Now known as the Bridge to Nowhere, this bridge in the San Gabriel Mountains north of Azusa did originally lead somewhere. It was built by the WPA in 1936 as an alternate route to Wrightwood through the Angeles National Forest…. read more
About 8.6 acres, renovated by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), completed in 1942 . Bridgeton Historic District is located along Bridgeton’s Mains Street and encompasses the town’s center of commerce, industry, civic activity. Collom’s General Store (56005) and Bridgeton Country… read more
Text from the state historical marker reads: “The community’s first school was housed in a multi-purpose building erected here in 1870. The Bristol School district was established in 1877. Youth from throughout the area attended Bristol schoolhouse built in 1886… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved a segment of Broad Branch Road NW, from Twenty-seventh Street to Grant Road. This was a “roadside beautification” project, described as follows: “Inspection of this project from time to time showed that, due to heavy… read more
Broadway Auditorium in Buffalo, New York was improved substantially ca. 1936 by federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor. 150 men were put to work as part of this effort. The building now serves as a municipal Streets Department warehouse.
The Works Progress Administration built storm sewers on Broadway Avenue in Clarksburg. The work consisted of “Construction of 24- and 18-Inch sewers.”
This state office building was constructed in the Art Moderne style of Carthage marble in order to complement the state capitol which is north of the Broadway building. It was partly constructed with WPA funds.
In 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an extension of the sanitary sewer up Broadway Terrace from Harbord Drive to Sheridan Road (just below the brow of the hills near Lake Temescal). (Oakland Tribune 1937) The current state of… read more
From 1938 to 1939 federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers constructed a freight shed at the north end of the Bronx Terminal Market. Much of the funding for the project came from a $250,000 allocation from the New Deal Reconstruction Finance Corporation… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed Richmond’s Brook Field Park Swimming Pool in 1938. The pool was a segregated one, operating exclusively for the African American people of the city, as was normal practice in the Jim Crow era. … read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed improvements in Brookdale Park NJ (Essex County) in 1937. Initial construction of the park began in 1928 following an Olmstead Brothers’ design. “The basic work was in place by 1930,” suggests the Essex County… read more