1 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51
  • Will Rogers Park - Oklahoma City OK
    "Development of this 118-acre park began in the 1930s as a joint project of the Oklahoma City Parks Department and the National Parks Service, with labor from the CCC and WPA. The CCC cleared trees and brush, pruned, built terraces and dammed two small tributaries of the North Fork River to form two small lakes. The WPA work consisted of many native sandstone structures, including picnic shelters, a wood and stone Rose Arbor, footbridges, low walls and terraces, curbing, gardens, curved roads, and a beautiful amphitheater. These stone structures are still used today and are in excellent condition. The coordinates...
  • William B. Umstead State Park - Raleigh NC
    "In 1934, under the Resettlement Administration, federal and state agencies united to buy 5,000 acres of this submarginal land to develop a recreation area. The Civilian Conservation Corps, as well as the Works Progress Administration, helped construct the site while providing much needed jobs. Four camps along with day-use and picnic facilities were built and the park opened to the public in 1937."
  • Williams Ranger Station - Kaibab National Forest AZ
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the original ranger station at Williams AZ.  A new main ranger station building and other structures have been added, but two CCC residences and barn/garage are still there (we are uncertain about the status of the shed and small garage). "Williams Ranger Station contains five historic buildings: two residences, horse barn/garage and corral, shed, and small garage that were constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees in the Bungalow/Craftsman style in 1934. The well-preserved buildings and their setting offer an excellent example of depression-era architecture and Forest Service design. Bungalows in the Craftsman style were usually...
  • Willowcreek Community Church Murals (CCC Camp Vale Murals) - Vale OR
    In 1949, the Willowcreek Community Church purchased the former CCC Camp Vale's Recreation/Commissary Building for use as their gathering space. Renovations changed the building soon after its purchase, including the addition of a living space in the back of the building and placing sheet rock on the church's interior walls. Over thirty years elapsed when, in the 1980s, an effort to insulate the building required removal of the sheet rock. That renovation work revealed the original walls and, to the church members' surprise, the murals painted by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollee Frederick H. Kluemper. That discovery sparked an interest among...
  • Wilson Park - Rapid City SD
    "It was not uncommon for WPA employees to work side by side with Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) members on projects throughout the Black Hills and in Rapid City. Some of these projects included landscaping work that utilized native stone in rock walls and ponds throughout Canyon Lake and Wilson parks."
  • Wind Cave National Park - Hot Springs SD
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) made a host of improvements to Wind Cave National Park, which had been established by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1903. The improvements made in the 1930s included a new administration building, a new operator's building, two new residences, and a large garage/storage facility.  Three other buildings were remodeled as residences. Other projects at the park included the construction of a reservoir and water system,  elevator housing and concrete stairs within the cave, game fences around the park, and new signs at the park's entrance. In addition, the CCC built bridges in the...
  • Windfall Harbor Shelter Cabin - Admiralty Island AK
    The Windfall Harbor Shelter Cabin is a historic cabin in the Admiralty Island National Monument. It is one of the several cabins the Civilian Conservation Corps built in the Tongass National Forest for public recreation during the 1930s, and is part of the Admiralty Island Canoe Route. A registration form of the National Register of Historic Places reports on the condition of the cabin as of 1995: “The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Windfall Harbor Shelter Cabin during the 1930s as part of the Admiralty Island Canoe Route. It is a three-sided Adirondack shelter cabin with a peeled log superstructure and shake walls...
  • Windsor State Forest - Windsor MA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps completed work at the Windsor State Forest in Windsor MA, between 1933 and 1938. "Located deep in the rolling hills of the Berkshires, Windsor State Forest is known for its beauty. Visitors can experience the cascading waterfall at Windsor Jambs, and the Windsor Jambs Brook winds through a wide gorge with 80-foot granite walls." (https://www.mass.gov/locations/windsor-state-forest) "In 1933, CCC Camp SP-9 (Company 115) was established at Windsor State Forest. The first year was spent on building roads and on forestry work, as well as improvements at Windsor Jambs where a trail, parking lot and picnic area were constructed.... Other...
