The Avenue E School was built in the 1900s and the Works Progress Administration remodeled/built additions to it. There is a place on the building where a marker has been removed. A marker on the next door Gymnasium rock building reads: Copperas… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration put many men to work starting in 1935 with a $197,000 street repair and maintenance project, along what were then dirt roads, throughout the borough of Brooklyn, New York. Roads improved included the 0.9-mile stretch… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the water pumping station… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) conducted improvements ca. 1940-1 at what was then the Aviation Mechanics Training School in Plattsburgh. The exact location and status of this facility is unknown to Living New Deal.
National Youth Administration (NYA) was stationed at Avoca State Fish Hatchery from 1935 until 1942. The improvements to Avoca State Fish Hatchery was one of the longest NYA projects undertaken in the state. The NYA built a shelter house with… read more
The old Avondale Elementary School building facing the street at 295 Western Ave., which is now an administrative building for the Avondale Elementary School District was built by the WPA, as is the school’s current gymnasium. These are most likely… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a culvert on Azalea St., north of Piedmont, on the border of Canadian and Kingfisher Counties, Oklahoma. Contributor note: “This culvert is located just east of Mustang Road on Azalea Street NE (Waterloo Road). It runs… read more
WPA Bulletin, 1937: “Up in Gloucester four WPA painters are specks in the sky as they swing in tiny bossun’s chairs from the top of the 250-foot Babson Reservoir water tank which they are painting. Such a height should make… read more
“The current courthouse was built in 1916 after a fire destroyed the first Baca County Courthouse in 1910. The elegant brick addition, which presents the Main Street facade, was designed by the Denver firm Mountjoy and Frewen and constructed in… read more
Works Progress Administration (WPA) project No. 3544 started 10/05/1935 included 3 additional fire stations. WPA funding supplied $13,495.01 and the sponsor $9,513.78 for payroll, materials, and equipment. Ground was broken for the new Back Bay fire station on the north… read more
At Badlands National Park (formerly Badlands National Monument), WPA and CCC workers constructed buildings, created parking areas, made road improvements, and installed utilities. These crews helped develop the park that so many tourists and vacationers enjoy today.
In November 1935, the Works Progress Administration authorized $8243.00 for the construction and improvements at a new two acre playground, which would become Bailey Park. The improvements included two tennis courts, a baseball diamond, wading pool, light, water and sewer… read more
New York City’s Parks Department website states: “During the Great Depression of the 1930s, Commissioner Robert Moses (1888-1981) and the Works Progress Administration constructed recreational facilities in the park, including a boat landing, several playgrounds, tennis and handball courts, baseball… read more
The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) completed a project in 1937 that involved “building of a new wharf bridging and steps at the Baker’s Island lighthouse,” a project intended to improve safety at the lighthouse for both visitors and the keeper…. read more
These two oil on canvas murals, entitled “Farm Landscape” and “Point Loma,” were painted by Charles Reiffel on a commission from the WPA Federal Art Project in 1937. They were originally installed at Memorial Junior High School. Each mural measures… read more
Originally built in 1915 as the Foreign Arts Building for the Panama-California Exposition, it was renovated and expanded in 1935, with WPA money for the California-Pacific International Exposition. Rose Hanks created an incised relief doorway depicting Junipero Serra for the… read more
Named for the numerous Pepper Trees that provide shade to the picnic area, the popular Pepper Grove offers picnic grounds with 15 tables and an extensive playground for children.