1 2 3 4 5 6
  • Grand Army Plaza: Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch Restoration - Brooklyn NY
    This dramatic arch in Brooklyn's Grand Army Plaza was created by architect John Hemingway Duncan in 1889-1892. The statuary on the arch was added over the next several years, by several different artists including William Rudolf O'Donovan (men), Thomas Eakins (horses) and Frederick MacMonnies (Army and Navy sculptures and the allegorical crowning sculpture). In the 1930s, the sculpture was restored with federal funding under Karl Gruppe, "chief sculptor of the Monument Restoration Project of the New York City Parks Department, from 1934 to 1937." The program was initially supported by federal funding from the Public Works of Art Project (Lowrey, 2008),...
  • Grant Square: Ulysses S. Grant Sculpture Restoration - Brooklyn NY
    "This large bronze equestrian statue by William Ordway Partridge (1861-1930) depicts Civil War General and 18th United States President Ulysses Simpson Grant (1822-1885). Though Grant’s reputation was tarnished after serving as President amidst one of the most corrupt administrations in the nation’s history, he is revered for his decisive action in bringing about the end of the Civil War... The sculpture of Grant was commissioned by the Union Club of Brooklyn and unveiled on April 27, 1896, the 74th anniversary of his birth. Partridge depicts a determined Grant in his military outfit, including his signature wide-brimmed hat. The work is one...
  • Haven Middle School Sculpture - Evanston IL
    Four limestone sculptures depicting "Children" by Mary Andersen were produced with FAP funds in 1938.
  • Henry Hudson Memorial Column - Bronx NY
    The column of the Henry Hudson Memorial in Henry Hudson Park was created in 1909, but the bronze sculpture by Karl Bitter intended for the top of the column was never added. This was rectified in the 1930s.  In 1937, the Department of Parks reported that: "Park Commissioner Robert Moses, sole member of the Henry Hudson Parkway Authority, announces that the Authority will furnish the statue and he has retained Karl H. Gruppe, who for years was associated with Mr. Bitter, to undertake the reproduction of the original design. Fortunately, the sculptor's widow, who resides at 209 East 72nd Street, has...
  • Hollywood Bowl Sculpture - Los Angeles CA
    This sculpture "Muse of Music, Dance, Drama" is actually a fountain, created by artist George Stanley. Medium: concrete and granite Size: 200' l x 22' h Restoration Info: Restored and re-landscaped in 2006. "The Streamline Moderne-style fountain was built in 1940 by the sculptor best known for creating the Academy Awards' Oscar statue. Standing over the bowl's Highland Avenue entryway, it depicts the muses of music, dance and drama. The 200-foot long, 22-foot high sculpture was heralded as one of America's most ambitious art projects in 1939 when artists and craftsmen hired by the federal government for the Depression-era WPA Federal Arts Project began constructing...
  • John Marshall High School: Swartz Sculpture – Los Angeles CA
    In 1934, Harold Swartz created a bronze sculpture for John Marshall High School (Los Angeles, CA) of the school's namesake. He likely received funding from the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP).
  • John O. Pastore Post Office and Federal Building Sculptures - Providence RI
    This WPA building is ornamented with "Cast concrete sculptures on the facade created by artist Raymond Barger, a Maryland native who studied at the Carnegie Institute and Yale. Completed in 1940, the carved sculptures were executed under the WPA's federal art program. The sculptures above the two main entrances depict stylized eagles. On the projecting pavilions, the sculptures consist of the head and torso of human figures, a sun or moon and stars, and illustrations of different means of delivering mail." (gsa.gov)
  • Juan Bautista De Anza Statue - Riverside CA
    Located at the southeast corner of Fourteenth Street and Magnolia Avenue in Riverside, California is the Juan Bautista De Anza statue, created by Sherry Peticolas with WPA support. The Riverside Art Association, which sponsored the project, donated $5,000 and the rest of the cost was paid for with federal funds. The space in Newman Park was provided by the city, and Riverside resident Ed J. Loustaunau, a great-great-great-great-grandnephew of De Anza posed for the statue, since he was thought to resemble an old portrait of De Anza himself. Because of the unstable nature of the land where it is located,...
  • Junipero Serra Sculpture - Ventura CA
    John Palo-Kangas created this 14-foot concrete sculpture in 1937 for the Federal Art Project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA). It stands in front of Ventura's city hall. In 1989, Wilbur Robottom made a bronze copy that replaced the decaying concrete original. The statue is of Junipero Serra (1713-1784) whose Mission San Buenaventura, built in 1782, was the last of nine Serra founded in California.  Serra is today a controversial figure – both sainted by the catholic church for his missionary work in New Spain and hated by many native Californians because of the treatment of indigenous peoples by the Franciscan padres who ran...