  • Winooski River Local Protection Project - VT
    The Winooski River Local Protection Project is located along a 6.5-mile stretch of the Winooski River which flows through Montpelier, Berlin, Moretown, and Middlesex. The Winooski River Local Protection Project protects several thousand acres of farmland and reduces flood damage in downstream communities, including Montpelier, Middlesex, Waterbury, and Duxbury.   The project consisted of replacing an old timber dam at Montpelier by a small concrete dam (now called Bailey Dam); clearing and grading one mile of river bank above the dam, enlarging the channel, and adding rip-rap; and removing projecting ledges and points that restricted river flows at five spots between...
  • Winter Sports Area - Union Creek OR
    The Union Creek Historic District on the upper Rogue River in Union Creek, Oregon, is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places because it is a fine representative of a type of rustic resort popular in the early 20th century and has been little altered since the 1930s.   There are almost one hundred buildings and other facilities in the Union Creek Historic District, almost all of which conform to the Forest Service plans of the 1920s and 30s.  Roughly a third were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from 1933 to 1942. CCC enrollees worked during summer...
  • Wintersmith Park - Ada OK
    "Wintersmith Park was originally established in 1907 with the damming of Lake Creek. This 150-acre park had extensive work done by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933-34. "In the late 1930's, the WPA was brought in to continue the work begun earlier by the CCC. They constructed several picnic areas, and the WPA shield can be seen in the concrete table tops. They built the Firefly (Girl Scouts) cabin, a small house with a gabled roof, constructed of native sandstone, and clad with petrified wood. Several small flat bridges were built across creeks along the trails. Two stone arched road...
  • Wofford Lookout - Lincoln National Forest NM
    The historic Wofford fire lookout tower in Lincoln National Forest was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933.
  • Wooden Bridge - Grand Canyon Village AZ
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted extensive development work at Grand Canyon Village, including the construction of a modest wooden bridge across Bright Angel Wash that can be found along a path between the railroad tracks and Village Loop Drive, about 300 feet down hill (but inaccessible) from Coulter Hall. CCC Walking Tour: "The CCC built two bridges across this normally dry drainage leading to the railroad tracks. The remaining bridge dates to 1937. A close look reveals that some of the timbers have been replaced recently, including adding metal beams underneath."
  • Woods Pond Beach - Bridgton ME
    Construction on Woods Pond Beach was performed by CCC Co. 1124, located in Bridgton. According to the 1937 1st District CCC yearbook, "The camp has been very fortunate in having a number of ideal lunch ground sites located within easy working distance of camp. To date five of these have been constructed, and are being enthusiastically used by visitors and residents alike. The most rustic is located at Willis Brook, Bridgton. The shelters on this lunch ground are roofed with hand hewn shingles." CCC Yearbook
  • Woodson State Fishing Lake - Toronto KS
    Woodson State Fishing Lake was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps near Toronto KS.
  • Woody Mountain Lookout - Coconino National Forest AZ
    The historic Woody Mountain fire lookout tower was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1936.
  • Woolridge Wayside Picnic Area, Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest - Dillwyn VA
    The Woolridge Wayside picnic area on Woolridge Road (Rt. 640) in the Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest "features some large black walnut trees and a spring at the bottom of the hill. The Civilian Conservation Corps, or CCC, built this shelter, as well as some of the cabins at nearby Holiday Lake 4-H Center."   (https://www.dof.virginia.gov)
  • Wrentham State Forest Improvements - Wrentham MA
    The Massachusetts Department of Forestry acquired "one thousand acres of land in Wrentham and Plainville" in 1934. CCC labor was utilized to "clean up the underbrush, make the woodroads into real roads, rebuild old dams which have been down for many years, stock the ponds with fish, and set out young pine trees."
  • Wrightsville Dam - Montpelier VT
    A flood in 1927 brought about plans to construct four flood control projects, made possible by the New Deal and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Wrightsville Dam is one of those. Construction began in August 1933  and was completed in October 1935. The dam is earthfill with stone slope protection. It is 1,525 feet long and 115 feet high. The dam and reservoir are located on the North Branch of the Winooski River, about  three miles north of Montpelier on Route 12.  Its main purpose is to protect Montpelier. According to the US Army Corps of Engineers: "Wrightsville Reservoir was one of four...
  • WWI Memorial Park - North Attleborough MA
    "The road network that would become North Attleboro's World War I Memorial Park was cut by CCC crews."
