• Yosemite Lake/American Legion Park Improvements - Stockton CA
    These improvements include the creation of a recreational beach by dredging sand from the San Joaquin River, the construction of dressing room barges, the provision of lighting for the park, and the construction of 50 benches. Currently the park is used mostly for picnics and barbeques. The bathing beach no longer in use. Te park is operated by the City of Stockton.
  • Yosemite Valley (Pines) Campgrounds Reconstruction - Yosemite National Park CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completely reconstructed the public campgrounds at the head of Yosemite Valley, which are today known as the North, Upper and Lower Pines campgrounds. There had long been camping all over Yosemite Valley, but it had been an unrestricted free-for-all with cars driving across meadows and people camping wherever they liked. The damage to the valley's meadows and streams had been extensive before the National Park Service (NPS) brought a halt to the anarchy.   First, the NPS restricted camping to designated campgrounds at the head of the Valley in the late 1920s.  It then implemented a new...
  • Young Cemetery Cabin - Plattsmouth NE
    In 1855, the family of William and Rebecca Young were among the early pioneers to arrive in Nebraska following the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854, which opened the territory for settlement. A year later, William Young built a cabin as his family dwelling. Tragedy soon struck the family with the death of their infant Joseph, who was buried on the highest point of land on their homestead. The Youngs allowed other settlers to inter their loved ones at this location, which came to be known as the Young Cemetery. In 1888, the Young Cemetery Association formally organized to...
  • Young Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, and Fairlawn Avenue SE Sewers - Washington DC
    In 1940, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) installed sewers on Young Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, and Fairlawn Avenue in the district's southeast quadrant. The precise location is unknown, but these are probably storm sewers installed that connect to the outfall visible just downstream of the Anacostia Recreation Center. This work was part of a massive New Deal era program for Washington of sewer construction, separation of sanitary and storm sewers, and sewage treatment at the new Blue Plains facility in order to clean up the badly polluted Anacostia and Potomac Rivers.
  • Youngs Road Bridge - Lunenburg MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) laborers worked on Youngs Road Bridge by Baker Pond in Lunenburg, Mass. A WPA Bulletin tells a heroic tale of the men working on this project: LUNENBURG— While excited sympathizers searched vainly for a rope and firemen were speeding from Fitchburg, two miles away, WPA Foreman F. W. Cleveland and his crew working on Young's Road Bridge, saved two police dogs from drowning in Baker's pond, March 4. The Massachusetts Humane Society and the Fitchburg Humane Education Society have been told how the WPA workers by nailing planks end to end formed a path to the dogs who...
  • Youngstown–Warren Regional Airport - Vienna OH
    The airport which began service July 1st 1941 carried both passengers and mail. According to the Youngstown Vindicator: "In the mid 1930s, the chambers of commerce of Warren, Youngstown, Niles, Hubbard and Sharon, Pa., decided to make the airport project a community effort. In January 1937, a committee that included William F. Maag Jr., then-publisher of The Vindicator, went to Washington to secure Works Progress Administration funds. Eventually, Youngstown took over the whole $2.6 million WPA project. Land for the airport was obtained with the help of Maag and construction began in June 1939. Once again it appeared Youngstown would...
  • Yuma Territorial Prison - Yuma AZ
    In 1939-1940, the City of Yuma secured New Deal funding through the National Youth Administration to put unemployed youth to work. The City of Yuma ran the former Yuma Territorial Prison as a museum from 1940-1961.
  • Zalma School - Zalma MO
    Like many nearby New Deal projects, this Works Progress Administration community school features high quality stone craftsmanship. The building presently serves as a combined junior and senior high school for the rural Zalma R-5 School District.  
  • Zamora Infrastructure Projects - Knights Landing CA
    The WPA built walks, curbs and gutters in Zamora. Cement sidewalks were laid from Union School north to US 99 and east around the block of homes.
  • Zaragoza Park Improvements - Austin TX
    In January 1941, the National Youth Administration began building a bathhouse with dressing and toilet facilities at Zaragoza Park as well as a chain-linked fence around the pool that was connected to the bathhouse. The City of Austin furnished materials for the project and the NYA supplied the labor.
  • Zeeland City Hall - Zeeland MI
    This building allowed all city functions to be carried out in a single location for the first time, and included a council meeting room, a large public meeting room, a police station with jail cell, and city offices. This was the first public building built under the Civil Works Administration in Ottawa County.
