’s well-known public works. It was completed in 1934 with PWAP support. It pays homage to six great astronomers: Hipparchus, Nicolas Copernicus, Galileo Galilei, Johannes Kepler, Isaac Newton, and William Herschel. Although… read more
“Born in Finland, Kangas was himself an enrollee of the Civilian Conservation Corps and originally created this figure, a young man stripped to the waist holding a shovel, for the CCC camp at Griffith Park.” – http://www.ccclegacy.org/iron_mike_history.htm The original statue… read more
The historic Gwen B. Giles Station post office—also known as Wellston Station (prior to a Congressional renaming)—in St. Louis, Missouri contains a 1939 Section of Fine Arts mural by Lumen Winter entitled “Old Levee and Market at St. Louis.” The… read more
This oil on canvas mural “Early Farmers” by Karl Kelpe, and a companion piece (“Pioneers”), were originally in the main entrance of the old Julian School building. They were painted in 1936 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project…. read more
This oil on canvas mural, entitled “Child and Sports–Summer” was painted by Ethel Spears in 1937. It is a companion piece to “Child and Sports–Winter” at the Percy Julian Middle School. Both murals were originally installed at the Lowell School…. read more
“The third project which Louis Schanker completed while in the Mural Division of the WPA was for the Hall of Medicine and Public Health Building at the New York [W]orld’s Fair (1939-1940). Large sharply angled geometric shapes are the background… read more
Almost fifty years after he painted this mural, Alfred Crimi reflected on its origins and later developments: “Most gratifying was the honor I received from the City of Northampton, Massachusetts, in the fall of 1980. In 1940 I had painted… read more
Harlem Hospital murals include two 1940 pieces by Charles Alston, “Magic in Medicine” and “Modern Medicine”, painted under the auspices of the Federal Arts Project of the WPA in 1936. As the New York Times notes, “Harlem Hospital’s were perhaps the first… read more
Alfred D. Crimi painted this 250-square-foot fresco, entitled Modern Surgery and Anesthesia, in 1940 for the Works Progress Administration (WPA). According to the webpage entry “Harlem Hospital WPA Murals” from Columbia University’s Institute for Research in African-American Studies, “Alfred D. Crimi,… read more