  • Wyalusing State Park - Bagley WI
    Both the WPA and the CCC worked extensively in this park. "The Civilian Conservation Corps(CCC) began its work at Wyalusing State Park (formerly Nelson Dewey State Park) in 1935. The work continued until 1937. In June of 1935, the men of CCC company 2672 set up tent barracks in what is now, the Outdoor Group Camp. The five tent barracks were home to 200 men. The tent barracks were soon replaced with wooden structures made up of barracks, officers quarters, mess hall, latrine, infirmary, recreation hall, and supply depot. The CCC developed and improved roads, trails, and to some extent, the buildings that...
  • Yaqui Pass Rd. (San Diego County Route 3) - Borrego Springs CA
    Twelve miles long, County Road S-3 connects Highway 78 and County Road S-22 at Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs. According to the curator at the Julian Historical Society, this was a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project.
  • Yaquina Bay Bridge - Newport OR
    The bridge at the mouth of the Yaquina River at Newport OR was constructed with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1934-36.  It was one of five PWA-funded bridges over the Alsea River, Coos Bay, Siuslaw River, Umpqua River, and Yaquina River that completed the Oregon Coast Highway. All but the Alsea River bridge still stand. The coast highway was developed after 1914 by the state and county highway departments, but money ran out in the Great Depression before the job could be finished.  With the advent of the New Deal, the PWA offered $1.4 million and a loan...
  • Yaquina Bay State Recreation Site (Yaquina Bay State Park) - Newport OR
    The original 32-acre tract that established Yaquina Bay State Park was donated by the United States Department of Commerce, Lighthouse Service on September 1, 1934. Shortly after, Civilian Conservation Corps workers from CCC Camp Newport began development of the site. Located on the north shore of Yaquina Bay, with access to the ocean beach and views of the jetty, the park offered scenic amenities given its distinctive location as well as its historic landmark. The wooden Yaquina Bay Lighthouse, active from 1871 to 1874, served as a focal point for the new picnic area developed by CCC enrollees. They also laid-out...
  • Yax-te Totem (Also Big Dipper Totem) - Juneau AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carved the Yax-te Totem, as part of a restoration program that lasted approximately between 1938 and 1942. The program was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service effort to employ Alaska Natives and conserve totems and Native cultural assets. U.S. Forest Service architect Linn A. Forrest oversaw the joint program of the Forest Service and the CCC throughout Southeast Alaska. The Yax-te Totem, also known as the Big Dipper Totem, was carved by Frank St. Clair, who was a Tlingit carver from Hoonah, and two CCC enrollees circa 1939-1941. In the early 1990s, after it was damaged...
  • Yellowstone National Park Development - WY
    "The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal relief agency for young men, played a major role" in the development of Yellowstone National Park "between the years 1933–42 in developing Yellowstone facilities. CCC projects included reforestation, campground development of many of the park's trails and campgrounds, trail construction, fire hazard reduction, and fire-fighting work. The CCC built the majority of the early visitor centers, campgrounds and the current system of park roads."
  • Yelping Hill Road - Cornwall CT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) built Yelping Hill Road.
  • Yosemite and Curry Village Improvements - Yosemite National Park CA
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees made many improvements at Yosemite Village and Curry Village at the east end of Yosemite Valley, in the heart of Yosemite National Park. At the time, these were known as the Old Village, New Village and Camp Curry. At Yosemite Village, the CCC teams installed log curbing, laid out new paths, and planted ferns, trees, and shrubs around the administration building, new hospital, residences, and Yosemite Museum. Some of the landscaping was done with native plants transplanted from various places outside the valley.  CCCers placed flagstones around the telescopes in front of the museum. Under the direction of...
  • Yosemite Valley (Pines) Campgrounds Reconstruction - Yosemite National Park CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completely reconstructed the public campgrounds at the head of Yosemite Valley, which are today known as the North, Upper and Lower Pines campgrounds. There had long been camping all over Yosemite Valley, but it had been an unrestricted free-for-all with cars driving across meadows and people camping wherever they liked. The damage to the valley's meadows and streams had been extensive before the National Park Service (NPS) brought a halt to the anarchy.   First, the NPS restricted camping to designated campgrounds at the head of the Valley in the late 1920s.  It then implemented a new...
  • Zilker Metropolitan Park - Austin TX
    Zilker Metropolitan Park is located at the confluence of Barton Creek and the Colorado River in Austin, Texas. The 351 acre park is administered by the Austin Parks and Recreation Department and is considered "Austin's most-loved park." Starting in 1917, local businessman Andew Jackson Zilker began donating land to the Austin School Board with the stipulation that the City of Austin purchase the land from the school board for use as a park. The money would then be used to create the Zilker Permanent Fund, an endowment fund for industrial education and home economics training in the schools. Architect Charles H....
