A Department of Parks press release from March 17, 1935 describes the extensive improvements made to Brooklyn’s Grand Army Plaza with New Deal support: “The Grand Army Plaza, constituting the main entrance to Prospect Park, Brooklyn, is to be completely… read more
From 1939 to 1940 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements and built additions to Gresham High School in Gresham, Oregon, just east of Portland. The additions included a gym, an agricultural building, the north wing of the classrooms, and an auditorium. Michael Schaefer, Gresham… read more
This oil-on-canvas mural “Scenes of Industry” by Edward Britton was painted in 1934. It was removed from the old building in 1955, put in storage, and reinstalled in 1955.
“Hinchliffe Stadium is a historic 10,000-seat municipal stadium in Paterson, built 1931–32 on a dramatic escarpment above Paterson’s National Historic Landmark Great Falls … It is one of only a handful of stadiums surviving nationally that once played host to… read more
This building was originally the Wailuku Armory and was constructed with New Deal money. In 2003, the Iao Intermediate School took over the building: “Established in 1928 as Wailuku Junior High; when Baldwin High School opened in 1939, the junior… read more
This series of murals painted by Ethel Parsons hangs in the James T. Foley Courthouse, originally the Albany Post Office, in Albany, New York. From the General Services Administration entry on the courthouse: “Marble pilasters divide the main lobby into… read more
This stately 2 story addition to the existing high school, dating to 1921, consists predominately of the gymnasium and auditorium. The front brick façade is accentuated by crenelations at the top of the front wall and the style of the… read more
A December 1935 article in Bangor Daily News reported that “The Department of Agriculture announced today presidential approval of five Maine grade crossing elimination projects involving $396,922 of the state’s $1,425,861 quota for that purpose. The projects were submitted by… read more
$110,000 from the Federal Governement helped to construct an elegant concrete Art Deco bridge over the Pacific Electric tracks to replace an obsolete narrow wooden bridge. It was replaced in 1972 by the current utilitarian structure.
An August 1935 Parks Department press release lists Mariners Harbor Playground as one of seventy-three play areas developed in the preceding year with “city, state and federal relief funds.” The release describes this park as having play areas designed for… read more