  • Zephyr High School - Zephyr TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Zephyr High School in Zephyr TX. White rock building with ZHS in red above the door. The building has a metal WPA plaque. The rock wall is unmarked.
  • Zilker Club House - Austin TX
    Workers from the Civil Works Administration built the rustic-style Zilker Club House out of native Texas limestone in 1934, originally as a Boy Scouts of America hut. The clubhouse and the surrounding 30 acres of land were used by the Scouts for activities and Scout meetings. The clubhouse resides on a hill top and has a panoramic view of the Austin skyline. The clubhouse is now rented out for parties and receptions. The clubhouse is a contributing building to the Zilker Park Historic District. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 23, 1997.
  • Zilker Metropolitan Park - Austin TX
    Zilker Metropolitan Park is located at the confluence of Barton Creek and the Colorado River in Austin, Texas. The 351 acre park is administered by the Austin Parks and Recreation Department and is considered "Austin's most-loved park." Starting in 1917, local businessman Andew Jackson Zilker began donating land to the Austin School Board with the stipulation that the City of Austin purchase the land from the school board for use as a park. The money would then be used to create the Zilker Permanent Fund, an endowment fund for industrial education and home economics training in the schools. Architect Charles H....
  • Zilker Metropolitan Park: Girl Scouts Hut - Austin TX
    The Civil Works Administration built the Girl Scouts Hut in Zilker Metropolitan Park in 1934. Architect Charles H. Page designed the National Park Service rustic style building, which overlooks the Barton Creek greenbelt. The hut is still used for meetings and camps by the Girl Scouts and can be rented for use by the public.
  • Zilker Park Refectory - Austin TX
    The Civil Works Administration remodeled a historic house into a refectory at Zilker Metropolitan Park, based on architect Charles H. Page's design. Text from the state historical marker: "Originally built in the 1870s for Austin pioneer Ashford McGill, this native limestone structure and the surrounding property were purchased by Andrew J. Zilker who conveyed the land to the city for a park in 1931. Remodeled by the Federal Civil Works Administration for use as a multiple purpose park building, the house now exhibits 1930s-era detailing, including a pergola-covered courtyard. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1990"
  • Zimmerman Playground - Bronx NY
    "Zimmerman Playground, a block east of Bronx Park on the south side of Britton Street between Barker and Olinville Avenues. One of nine War Memorial Playgrounds opened by Mayor LaGuardia on July 15, 1934. The Parks Department press release credits the 'Works Division of the Department of Public Welfare' for some of the labor. Beyond that, there is no mention of how the playgrounds were designed and built. But by the reasoning laid out here, it's almost inconceivable that federally-funded work relief was not involved. But in any case, the playground was expanded a few years later, as described in a...
  • Zimmerman Trail - Billings MT
    "In Billings, WPA work crews substantially re-engineered Zimmerman Trail, which was originally hacked into the Rimrocks in 1890 by brothers Joseph and Frank Zimmerman. The WPA crew of 100 to 150 laborers started the project in 1939 with the intention of finishing in four months. The work took at least seven months."
  • Zion National Park - Washington County UT
    "The historical buildings and structures of Zion National Park represent a variety of buildings, interpretive structures, signs and infrastructure associated with the National Park Service's operations in Zion National Park, Utah. Structures vary in size and scale from the Zion Lodge to road culverts and curbs, nearly all of which were designed using native materials and regional construction techniques in an adapted version of the National Park Service Rustic style. A number of the larger structures were designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood, while many of the smaller structures were designed or coordinated with the National Park Service Branch of Plans...
  • Zion National Park: Bridge Abutments - Washington County UT
    The bridge abutments at the Emerald Pools and Angel's Landing trailheads along the Virgin River display rock work that was clearly done by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  The abutments and foundations have survived even though the original bridges have been washed-out several times by the river and replaced.
  • Zion National Park: Canyon Overlook Trail - Washington County UT
    The Canyon Overlook Trial at Zion National Park was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933.  It runs about a half mile from the east portal of the famous Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel to an overlook at the Great Arch.  Sections of the trail are cantilevers over sheer stone cliffs.  The trail was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
  • Zion National Park: East and South Entrance Signs - Washington County UT
    The East and South Entrance Signs were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934 and 1935 and are made of locally-quarried red sandstone pillars, with horizontal logs supporting the signs. The signs were designed by the National Park Service Branch of Plans and Designs in 1936 and made by CCC workers from Camp NP-2. They were altered in 1940 to the design of Park Service architects H.W. Young and A.C. Kuehl and the south entrance sign was rotated in 1960 so that it stuck out of the pillar on the east side rather than the west side in order...
