Aimee Gorham created a large wooden marquetry at the rear of Ainsworth auditorium. The piece is usually hidden behind band equipment and room dividers. In danger of damage unless acknowledged as US property, not Portland Public School property. According to Barry N…. read more
These two 50′ x 45′ low-relief polished marble mosaics depicting “Organic and Inorganic Science” by the Swiss-born artist Herman Volz are located in the south portico of San Francisco City College’s Science Hall. Juan Breda served as assistant mosaicist for… read more
This Glendale Junior College fountain “Memorial to C.A. Nelson” is by Robert Boag. Created out of small tiles, it is about five feet tall and has three tiers. The bottom shows an ocean scene, the middle prehistoric villagers, and the… read more
This “Floor mosaic of twelve figures engaged in traditional Hawaiian athletic activities, done in polished black basalt set into a flagstone floor” (source note 1), was completed by Marguerite Louis Blasingame in 1935 for the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
These murals and mosaics depicting aviation, navigation, zodiac and constellations are in various locations throughout the Long Beach Airport Terminal. They were created by then 28-year-old artist Grace Clements. From Early Aviation in Long Beach: “Long Beach declared the terminal… read more
The mosaic, “Spanish California” was created by Stanton Macdonald-Wright for the Thomas Edison Middle School in Los Angeles, and hangs in the school’s auditorium foyer. Tiles of different shapes give the mural a variety of textures. Macdonald-Wright was an unemployed… read more
A mosaic mural entitled “Early California,” created by Stanton MacDonald-Wright for the Thomas Edison Middle School, has been lost. Stanton MacDonald-Wright was an unemployed artist hired by the Federal Art Project (FAP) in 1937.
Sargent Johnson created this two part project “Sea Forms” for the WPA “comprised of a 30 feet long, 14 feet high greenish-gray slate facade titled, Sea Forms, that was placed over the main entrance to the Maritime Museum on Polk… read more
These two mosaic murals made of unglazed colored body tile were “crafted from thousands of tiny tiles by Arthur Ames and his then-fiancee Jean Goodwin in 1937” (http://articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/14/local/me-murals14). When the original building was torn down and rebuilt in 2007, these… read more
Ethel Wilson Harris was already the owner of a well-established decorative tile business in San Antonio when she became the local technical supervisor of the Arts and Crafts division of the WPA in San Antonio in 1939. Her staff of… read more
Sisters Helen, Margaret and Esther Bruton created two mosaics for the exterior of the San Francisco Zoo’s Mothers Building in 1934. The mosaics depict “Children and Their Animal Friends” and “St. Francis.”
“The foyer of Barnum Hall displays a handsome tile mosaic fifteen by seventeen feet in size, called “The Vikings.” The mosaic, and the mural on the asbestos stage curtain [“Entrance of the Gods into Valhalla”], are the work of a… read more
This very large mural by Stanton Macdonald-Wright “Invention and Imagination” consists of 30 panels and covers 2,000 square feet. In it’s original installation, it covered all wall space in the reading room of the previous Santa Monica Public Library at… read more
The mosaic is situated in the entrance to the building (formerly the South Gate Public Library). It has recently been designated a culturally significant landmark. “The tile mosaic entitled Evolution of Writing was created by Stanton MacDonald-Wright during his employ… read more
Several different schools are located in this building. This untitled New Deal mosaic by Ilya Bolotowsky is located on the 3rd floor. It was installed in 1936.
Four images “crafted of square tiles square tiles that frame the vestibule beneath the clock tower,” collectively titled “Youth Carrying the Heritage of the Past into the Future,” are located at Trenton Central High School. NJ.com, 2014: “The mosaics were… read more
The WPA contracted an Italian mosaic setter for this project to teach Albro and other involved artists how to work with marble mosaics. The mosaic was built over the main entrance to Woods Hall. Unfortunately the mosaic appears to have… read more
This mosaic mural “Signs of the Zodiac and Heavenly Bodies” was created by John Stephan in 1936 with the help of WPA Federal Art Project funds.
Helen Bruton completed this 10′ by 20′ mosaic “Sculpture and Dance” in 1936 for the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project. It is located on the east exterior of the old University Art Building.
Florence Alston Swift completed this 10′ by 20′ mosaic “Music and Painting” for the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project in 1936. It is located on the east exterior of old University Art Building.