  • Kennedy Department of Justice Building: Jennewein Statues - Washington DC
    In addition to his overall design work on the sculptural elements of the Department of Justice, C. Paul Jennewein designed six free-standing statues in the interior of the building. One group of four is called "Water," "Earth," "Fire," and "Air".  The carving of the statues in Alabama Limestone was done by Roger Morigi c. 1934-36, with support from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.  The Jennewein/Morigi statues stand in the south central elevator lobby on the fifth floor of the Justice Department. Two others are known as "The Great Hall Statues: The Spirit of Justice and The Majesty of Law".  They are 12.5'...
  • Klawock Totem Park - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island, between 1938 and 1940. The CCC selected 21 poles out of the approximately 142 Tlingit and Haida totems that were originally located in the village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents of Tuxekan, the CCC moved the totems to the Klawock Totem Park. The carvings found at Tuxekan were commemorative poles. Unlike other old Native villages, Tuxekan did not have any house post carvings. According to Viola Garfield and Linn Forrest (1961), what also distinguished the carvings at Tuxecan was that they...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Adventures of Raven Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Adventures of Raven Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The Adventures of Raven Pole illustrates the series of legends about Raven the Transformer and the Creator. This was a central figure to the legends of the Tlingit....
  • Klawock Totem Park, Blackfish and Brown Bear Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Blackfish and Brown Bear Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The figure of the Brown Bear suggests that this pole belonged to the members of the Wolf clan. The pole marks the resting place of a woman...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Bullhead and the Fight with the Land Otters Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Bullhead and the Fight with the Land Otters between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. According to Viola Garfield and Linn Forrest (1961), the members of the Raven clan, who used to own the original pole, invited the...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Eagle and Blackfish Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Eagle and Blackfish Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The Eagle and Blackfish Pole belongs to the Wolf phratry and marks the resting place of a member of the clan. The eagle figure identifies the group to...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Eagle and Wolf Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Eagle and Wolf Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The Eagle and Wolf Pole belongs to the Wolf phratry and marks the resting place of a woman member of the clan. In their 1961 volume, The Wolf and...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Flicker Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) recarved the Flicker Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. In their 1961 volume, The Wolf and the Raven, anthropologist Viola Garfield and architect Linn Forrest note that the flicker bird, which tops this pole,  is also represented on the crest of...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Gonaqadate Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Gonaqadate Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. According to Viola Garfield and Linn Forrest (1961), the Raven at the top of the pole suggests that the totem belonged to the Wolf clan. The figure below the Raven...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Kats the Bear Hunter Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) recarved the Kats the Bear Hunter Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The pole illustrates the story of a hunter who married a bear. In their 1961 volume, The Wolf and the Raven, anthropologist Viola Garfield and architect Linn Forrest...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Mortuary Column - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) recarved/restored the Mortuary Column between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The owner of this totem is unknown. The column represents a brown bear figure at the bottom. According to the anthropologist Viola Garfield and architect Linn Forrest (1961), this figure...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Mythical Raven Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Mythical Raven Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. In their 1961 volume, The Wolf and the Raven, anthropologist Viola Garfield and architect Linn Forrest examine the history the symbolic meaning of the figures represented on the Mythical Raven Pole: “This pole...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Raven and Giant Clam Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) recarved/restored the Raven and Giant Clam Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. In their 1961 volume, The Wolf and the Raven, anthropologist Viola Garfield and architect Linn Forrest describe the figures of the original pole, which was in a deteriorated...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Raven and the Whale Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored the Raven and the Whale Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The carvings represent the figure of Raven at the bottom of the pole, and a whale at the upper part. In their 1961 volume, The Wolf and the...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Sockeye-Salmon Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Sockeye-Salmon Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The pole marked the resting place of a member of the Wolf clan. The figures of the pole illustrate the fact that the owner of the pole also owned a...
  • Klawock Totem Park, The Dog-Eater Spirit Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) recarved the Dog-Eater Spirit Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The pole marked the resting place of a man who was an ancestor of Gunya. The human figure at the top of the pole holds the body of a...
  • Klawock Totem Park, The First Blackfish Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the First Blackfish Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. In their 1961 volume, The Wolf and the Raven, anthropologist Viola Garfield and architect Linn Forrest describe the symbolic meaning of the carvings. The figures of the pole illustrate the story...
  • Klawock Totem Park, The Giant Clam Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Giant Clam Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. In their 1961 volume, The Wolf and the Raven, anthropologist Viola Garfield and architect Linn Forrest note that the Giant Clam Pole belonged to a member of the Raven clan....
