The New York Times wrote the following in 2003 in a retrospective article of New Jersey-based artist Michael Lenson: “[Mr. Lenson] moved to Newark and applied at the W.P.A. office on Halsey Street … Soon, Mr. Lenson was designing and… read more
Artist Seymour Fogel painted two murals, entitled “African Music and European Music” and “Religious and Modern Music”, in the Music Room (Room 327) of the Abraham Lincoln High School in 1936-37. The New York Schools website shows only a portion… read more
“Built in 1938-39, the Ada County Courthouse was constructed as part of the Depression-era Public Works Administration (PWA). Building the courthouse provided jobs not only for construction workers and craftsmen, but also for the artists that embellished it. The Art… read more
The Adams Hall project included a series of murals reflecting different aspects of Oklahoma business life by Craig Sheppard, a fine arts student at the time. The murals “illustrate some of the prominent industries in Oklahoma’s economy, including farming, stock… read more
Between 1935 and 1943, the Ah-Gwah-Ching (“out of doors” in Ojibwe) sanitarium housed “more the 160 items including prints, watercolors, oils and woodcarvings by such artists as Bob Brown, Henry Bukowski, Reathel Keppen, Dorothea Lau, Alexander Oja and Bennet Swanson,”… read more
Aimee Gorham created a large wooden marquetry at the rear of Ainsworth auditorium. The piece is usually hidden behind band equipment and room dividers. In danger of damage unless acknowledged as US property, not Portland Public School property. According to Barry N…. read more
The entry to the courthouse lobby is flanked by two murals made of marble backed with gold and silver leaf. “Exploration” depicts the Native American and Hispanic history of Alameda County, the other “Settling of California” depicts the settlement of… read more
“Youth and Ambition” by Virginia Pitman, was commissioned by the WPA and presently housed in Laramie, Wyoming’s Albany County Library. “The painting is divided into several sections. One shows men in line to enter a factory. Another depicts scientists in… read more
Ivan Albright’s 1934 self-portrait is his first ever known painted self-portrait (of many to be created throughout his life.) It was made as part of the PWAP’s easel painting project. He personally requested it be presented to his alma mater,… read more
These carvings adorn the ceiling of Building No. 1 of the Veterans’ Hospital, which was likely also a WPA project. From Public Art and Architecture in New Mexico 1933-1943 by Kathryn Flynn (2012): “Building No. 1 which currently houses the… read more
This plaque of Alexander Hamilton in military uniform is displayed near the entrance to the administration office of Alexander Hamilton High School in Los Angeles. The plaque was created in 1935 by Roger Noble Burnham, the same artist behind the… read more
WPA-funded animal sculptures have been moved from the CCC camp on American Island to Main Street in Chamberlain. A squirrel and coyote were placed outside the Chamberlain Swimming Pool, and two eagles sit on either side of the Avenue of… read more
Ann Rice O’Hanlon’s was commissioned in 1934 through the Treasury Relief Art Project to create a fresco featured in Memorial Hall on the University of Kentucky’s Lexington campus. “The large fresco in the lobby of Memorial Hall depicts scenes from… read more
Charles Kassler painted three lunettes for what was then the Beverly Hills Post Office in 1936: “Post Rider,” “Construction–PWA” and “Air Mail.”
With WPA support, Cal Peters painted several murals for the University of Wisconsin-Stout campus, circa 1935-1936. This 7′ x 20′ oil on canvas is entitled “Perrault’s Trading Fort.” It depicts a trading post on Red Cedar River at the future… read more
Richard Ayer’s bas relief “Nautical Abstractions” is composed of paint on plaster with embedded rope and piping. It is located on the 3rd floor of the Aquatic Park in San Francisco. Ayer also painted the mural “Tugboats” installed on the… read more
Beniamino Bufano’s brown granite sculptures of, respectively, a seal and a frog were completed in 1942 with the help of FAP funds. They are available for view on the bayside exterior porch.
This oil-on-plaster “Prismatarium” mural was designed by Hilaire Hilel to give “striking demonstrations on the relationship of color and light.” It covers the walls and ceiling of a circular room on the west side of the building. Originally, the light… read more
This 14′ x 125′ glazed tile “Sea Forms” mural was created by Sargent Johnson in 1939 with the help of FAP funds. The east end is incomplete because of artist protests over plans for a private restaurant on the site…. read more
Sargent Johnson’s 30′ x 14′ “Sea Form Marquee” frieze of incised green slate at the Aquatic Park in San Francisco was completed in 1939 with FAP funds. Johnson also created a 3′ x 5′ ceramic lintel bas relief on the 4th… read more
“The building contains 25 murals created under the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture (an art commissioning program similar to the Federal Arts Project operated by the Works Progress Administration). This was among the first locations for the integration… read more
Alfred D. Crimi painted two 7′ x 13’6″ murals for the Ariel Rios Federal Building. “Transportation of Mail” and “Post Office Work Room” were painted in 1937 with Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds.
Karl Free painted two 7′ x 13’6″ murals for the Ariel Rios Federal Building. “French Hugenots in Florida” and “Arrival of Mail in New Amsterdam” were painted in 1938 under the auspices of the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
George Harding painted these two 6’6″ x 13’6″ murals for the Ariel Rios Federal Building. “Post Dispatch Rider” and “Ben Franklin, Colonial Postmaster” were painted in 1938 with funding from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
These two 7′ x 13’6″ murals “Mail Service in the Tropics” and “Mail Service in the Arctic” were painted by Rockwell Kent in 1937 with the help of Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds.
This mural of four 13’4″ x 21′ panels “The Four Seasons and Signs of the Zodiac” was painted by Vahe Kirishjian for the Ariel Rios Federal Building in 1940, under the auspices of the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
Doris Lee painted two 6′ x 13’6″ murals for the Ariel Rios Federal Building. “Country Post” and “General Store” were painted in 1938 with Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds.
Ward Lockwood painted two 6′ x 13’6″ murals for the Ariel Rios Federal Building. “Opening of the Southwest” and “Consolidation of the West” were painted in 1937 under the auspices of the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
Reginald Marsh painted two 6’7″ x 12’6″ murals for the Ariel Rios Federal Building: “Sorting the Mail” and “Unloading the Mail.” They were painted in 1935 with funds from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
Frank Mechau painted two 7′ x 13′ oil-on-canvas murals for the Ariel Rios Federal Building in 1937: “Dangers of the Mail” and “Pony Express.” The work was supported by funds from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.