Flag House Restoration – Baltimore MD
“Sites of WPA projects to preserve historic shrines include … Flag House, Maryland.”
“Sites of WPA projects to preserve historic shrines include … Flag House, Maryland.”
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed replica barracks and other buildings at the Fort Abercrombie historic site. The buildings are still in use, but have been modified. According to State Historical Society of North Dakota, “After the fort was abandoned… read more
“Fort Abercrombie, in North Dakota [near the town of Wahpeton], was an American fort established by authority of an act of Congress, March 3, 1857. The act allocated twenty-five square miles of land on the Red River in Dakota Territory… read more
From a state historical marker at the site: “Fort Ashby, one in the chain of Indian forts built by George Washington, 1755. Sharp fighting here, 1756. In 1794, troops under Gen. Danial Morgan camped here on their way to suppress… read more
Fort Belknap was originally constructed in 1851 as one of the frontier defense posts in Young County, Texas. It was abandoned in 1859, and over the years, dismantled for the materials, with the exception of two buildings (National Park Service)…. read more
Between 1935 and 1938, the WPA performed structural renovation and historic restoration work at this site. From the Bridger Valley Pioneer: One of the Valley projects funded by WPA was the artesian well in Fort Bridger. It still runs today,… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA), Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and Works Progress Administration (WPA) performed structural renovation and historic restoration work at this site. Casper Star-Tribune, 1934: “Dedication of the new traps today at the Izaak Walton league park… read more
The Public Works Administration carried out major repairs and renovation work at Fort Christian in St. Thomas. Public Works Federal Project No. 11. The PWA work cost $1,995.35.
The Civilian Conservation (CCC) helped the National Park Service reconstruct Fort Churchill in the 1930s. Fort Churchill was an 1860s army post built along the Overland Emigrant Trail, which was abandoned in 1869 when its usefulness had passed. Afterward, it… read more
In 1937, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) undertook historical restoration for a number of sites in the National Parks, including the Civil War-era Fort Donelson battlefield.
Between 1935 and 1939, the WPA performed structural renovation and historic restoration work at this site.
The 3803 Junior White Company was established in Texas Jan. 5, 1938. They worked for three years prior to the program’s discontinuance developing the park’s campground, roads, and completing a partial reconstruction of the fort. The fort’s bakery was one… read more
Between 1935 and 1938, the WPA performed structural renovation and historic restoration work at this site. From Wikipedia: From 1928, the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Macon Kiwanis Club raised funds to create a replica of one of… read more
The WPA conducted extensive restoration work on this site. According to Frank Straus: “The second cycle began in the summer of 1936, when the Works Progress Administration rebuilt Fort Holmes, using an 1817 engineer’s detailed drawing and elevation of the… read more
Fort Humboldt in southwest Eureka, California, was a military outpost that helped secure northwest California for miners, settlers and the US government, from 1853 to 1867, when it was abandoned. It began to be seen as worthy of recognition and… read more
The WPA restored this fort at some point prior to 1938. From Rhode Island: A Guide to the Smallest State: “[T]he Works Progress Administration has restored the old fort, graded the land, and converted it into a park.” The site… read more
Between 1935 and 1938, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) performed structural renovation and historic restoration work at this site, a remote historic fort 68 miles west of Key West on Bush Key. In 1992, it became a part of Dry… read more
Fort Loudoun was in operation from 1756 to 1760, when it was captured by the Cherokee. It fell to ruin until 1917 when it was recognized as an historic site. In 1933, the Tennessee General Assembly purchased the fort and… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) restored “several historic buildings in Fort Mackinac.”
“During 1934-35, the Civilian Conservation Corps restored the fort and established public recreational facilities, which enabled Fort Macon State Park to officially open May 1, 1936, as North Carolina’s first functioning state park.”
The Works Progress Administration carried out historical restoration work at Fort Morgan, on Mobile Baywest of Gulf Shores. The fort was occupied by the Army in the 1920s and later fell into disrepair after it was vacated. In 1960 the… read more
The New Deal did a great deal of work restoring and improving historic battlefields around the country in the 1930s. As part of this effort, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) restored Fort Negley in 1937-38. This was an important Confederate… read more
The WPA performed structural renovation and historic restoration work at this site in 1937.
Established in 1833, Fort Nisqually was the first European settlement on Puget Sound and was sold to the Du Pont company in 1904. Efforts to preserve the fort were begun in 1933 and taken over by the Works Progress Administration… read more
WPA photos and captions from the 1930s show that the WPA helped restore the historic Fort Pike site in the 1930s. The 1938 WPA guide to the city of New Orleans describes the site: “Fort Pike, 36.1 m., occupies the… read more
"In the beginning of the P.W.A. practically every one of the national parks received financial assistance from it. Some of the parks and monuments were new and unimproved and others needed finishing. Among the many buildings were the Administrative Building… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) rebuilt Fort Raleigh on Roanoke Island, site of the first English settlement in North America. By the 20th century, virtually nothing remained at the site, which was known as “The Lost Colony.” The site,… read more
WPA crews rebuilt historic Fort Recovery between 1935 and 1939. The fort was originally built in 1794 on the site where Army General Arthur St. Clair was roundly defeated by the armies of a confederation of Miami and Shawnee Native… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) began to restore the foundation of Fort Rice and build replica structures on the historic site in 1937. Located eighteen miles south of Mandan in Morton County, Fort Rice was originally built as an Army… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted restoration and preservation work at Fort Sewall in Marblehead, Massachusetts.
WPA crews conducted restoration work at the site between 1935 and 1938. From the Library of Congress: “In 1937, the fort was restored as a WPA project. It has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, but today… read more
The fort dates back the early nineteenth century, when it was used to “promote and protext the interests of the United States in the region’s fur trade” (historicfortsnelling.org). Between 1938 and 1940, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) performed structural renovation and… read more
“Louis Vasquez and Andrew Sublette built an adobe fort on this site about 1835 as part of their fur trading enterprise. The two sold the fort in 1841 and it was abandoned a year later. In the late 1930s, the… read more
The W.P.A. conducted restoration and preservation work at Fort Wayne in Detroit, Michigan.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored and recarved hundreds of totem poles in Alaska, as part of a restoration program that lasted between 1938 and 1942. The program was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service effort to employ Alaska Natives… read more
President Franklin Roosevelt’s Secretary of Labor, and the nation’s first female cabinet member, Frances Perkins, lived in this house from 1937 to 1940. Today, it is a National Historic Landmark.
From 1913 to 1917, while FDR was Assistant Secretary of the Navy, the Roosevelts lived at 1733 N Street, NW. They rented this home from Anna Roosevelt Cowles, or “Auntie Bye,” who was Teddy Roosevelt’s sister. It appears the house… read more
From 1917 to 1920, while FDR was Assistant Secretary of the Navy, the Roosevelts lived at 2131 R Street NW. Today, there is a plaque by the front door that acknowledges the Roosevelts period of residence here.
In 1965, a small cenotaph memorial to President Franklin Roosevelt was placed in front of the National Archives, at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 9th Street, NW. It is made of marble and from the same rock quarry that… read more
The Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) Memorial in Washington DC was completed in 1997 at cost of $48 million dollars, funded largely by the federal government. It is located in West Potomac Park, along the tidal basin between the Lincoln and… read more