Before Midway Airport was called Midway it was known as the Municipal Airport. However, in the 1930s, under the watchful eye of the WPA (Works Progress Association), the airport went under construction to expand and add new runways for safer… read more
“Veterans Lake is located in the western portion of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area’s Platt Historic District. The lake is an excellent fishing venue, hiking and picnicking nearby. No-wake boating is allowed on the lake. It was created by damming… read more
“The Chickasha Junior High School building currently houses the Middle School. The gymnasium/auditorium so closely matches the architecture of the main school building that it appears to be a single construction project, however, research has only found reference to the… read more
Description of W.P.A. projects: “Chickatawbut Road, Braintree; work will be started in the early spring of 1939 on the general improvement and beautification of the Chickatawbut Road entrance to Blue Hills Reservation. Work will include tree removal, clearing, excavation, rip-rapping… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the no-longer-extant Children’s Court… read more
In 1935 and 1936, workers for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the Chippewa National Forest Headquarters. The building, overseen by Ike Boekenoogen, “an expert in log building techniques,” is “made entirely… from… read more
“Constructed in 1836 for Joseph Neibert, Choctaw is a transitional Natchez mansion, containing the general Federal style form established by Arlington and Rosalie while blending Greek Revival details.” (misspreservation.com) According to the Historic Natchez Foundation, the WPA worked to renovate… read more
The WPA allocated $15,019 for improvements at the Chouteau County fairgrounds in Fort Benton, Montana in August 1938.
The Works Progress Administration built new bathroom facilities at the Christiansted Grammar School. The site of the school is today occupied by the Florence Williams Public Library.
The Works Progress Administration built a new cistern and carried out the repairs and extension of the water and sewer systems, at Christiansted Hospital. Today, the facilities, known as Old Hospital, are vacant and in an advanced state of disrepair.
An 8’7.5″-span stone arch bridge on Church Road, in Holland Township, New Jersey, was widened by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The structure is/was located approximately 240 feet east of the intersection with Amsterdam / Crab Apple Hill Road.
The Works Progress Administration completed hardsurfacing work on Church Street in Christiansted.
“Circleville School is a historic school building located at Circleville, Pendleton County, West Virginia. It was built in 1937-1938, as a project of the federal Works Progress Administration. It is a two-story masonry building in the Georgian Revival style. It… read more
Completed rehabilitation of building started under S. E. R. A. projects, including plumbing, pipe covering, electric work, rearrangement of library and painting.–Healy, p. 69. This building no longer exists. It was demolished along with the neighboring County Jail and Hall… read more
The striking municipal auditorium on Main Street, Hill City, South Dakota was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938. Originally 50 feet x 100 feet, this poured-concrete building has since received additions on its north and south sides. The… read more
“The well-constructed City Auditorium, built by the Works Progress Administration between 1936 and 1937 in downtown Willmar, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and continues to provide long-term value for the city.” “Relief sculpture panels adorn the… read more
These two 50′ x 45′ low-relief polished marble mosaics depicting “Organic and Inorganic Science” by the Swiss-born artist Herman Volz are located in the south portico of San Francisco City College’s Science Hall. Juan Breda served as assistant mosaicist for… read more