This school was rebuilt with New Deal help after it was damaged by an earthquake in the early thirties. WPA construction included an auditorium and a classroom building, as well as a boiler house. The buildings showcase a combination modernistic… read more
The WPA contributed $1,511 toward improvements for the Exchequer Grammar School. The work included the following tasks: “Improve school building lighting, leveling playground & building wall & frame.” WPA Proj. No. 65-3-4630, February 8, 1936. Exchequer no longer exists. It… read more
According to the NYC Parks Department: “In 1935, the City of New York acquired this property and it underwent renovations performed by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s (1882-1945) Works Progress Administration (WPA). In addition to removing the deteriorating music halls, carousels,… read more
Among the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects identified as completed in a Abilene Daily Reporter article from June 14, 1936 was “Repairs on a girls’ dormitory and finishing of an auditorium and recreation building [in] Ranger, at a total cost… read more
The WPA built an elementary school with agricultural buildings in Fair Grove circa 1935-1937. The site appears to now be used for all grade levels. In 2009, a windstorm with sustained winds of over 100 miles per hour tore off… read more
The river rock wall around community clubhouse was done by the WPA. Unsure whether the building itself is also a WPA project.
“The Fair View School building is a single-story, T-plan structure built in 1938 by Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor and designed in the Craftsman style . The school building, as well as the two adjoining service buildings (coal house and… read more
Miami and the surrounding Dade County were effectively without city or county parks until the 1930s. The city got its first park in 1925, after which the city was devastated by a hurricane the following year. The county received its… read more
In 1935-36 the WPA worked on reconstruction and renovation of the historic 1794 Fairfield Town Hall building, including the addition of wings to both sides of building; basement improvements and utility upgrades; a new cupola to replace an older cupola… read more
“This WPA-constructed building stands at 500 E. Choctaw, just east of Hwy. 81 in historic Chickasha, which is located on what was once the famous Chisholm Trail. This is a large one and two-story native sandstone building built in 1940,… read more
“The Livestock Exchange Building is located on the Grady County Fairgrounds, at 500 E. Choctaw, east of downtown Chickasha. The primary fairground buildings are this livestock arena, and an administration building to the north. The livestock building was originally constructed… read more
Bellingham, Washington’s old historic Fairhaven Hotel occupied the northeast corner of 12th Street and Harris Ave. “A new use for a famous old landmark in Bellingham hes been found with a recently approved Works Progress Administration project designed to convert… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a two-room schoolhouse in the Fairland community near Marble Falls, Texas. The rock masonry building was completed by February 1940 under official project number 665-66-2-485. The building is currently a private residence.
The Fairport Historical Museum houses an example of New Deal artwork commissioned by the federal Works Progress Administration. “In 1937, Rochester’s WPA art project was called “the most interesting and effective outside of New York City” by the regional director… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the no-longer-extant Family Court… read more