Belle Baranceanu painted this oil on canvas mural “Education and Culture” in 1935 with funds provided by the federal government. She rushed to complete it for the 1935-1936 California Pacific International Exposition and would later claim that she could not… read more
These two oil on canvas murals, entitled “Farm Landscape” and “Point Loma,” were painted by Charles Reiffel on a commission from the WPA Federal Art Project in 1937. They were originally installed at Memorial Junior High School. Each mural measures… read more
The largest portion of Lynn Fausett’s WPA-funded Barrier Canyon mural hangs at the back of the entry hall of the University of Utah Museum of Natural History at the eastern flank of the University of Utah campus (a smaller portion… read more
A portion of Lynn Fausett’s WPA-funded Barrier Canyon mural hangs in the Prehistoric Museum at Utah State University Eastern. It is the left-most section of an enormous, 82-foot canvas painting done by Fausett in 1940. The larger section of the… read more
This building was originally the Textile High School, then the Straubenmuller Textile High School, then the Charles Evans Hughes High School, before eventually assuming its current title as the Bayard Rustin Educational Complex. It is now an NYC “vertical campus”… read more
The historic Baytown Historical Museum building (formerly Federal Building / post office) houses an example of New Deal artwork: “Texas,” a fresco mural by Barse Miller. The mural was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It was restored… read more
This 1940 oil-on-canvas mural by George Goethke covers all 4 walls of the kindergarten room of Baywood Elementary School (formerly the George Hall School).
The Beach Chalet contains several New Deal artworks, including this set of monochrome frescoes by Lucien Labaudt located in the stairwell and corridor to the restrooms. The frescoes were painted in 1937 under the WPA’s Federal Art Project.
“San Francisco Life”, painted by Lucien Labaudt, is a fresco covering three walls of the dining room. The mural depicts four San Francisco tourist locales: the beach, Golden Gate Park, Fisherman’s Wharf, and the Marina. Recognizable figures of the time… read more
This oil-on-canvas mural by Grace Greenwood, entitled “The Progress of Power,” was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts and completed in 1940. It is housed in the Beech River Heritage Museum, which is the former post office.
In the late 1930s Emilio Amero completed work on the mural entitled “Tropical and Hudson Valley Vegetation,” for the entrance lobby in the new Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital. It was one of over a dozen murals painted by artists for the… read more
In 1936 Luis Arenal and his assistant completed work on the mural entitled “North American Tropical Vegetation,” for the First Lobby Stairway of the new Psychiatric Building at Bellevue Hospital. It was one of over a dozen murals painted by artists… read more
In the late 1930s Lily Furedi painted the mural entitled “Simple Way of Life” for the women’s large occupational therapy room in the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital, It was one of over a dozen murals painted by artists for the building with… read more
In the late 1930s, Axel Horn and an assistant, George Brodsky, who was a veteran of the Lincoln Battalion, completed work on the mural entitled “Industrial Landscape” for the first floor waiting room in the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital…. read more
In 1936 and 1937 William Karp painted a mural entitled “Normal Pursuits of Man” for the occupational therapy exhibition room in the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital. It was one of over a dozen murals painted by artists for the psychiatric… read more
“Materials of Relaxation,” by David Margolis was one of over a dozen murals that the Federal Art Project arm of the Works Progress Administration commissioned for the Psychiatric Building at Bellevue Hospital in the mid and late 1930s. “Materials of Relaxation”… read more
In 1937 Walter Quirt completed work on the mural entitled The Growth of Medicine from Primitive Times for the doctor’s lounge room of the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital. Quirt was one of over a dozen artists commissioned by the Federal Art… read more
In the mid 1930s, Agnes Tait completed work on the mural entitled “Summer Holiday” for the women’s recreation room in the Psychiatric Building of Bellevue Hospital. Tait was one of over a dozen artists commissioned by the Federal Art Project arm of… read more
The Farm Security Administration commissioned this mural in 1937-38 to commemorate the New Deal resettlement community of Jersey Homesteads, now called Roosevelt, N.J. The mural can still be seen in the Roosevelt Public School. “Ben Shahn’s mural for the community… read more
“The Legend of El Diablo” “…is an oil painting on masonite done by Clarkson Dye (FAP/WPA Project #7754). It measures 42-1/4″ x 52-1/2″ and hangs in the second floor legislative meeting room. Originally this painting was installed at Mt. Diablo… read more
Benjamin Franklin Middle School in Norwalk, Connecticut houses two 15′ x 11′ oil on canvas murals by Harry Townsend, titled “Work, the Soul of Progress” and “Arrival of the First Settlers.” They were painted in 1938 for the building, then… read more
Frank W. Long completed this tempera-on-plaster mural, entitled “Berea Commencement in the Old Days,” in 1940 with funds provided by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It is viewable in the lobby of the Berea Police and Municipal Center (itself a… read more
“In the 1930’s as part of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), murals were painted in courtrooms 253 and 352. In the early 1940’s an additional mural was added in courtroom 357. All three murals were designed by Teaneck resident William… read more
“Mail, Transportation and Delivery” and “Early Present Day Indianapolis Life” are two sets of murals painted by Grant Christian in 1935-6 with funding from the Treasury Relief Art Project. The artwork, which is not accessible to the general public, consists… read more
The CCC lodge at the Black Hawk State Historic Site contains “two murals painted in 1936 by Works Progress Administration (WPA) artist Otto Hake. The murals depict the seasonal activities of the Sauk and Mesquakie Indian people.” (www.blackhawkpark.org)
“Occupational Studies and Their Application” This fresco of six 9′ x 4’6″ panels was painted with the help of New Deal funds.
The Board of Water and Light Dye Conditioning Plant in Lansing, Michigan contains multiple examples of New Deal artwork, including: “Water As Destructive Element” and ” Beneficial Force of Water,” two murals created in 1940 by Frank Cassara. “The upper lobby features… read more
The Board of Water and Light Dye Conditioning Plant in Lansing, Michigan contains multiple examples of New Deal artwork, including: “Water as Hydro-Electric Power,” a 1941 mural by Charles Pollock. “Charles Pollock’s 1941 mural in the center shows man’s control over nature and… read more