The old post office, now village hall contains two Section of Fine Arts murals by Henry Billings: “The two Wappinger[s] Falls murals are located in the Town Hall, a Dutchess County Historical site, and formerly the town’s post office. The… read more
Nine murals resided in the auditorium lobby of the W. H. Kirk Middle School in East Cleveland, Ohio. “The school, built in 1930, displayed nine murals, collectively known as The Progression of Man. The murals were commissioned by the Works… read more
Panorama of Military History – Painted by T.L. Johnson and funded by the Federal Arts Project (FAP). Covering the south wall is a tremendous mural, in brilliant colors, which features a panorama of military history. The drawing covers an area… read more
Crescent shaped oil on canvas, 5′ x 7’9″. ” The Harvest”, by Louise Emerson Ronnebeck (1901-1980), portrays a young man and woman working together harvesting peaches provided by the rich Colorado soil. A water/paddle wheel in the background represents modern… read more
The oil-on-canvas mural “Automobile Industry” by William Gropper was funded by the Section of Fine Arts in 1941. It was originally installed in Detroit’s Northwestern Branch post office, but has since been relocated to the Wayne State University Student Center.
Michael Lenson painted “Enlightenment of Man” with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. The New York Times wrote the following in 2003 in a retrospective article of New Jersey-based artist Michael Lenson: “[Mr. Lenson] moved to Newark and applied… read more
Henry Simon painted a series of murals entitled “The Founding of McKendree College, Lebanon, Illinois.” The murals were intended for that institution but never installed. “The Circuit Rider,” “Bishop McKendree at the Site of the College” and “Peter Aker’s Prophecy”… read more
A set of several panels painted by William D. White in 1937 entitled “Harvest, Spring and Summer.” The murals were funded by TRAP for what was then the Dover DE post office and is now the Wesley United Church Education… read more
In 1937, the WPA’s Federal Art Project commissioned Jacob Elshin, an immigrant/refugee artist from Russia to produce a 3-panel historical mural for display in the West Seattle High School in Seattle. The panels of the mural illustrate the landing of… read more
The former post office building in Westbrook, Maine was constructed during the Great Depression and received an example of New Deal artwork: “Woodsmen in the Woods of Maine”. The oil-on-canvas mural was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, and… read more
Section of Fine Arts mural entitled “Pursuit of the Regicides” painted in 1939 by Karl Anderson.
Edward Laning painted the mural “The Long Hunters Discover Daniel Boone” for the Treasury Section of Fine Arts in 1942. It is viewable in the William H. Natcher U.S. Courthouse lobby.
In 1949, the Willowcreek Community Church purchased the former CCC Camp Vale’s Recreation/Commissary Building for use as their gathering space. Renovations changed the building soon after its purchase, including the addition of a living space in the back of the… read more
Rochester’s Wilson Commencement Academy houses a series of murals commissioned by the federal Works Progress Administration, painted by Carl W. Peters. “In 1937, Rochester’s WPA art project was called “the most interesting and effective outside of New York City” by… read more
Now housed at Rochester’s Wilson Foundation Academy, the federal Works Progress Administration commissioned a series of murals by Carl W. Peters for the city’s since-demolished Madison High School. “In 1937, Rochester’s WPA art project was called “the most interesting and… read more
This image shows artist Lucienne Bloch at work on a fresco entitled “Cycle of a Woman’s Life” for the Women’s House of Detention in Greenwich Village, New York City. The mural was completed in 1936 under the WPA’s Federal Art… read more