  • Klawock Totem Park, The Long-Eared Monster Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the Long-Eared Monster Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found on a rocky point in the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. This pole belongs to the Raven clan, the same lineage that created the Bullhead and the Fight with the Land Otters Pole. It was created...
  • Klawock Totem Park, The Raven-Finned Blackfish Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored/recarved the The Raven-Finned Blackfish Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found in the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. This pole belongs to the Wolf clan at Klawock. A niche at the back of the pole contains the ashes of a member of the clan. The pole...
  • Klawock Totem Park, The Spirit of Hazy Island Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) recarved the Spirit of Hazy Island Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The pole was found in deteriorated condition when it was brought to the Klawock Totem Park from Tuxekan. Only the human figure at the bottom of the...
  • Klawock Totem Park, Woodworm Pole - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) recarved/restored the Woodworm Pole between 1938 and 1940. The restoration was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service program focused on the conservation of totems and Native cultural assets. The pole was originally found at the abandoned village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents, the CCC and the U.S. Forrest Service relocated the pole to the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island. The Tlingit master carvers made a copy of the original pole for the Klawock Totem Park. At the bottom of the pole the figure of the Tlingit Maiden holds is nursing...
  • Laguna Honda Hospital Sculpture - San Francisco CA
    This 6' cast-stone sculpture of Florence Nightingale was completed in 1937 with WPA Federal Art Project funds by sculptor David Edstrom.
  • Lane Tech College Prep High School Sculptures - Chicago IL
    Two 14-foot figures titled "Boys Rising From the Sea" were created by Charles Umlauf under the auspices of the WPA Federal Art Project.  These sculptures are placed in front of the school.  They are part of a group of New Deal artworks that embellish Lane Tech College Prep High School
  • Langston Terrace Dwellings: Animal Sculptures - Washington DC
    Langston Terrace Dwellings, opened in 1938, was the first U.S. Government-funded public housing project in Washington and the second in the nation.  Initial funding came from the Public Works Administration (PWA); later the U.S. Housing Authority stepped in to complete the job. The International Style complex was designed by African-American architect Hilyard Robinson, a native Washingtonian. It embodies Robinson's belief in the ability of fine buildings and art to inspire and uplift residents. Langston Terrace is well known for its artworks.   Five large animal sculptures by Hugh Collins, Lenore Thomas and Joe Goethe double as climbing structures in the children's playground. The Washington...
  • Lee Park: General Lee Statue Base - Dallas TX
    "General Lee and Young Soldier" is a sculpture by Alexander Phimister Proctor that stands in Lee Park in Dallas, Texas. The Dallas Southern Memorial Association gave the statue to the City of Dallas in 1936. The Dallas Park Board provided a location for the statue and the Works Progress Administration built the base the statue stands on. A plaque on the base denotes it as W.P.A. Project No. 4051. The statue was removed in September 2017.
  • Lincoln Elementary School Sculpture - Evanston IL
    The New Deal Art Registry reports that the sculpture "Industrial Trophy" at Lincoln Elementary School was created by Sidney Loeb with WPA Federal Art Project funds, but notes that the title and artist of this piece are tentative.
  • Lincoln Park Sculpture – Los Angeles CA
    In 1937, artist Peter David Edstrom made a stone sculpture of Florence Nightingale for Lincoln Park in Los Angeles, CA. The park is located a block away from the county hospital. Nightingale is depicted in a nurse's dress and hat. Her hands—which were broken and badly reformed—hold a candle. A matching statue by Edstrom is located at Laguna Honda Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
  • Little Flower Playground Bust - New York NY
    "A bust of La Guardia stands at the southeastern corner of the . The life-size bronze bust was created in 1934 by sculptor Jo Davidson (1883-1952), who also immortalized in bronze Mohandas Gandhi, James Joyce, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Gertrude Stein. The bust remained in Davidson’s collection until he died in 1952, when the La Guardia Memorial Association purchased it. The monument was dedicated and installed in its present location in 1957, when the La Guardia Houses and the adjoining playground were completed."
  • Logan Square Station Post Office Sculpture - Chicago IL
    Hildreth Meiere’s sculpture titled “The Post” was executed and completed in 1937. It can be found in the Logan Square Station Post Office. The piece is made primarily out of metal and is heavily influenced by art deco styles. This work depicts three figures, a mixture of male and female characters. The man in the center is depicted as an almost supernatural or godlike figure. Both his ankles and helmet have wings attached to them, implying flight. Above this powerful figure is a letter flying from one individual to another, all the while the middle figure has an arrow strung...
  • Lowell School Sculpture - Long Beach
    Russian-born sculptor Louis Zack created this bust of James Russell Lowell, the school's namesake, in 1940, with funding from the Federal Arts Project.
1 2 3 4 5 6