  • Zion National Park - Washington County UT
    "The historical buildings and structures of Zion National Park represent a variety of buildings, interpretive structures, signs and infrastructure associated with the National Park Service's operations in Zion National Park, Utah. Structures vary in size and scale from the Zion Lodge to road culverts and curbs, nearly all of which were designed using native materials and regional construction techniques in an adapted version of the National Park Service Rustic style. A number of the larger structures were designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood, while many of the smaller structures were designed or coordinated with the National Park Service Branch of Plans...
  • Zion National Park: Bridge Abutments - Washington County UT
    The bridge abutments at the Emerald Pools and Angel's Landing trailheads along the Virgin River display rock work that was clearly done by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  The abutments and foundations have survived even though the original bridges have been washed-out several times by the river and replaced.
  • Zion National Park: Canyon Overlook Trail - Washington County UT
    The Canyon Overlook Trial at Zion National Park was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933.  It runs about a half mile from the east portal of the famous Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel to an overlook at the Great Arch.  Sections of the trail are cantilevers over sheer stone cliffs.  The trail was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
  • Zion National Park: East and South Entrance Signs - Washington County UT
    The East and South Entrance Signs were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934 and 1935 and are made of locally-quarried red sandstone pillars, with horizontal logs supporting the signs. The signs were designed by the National Park Service Branch of Plans and Designs in 1936 and made by CCC workers from Camp NP-2. They were altered in 1940 to the design of Park Service architects H.W. Young and A.C. Kuehl and the south entrance sign was rotated in 1960 so that it stuck out of the pillar on the east side rather than the west side in order...
  • Zion National Park: East Entrance Check-In - Washington County UT
    The smaller of the two check-in stations at Zion National Park is the East Entrance check-in.  The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completed the entrance in 1935.  (The North Entrance check-in was added in the 1990s.)  In 1934, the CC constructed a small ranger residence across the road from the check-in station.  The National Park Service designed the residence. Both the residence and the check-in have not been significantly modified or rehabilitated in over 80 years.  The residence was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
  • Zion National Park: Great White Throne Overlook - Washington County UT
    In 1942, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a path on the east side of the main road up to a viewing platform.  The CCC built the construction in stones that face west toward the Throne of the Patriarchs.  It is still intact, with modest rock work and the original concrete pathway.  The Great White Throne Overlook was the last CCC project in Zion before Congress cut the CCC funding.
  • Zion National Park: Pine Creek Irrigation Canal - Washington County UT
    Mormon farmers excavated the Pine Creek Irrigation Canal at the turn of the century, using water from Pine Creek to irrigate farmland on the west side of the Virgin River near Bridge Mountain.  The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built new headworks in 1934.  The CCC used a 15-foot sandstone boulder as an anchor to draw water directly from the Virgin River 1/4 mile upstream from the Pine Creek, conveying the water over Pine Creek in a flume.  The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funding.
  • Zion National Park: South Campground Amphitheater - Washington County UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the South Campground Amphitheater in 1934-35 in typical stonework for the stage, walls, walkways and steps.  Red sandstone was used in accordance with National Park Service rustic design principles.  The original wood benches, set on stone blocks, were replaced with metal seats in 1956.  The amphitheater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 14, 1987.
  • Zion National Park: Trail Work and Roadwork - Washington County UT
    The higher elevation portions of the East Rim Trail at Zion National Park were originally completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  They were intended as a government road and truck trail.  Vehicular use quickly diminished and it became a foot trail. Although the CCC did not built any other roads and trails in the park, CCC men did significant work on slope stabilization and retaining walls along all of the trails and roads.  Typical CCC stonework can be seen in several places shoring-up trails and roads.
  • Zion National Park: Virgin River Rip Rap - Washington County UT
    Several revetments (rock flood walls) along the Virgin River in Zion National Park's main canyon were installed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  Unfortunately, this kind of flood control work was a hopeless endeavor and most of the revetments were washed-out. Where they remain, however, they channelized the river, which is even worse because it has altered the deposition regime of the river and affected the ecology of the flood plain through the bottom of the canyon.
1 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51