The southern face of the federal building in Peoria, Illinois, features four limestone sculptures: “Postal Service,” “Agriculture,” Industry,” and “Native Indian.” Commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, Freeman Schoolcraft completed the sculptures in 1939.
A beautiful, 16 panel mural titled “San Antonio’s Importance in History” adorns the walls of the Hipolito F. Garcia Federal Building (formerly the main U.S. Post Office) in downtown San Antonio Texas. The mural was painted by Howard Cook between… read more
Edward Laning completed a mural entitled “The Role of the Immigrant in the Industrial Development of America” in 1938 for the Dining Hall in the Administration Building on Ellis Island with funding from the WPA’s Federal Art Project. “The mural was 10 feet… read more
Section of Fine Arts mural “Tennessee Valley Authority” painted for the Huntsville post office and courthouse by Xavier Gonzalez, 1937. “The Huntsville mural was the largest and most expensive panel commissioned in Alabama and the only one placed in a… read more
This massive work is a large triptych on the second floor of the former Terre Haute Federal Building that now houses Indiana State University College of Business. The mural portrays the scene of the signing of the Magna Carta in… read more
On the week of March 8th, 1936 The Chicago Daily Tribune published an article announcing the emergence of The Federal Theatre Project at two major theaters in Chicago. The first was The Great Northern, and the second was The Blackstone… read more
The exterior of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) building is enhanced by several works of art commissioned by the Treasury Department’s Section of Fine Arts in 1938. Above the entrances are rectangular bas-relief panels that represent foreign trade, agriculture, shipping, and… read more
The exterior of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) building is enhanced by several works of art commissioned by the Treasury Department’s Section of Fine Arts in 1938. The building is fronted on the east side by two monumental sculptures, entitled… read more
The exterior of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) building is enhanced by several works of art commissioned by the Treasury Department’s Section of Fine Arts in 1938. The large, cast aluminum grilles on the Constitution Avenue entrance have six images… read more
The First Houses public housing development was constructed by the WPA in 1935. It is decorated throughout the courtyard and on the walls here and there with small animal statues and carvings. The New York Landmarks Preservation Foundation plaque at… read more
The terra cotta bas relief sculpture mounted above the front entrance to the Forest Hills Station post office on Queens Boulevard is titled, “The Spirit of Communication”. It was created by Sten Jacobson under the federal Treasury Department Section of Fine… read more
The historic U.S. Forest Service Building (now United States Department of Agriculture Building) in Elkins, West Virginia houses examples of New Deal artwork: “Forest Service” and “Mining Village,” two tempera murals by Stevan Dohanos. Completed in 1939, the works were… read more
The Civilian Conservation (CCC) helped the National Park Service reconstruct Fort Churchill in the 1930s. Fort Churchill was an 1860s army post built along the Overland Emigrant Trail, which was abandoned in 1869 when its usefulness had passed. Afterward, it… read more
“Wyoming schools also benefited from the WPA Federal Art Project [WPA/FAP], which was responsible for a number of murals painted inside the buildings. Although the list of school murals is incomplete, it includes … seven panels for the Fort Washakie… read more
This building has multiple murals, including two by Eugene Savage entitled “The Receiver of Taxes,” “The Disbursement of Tax Dollars” and an unnamed mural (all pictured here). They were created 1937, likely with funding from the Federal Art Project [confirmation needed]…. read more
One of the results of the 1936 Works Progress Administration (WPA) airport beautification project was the Four Winds fountain and bas-reliefs by sculptor Enrique Alférez. The airport, originally Shushan Airport, was renamed New Orleans Municipal Airport, and then Lakefront Airport… read more
“In 1935 the Section on Painting and Sculpture of the Treasury Department of the Federal Government announced two competitions – one for a mural painting and one for a statue to be located in two courtrooms of the newly constructed… read more
From 1939 to 1942, Portland’s Franklin High School benefitted from two different Works Progress Administration (WPA) initiatives. The first, in 1939, involved WPA workers’ construction of an athletic field as part of a larger commitment ($468,459) to the improvement of… read more
Chapel Hill’s historic Franklin Street Station Post Office houses an example of New Deal artwork: an oil-on-canvas mural entitled “Laying the Cornerstone of Old East.” Painted by Dean Cornwell, the work was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
Olive Rush painted this fresco, entitled “The Library Reaches the People,” in 1934, with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. Its current location was originally Santa Fe’s public library, and is now part of the Palace of the Governors.
“One of the primary goals of the Federal Art Project was to bring different kinds of art to the American people. Sculptor Kathleen Wilson was funded by FAP to create 12 three-foot statues representing historic priests. Local teenagers were hired… read more
This mural is located in the Louis Plummer Auditorium, at Fullerton Union High School: “A 75-foot long, 15-foot high mural entitled “Pastoral California”, painted by W.P.A. artist Charles Kassler in 1934, is found on the west side of the building… read more
This courthouse contains a series of oil murals depicting the region in the 19th century. The murals were painted by Ruth Monro Augur under the auspices of the WPAs Federal Art Program: “Ruth Munro[sic] Augur, nationally known muralist, was forced… read more
“This monumental bronze portrait bust, dedicated in 1893, depicts Civil War General Winfield Scott Hancock (1824–1886), and was created by American sculptor James Wilson Alexander MacDonald (1824–1908).” (www.nycgovparks.org) In the 1930s, the bust was restored with federal funding under Karl… read more
The General Services Administration’s former Regional National Capital Office in Washington DC is graced by a magnificent set of murals by Harold Weston commissioned under the New Deal. The building was originally the headquarters of the Treasury Department’s Procurement Division. In… read more
Lucienne Bloch’s mural, “The Evolution of Music”, encircles the upper wall of the old music classroom at the former George Washington High School. As the NY Public Schools Public Art for Public Schools website states: “Among New Deal New York City… read more
Victor Arnautoff’s fresco entitled “Life of Washington” consists of thirteen panels and totals 1600 square feet. It was produced with the assistance of FAP funds.
This project was originally assigned to Beniamino Bufano, but was awarded to Johnson instead when the WPA fired Bufano. This 1942 frieze entitled “Athletics” covers the back wall of the football field and still stands today. Supposedly, “WPA officials objected… read more
This 5’6″ x 27′ fresco mural “Advancement of Learning Through the Printing Press” by Lucien Labaudt was completed in 1936 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project.
This 4′ x 10′ fresco mural “Modern and Ancient Science” by Gordon Langdon depicts the physicist Robert A. Milliken. It is located near the entrance to the library at Washington High School.
Ralph Stackpole’s 5’6″ x 27′ fresco “Contemporary Education” in the Washington High School library was completed in 1936 with FAP funds.