  • Zion National Park: East Entrance Check-In - Washington County UT
    The smaller of the two check-in stations at Zion National Park is the East Entrance check-in.  The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completed the entrance in 1935.  (The North Entrance check-in was added in the 1990s.)  In 1934, the CC constructed a small ranger residence across the road from the check-in station.  The National Park Service designed the residence. Both the residence and the check-in have not been significantly modified or rehabilitated in over 80 years.  The residence was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
  • Zion National Park: Great White Throne Overlook - Washington County UT
    In 1942, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a path on the east side of the main road up to a viewing platform.  The CCC built the construction in stones that face west toward the Throne of the Patriarchs.  It is still intact, with modest rock work and the original concrete pathway.  The Great White Throne Overlook was the last CCC project in Zion before Congress cut the CCC funding.
  • Zion National Park: Pine Creek Irrigation Canal - Washington County UT
    Mormon farmers excavated the Pine Creek Irrigation Canal at the turn of the century, using water from Pine Creek to irrigate farmland on the west side of the Virgin River near Bridge Mountain.  The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built new headworks in 1934.  The CCC used a 15-foot sandstone boulder as an anchor to draw water directly from the Virgin River 1/4 mile upstream from the Pine Creek, conveying the water over Pine Creek in a flume.  The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funding.
  • Zion National Park: South Campground Amphitheater - Washington County UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the South Campground Amphitheater in 1934-35 in typical stonework for the stage, walls, walkways and steps.  Red sandstone was used in accordance with National Park Service rustic design principles.  The original wood benches, set on stone blocks, were replaced with metal seats in 1956.  The amphitheater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 14, 1987.
  • Zion National Park: Trail Work and Roadwork - Washington County UT
    The higher elevation portions of the East Rim Trail at Zion National Park were originally completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  They were intended as a government road and truck trail.  Vehicular use quickly diminished and it became a foot trail. Although the CCC did not built any other roads and trails in the park, CCC men did significant work on slope stabilization and retaining walls along all of the trails and roads.  Typical CCC stonework can be seen in several places shoring-up trails and roads.
  • Zion National Park: Virgin River Rip Rap - Washington County UT
    Several revetments (rock flood walls) along the Virgin River in Zion National Park's main canyon were installed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  Unfortunately, this kind of flood control work was a hopeless endeavor and most of the revetments were washed-out. Where they remain, however, they channelized the river, which is even worse because it has altered the deposition regime of the river and affected the ecology of the flood plain through the bottom of the canyon.
  • Zoar Road Improvements - Zoar DE
    Delaware utilized substantial federal resources in developing and improving its road network during the Great Depression. Among the dozens of projects undertaken by the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) during 1934 was construction along Zoar Road. An average of 1,410 were put to work each week during 1934 as a result of the CWA’s road, sidewalk, bridge, and other related infrastructure efforts in Delaware.  
  • Zoo Amphitheater - Oklahoma City OK
    "The Zoo Amphitheater was the first project completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in Oklahoma City. CCC Companies 875 and 895, consisting of about 400 young men of Oklahoma, lived in tents and later wooden barracks on the land north and south of Lincoln Park, adjacent to the amphitheater. Between 1933 and 1936, they laid the groundwork for the park, zoo, lake and this amphitheater. ... The amphitheater is large and will hold thousands of concert-goers. The sloped theater has native rock terracing, with wide grass areas where people can sit on blankets or chairs."   (waymarking.com)
  • Zoo Improvements - Dallas TX
    "The zoo was upgraded in the late 1930s, at an estimated cost of $100,000.00 with Federal Works Project Administration (WPA) labor and money and Texas Centennial bond money. An extensive system of concrete and natural stone bridges, park houses, winding walks, hillside stairways, and retaining walls along the creek banks were added. The WPA projects included new monkey cages, large animal dens and paddocks, and wild fowl cages. There was also a new building that served as both commissary offices and an entrance." (dallaszoo.com)